Family Suite on Caribbean Princess

minniegirl

We are thinking of booking the family suite for a 9 night caribbean cruise in 2009. There would be 2 couples and then two single women. Wondering about the configuration of this suite and if it would work for us. Has anyone stayed in one of these suites (possibly on another ship) and might have pictures to share? We like to idea of a communal living room but want to be sure there are enough amenities to accommodate 6 adults.

We are thinking of booking the family suite for a 9 night caribbean cruise in 2009. There would be 2 couples and then two single women. Wondering about the configuration of this suite and if it would work for us. Has anyone stayed in one of these suites (possibly on another ship) and might have pictures to share? We like to idea of a communal living room but want to be sure there are enough amenities to accommodate 6 adults.

for 9 days-- all those females--- yikes. if you google the name of the ship family stateroom you get quite a few hits.

sounds like its two cabins together-- D105/101

wouldnt the couples like private time-- together time for those days?

probably saving quite a bit of money too.

We visited a family suite on the Star Princess last year. They are a mini suite and inside cabin put together with a common living room that has an extra sofa in it. For the full suite price that these charge, I would definitely look into something else.

The inside part of the family suite does have a door that closes off the bedroom, but it still had the tiny inside cabin bathroom and four single bunk type beds in it. There is no door to close off the sleeping are of the mini suite side, so it is open to the sofa beds in the livingroom area.

The mini suite side has a typical mini suite bathroom in it, no jacuzzi tub like a full suite has.

It does not resemble a full suite in any way compared to other full suites onboard. As said, exactly like an inside cabin and a mini suite with part of the wall removed. Plus, they are usually all the way up front which makes for a rougher ride and a balcony that is very very windy.

It does come with all of the full suite perks, but the design is somewhat strange and I think would be uncomfortable with two couples and two single women staying in one. Might be great for a family with kids though.

I wish I would have taken pictures of it now, but since it wasn't my stateroom, I didn't feel comfortable doing that.

Personally I would book three contiguous (is that a word?? I mean next to each other) balcony cabins or if money was not an issue three minisuites. I think six people would be better served with three rather than two bathrooms and everyone would have a bed. No one would have to sleep on a bunk or a pull-out sofa. The balcony dividers could be opened so you could go from room to room easily.

I was actually "upgraded" to a Family Suite on the upcoming 5/26 CB sailing out of NYC yesterday. Naturally, I was skeptical about why it was still available, and I hope I didn't make the wrong decision....so any feedback anyone has is appreciated :)

When my TA called, I was a bit hesitant about accepting the offer based upon some of the comments and the windy balcony. Since we had already booked a mini-suite and an inside cabin just couple of doors down from the family suite....I figured that the additional suite benefits were a no-brainer (since I wasn't paying) and I happily accepted the offer. I have traditionally purchased the thermal suite pass and internet access packages so having these benefits included is a huge plus for me.

I am sailing with my Mom (54) and my three younger sisters (23, 16, 14) and after looking at the layout figured it will work very well for our particular situation (being all together, but still having a place where the girls have a dark cabin and can keep their own hours). I'm not sure how it would work for three couples from a privacy perspective, however.....

For everyone's benefit, I will take pictures and post as part of my review after we return.

I was actually "upgraded" to a Family Suite on the upcoming 5/26 CB sailing out of NYC yesterday. Naturally, I was skeptical about why it was still available, and I hope I didn't make the wrong decision....so any feedback anyone has is appreciated :)

When my TA called, I was a bit hesitant about accepting the offer based upon some of the comments and the windy balcony. Since we had already booked a mini-suite and an inside cabin just couple of doors down from the family suite....I figured that the additional suite benefits were a no-brainer (since I wasn't paying) and I happily accepted the offer. I have traditionally purchased the thermal suite pass and internet access packages so having these benefits included is a huge plus for me.

I am sailing with my Mom (54) and my three younger sisters (23, 16, 14) and after looking at the layout figured it will work very well for our particular situation (being all together, but still having a place where the girls have a dark cabin and can keep their own hours). I'm not sure how it would work for three couples from a privacy perspective, however.....

For everyone's benefit, I will take pictures and post as part of my review after we return.

It will work good for you and the girls.

It is a nice setup.

The reason the balcony is windy is that there is no protection to the front of the ship and it is fully exposed so any movement forward by the ship will produce the wind. :)

I agree, for two adults and three girls, perfect set up, especially with an upgrade. The two adults can share the mini suite part of the suite and the three girls can take the inside section with their own small bathroom and they will also have a private entrance.

As an upgrade, this will work perfectly, but paying the entire price for this family suite would be pretty iffy. (could be why it was still availalbe, ya think? :)) And for several adults, it also might be less practical.

We were upgraded to the Family Suite on the Diamond a couple of years back and it was wonderful for our family of 4. Our two daughters took the "inside" cabin portion and we had the larger "mini-suite" section. The Full Suite perks were wonderful. When Princess called me to offer the upgrade (as we were leaving for the airport), the lady warned me about the wind and the balcony usage. However, we were on the Inside Passage in Alaska and there was never a time when we could not be out on the balcony. I believe it could be very different in other cruising destinations. One advantage to the cabin being on the front of the ship is that you have such a range to view...everything in front of you as well as to your side. I found it very helpful for wildlife spotting.

I have a couple of pics, one of the balcony--it's huge. We had 4 other family members on the ship and we could all be out on the balcony together. Really cool. The other picture is of the common living area--it was really nice to have this area to eat, gather, visit, get away in.

I agree with Toto...as an upgrade, it is really cool for the right group. But to pay for it, it's a chunk of change.:)

If you have any other questions, fire away.

70_3_1.jpg.a6543e1df77275f74f66be167b0c4841.jpg

71_1_1.jpg.b90f94a1bdafb33dbb7305ef4982cb05.jpg

my sister and her family had this catagory room on the Grand Princess in november of 2006 and she was EXTREMELY disappointed especially compared to the family suite on RCI a year earlier. She had herself, husband, and three kids....the first FOUR people had to pay full price, which was the same price my parents paid to have the Grand Suite. If it isn't a free upgrade I'd suggest 3 mini-suites, preferably on Emerald Deck because of the covered balcony (cat AD) or maybe even 3 VS or PS, maybe even a PH if the price is comparable. Plus this suite is at the front of the ship and my sister said it was very rough while we were midship and didn't feel a thing

Archived