I have never been on a "bad" cruise. The one cruise that I took early in my cruising career turned out to be a source of serious laughter for me and my travel partner. We asked a TA to give us an inexpensive nice cruise. We were on RCI's Nordic Prince for a Mexican Baja Cruise from California. OMG from the flight to CA ( I had never flown that long non stop before) to the cold cold weather sailing from LA, to the seniors in walkers, on scooters and with canes we were totally totally entertained. We laughed each day and made many friends with all the seniors. To put it in perspective we were in our 40's and literally the youngest adults on board. So what I learned was to do my own research and if not, be very careful with the terms I use to explain my preferences.

Every single cruise I have been on has been an enjoyable experience. I have made many ship friends and some have turned into home friends too.

I agree with the other posters that reviews should be read with a grain of salt. I read one once that had to been made up for some unethical reason. EVERYTHING according to the review was bad. Veteran cruisers know that if something is wrong or not to your liking and can be corrected by the cruise line, it will be IF you notify them. Why suffer through your vacation and complain to others when you get home.

As far as balconies--I am so sad that I have experienced that luxury because now I always have to have one. LOL Right now I am considering an ocean view on Oasis, but I don't think I can do it!

Happy Cruising

Remember it's your VACATION--it's supposed to be fun!

Just to add a totally different perspective re: complainers...

My DH and I are going on a cruise in 9 days. It will be his first cruise and my first in a decade. This also happens to be the first real vacation we will ever take together, since we met! (All other travels have involved some sort of family duties, and we didn't even get to go on a honeymoon due to yet another family obligation.)

For this reason, there is no bank limit on this trip. He is insisting. To be honest, this is a bit outside my comfort zone, but the reality is, just planning it has felt like a vacation. I have had the privilege of booking the very best shore excursions, looking at pictures of our suite almost daily, reading about specialty restaurants on the ship (even downloaded all of the menus). We are both so excited that I would be shocked if we found a single thing to be unhappy about.

On the flip side -- I have an acquaintance who lives way beyond their means, takes cruises 2-3 times a year (always looking for the best "bargain"), is furious at having to spend $2 on a Coke, doesn't understand why people in more expensive cabins should get access to more things on the ship, blah blah blah.

For so many people, a cruise represents a major expenditure that they really can't afford, so they come aboard already stressed about the money and it can only go downhill from there. And if they aren't familiar with cruising, they will absolutely get sticker shock at what is not included in the fare. I think that is probably the root of a lot of complaining.

I learned a great mental trick for when someone is manifesting negativity. In my brain, I say "Energy Shields UP" and visualize a clear sheet of thick glass forming between me and that person. It is amazing how much tension (from listening to the detritus) gets released at that moment.

That said, I love the idea posted here of just getting up and walking away from someone who is complaining. I could never imagine myself doing that, but if the chance comes up on this cruise, I absolutely will. And I'll smile about it for the rest of the trip.

Just to add a totally different perspective re: complainers...

We are both so excited that I would be shocked if we found a single thing to be unhappy about.

On the flip side -- I have an acquaintance who lives way beyond their means, takes cruises 2-3 times a year (always looking for the best "bargain"), is furious at having to spend $2 on a Coke, doesn't understand why people in more expensive cabins should get access to more things on the ship, blah blah blah.

For so many people, a cruise represents a major expenditure that they really can't afford, so they come aboard already stressed about the money and it can only go downhill from there. And if they aren't familiar with cruising, they will absolutely get sticker shock at what is not included in the fare. I think that is probably the root of a lot of complaining.

Thank you for hitting the nail on the head! I agree that a lot of complaining about things is based on that person's problems, mainly trying to live above their means. I am in the final year of debt elimination so I plan trips with cash in mind. When I go on a cruise I buy whatever I want. As a matter of fact I laugh that I do not blink at paying $2 for the coke on vacation but when at home if I can't a whole 12 pack for under $2 I scream! LOL

I do know people who look for the bargains, but they make it a game and have fun doing it! They chose not to buy the Coke, but have no judgement about the pricing or others that are buying it.

We do all have choices and it will surprize you how many folks go on a cruise and have a bad time. I would suggest that they stay at home, go to the local convenient store buy the 12 pack of Coke and rent a DVD of ocean/sea scenes. LOL

I have never had a "bad" cruise either and I do walk away from folks complaining about nothing.

Congratulations on your first cruise.

I hope this is the beginning of many years of cruising!

I have yet to figure out how one has a bad cruise, unless one was a passenger on the Titanic. :D

Roz

I agree - on my last cruise I fell, broke my ankle and a bone in my leg above my ankle. :( Went to dinner after having the dr put a huge cast on it. Told my table mates - sorry for not dressing up. My waiter and assistant could not do enough for me. The room steward moved the bed up next to the couch so I could just slide on to it to sit. :)

Have two more cruises booked. I told my boss about cruises again and his statement was - after breaking your ankle you would cruise again? I stated - well I was in 2 serious car accidents - I still drive - so why not.

Some people just like to complain to complain :confused:

I agree - on my last cruise I fell, broke my ankle and a bone in my leg above my ankle. :( Went to dinner after having the dr put a huge cast on it. Told my table mates - sorry for not dressing up. My waiter and assistant could not do enough for me. The room steward moved the bed up next to the couch so I could just slide on to it to sit. :)

Have two more cruises booked. I told my boss about cruises again and his statement was - after breaking your ankle you would cruise again? I stated - well I was in 2 serious car accidents - I still drive - so why not.

Some people just like to complain to complain :confused:

One phrase: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Am I on vacation? YES. Do I have to cook??? NO! Do I have to clean??? NO!! Do I have to do laundry??? NO!! Do I have to work??? NO!!!!!! Well, then, everything is perfect!!!! How else could anything be wrong???

Get the point???

This is exactly how I look at it!

I was unfortunate enough a few years ago to come down with norovirus on a Panama Canal Cruise. If that wasn't bad enough - I fell ill on New Years Eve Day...I missed the entire celebration that night and all of the next day confined to my cabin. Was it a bad cruise??? No.

The medical attention in the infirmary was prompt, effective and free. As a bonus the doctor was this tall, bearded Brit with this gorgeous accent - reminded me of Capt Ryker from "Star Trek; Next Generation". :D When I felt better, I was permitted to order anything off the menu I wanted, rather than having to stick to the room service menu. In addition my cabin steward brought a hat, horn & streamers to my cabin so I would feel part of the New Years Eve celebration.

Over the next 48 hours I was as pampered as I could be. The doctor called to check up on me *sigh*, the steward and room service waiters went out of their way to accommodate me bringing me books & games from the library and lots of fluids, and taking care of my dirty laundry for me. Thankfully we had one of those balcony cabins that others feel are a waste of money, so I was still able to sit out in the sun and as one of the days I was quarantined was our canal transit day, I didn't miss a thing as we proceeded through the locks.

I guess I could have complained and moaned, but looking back at how everyone went out of their way to make me feel as good as possible under the circumstances, I really didn't have any reason to complain. I was still receiving the best care and service, excellent food, sunny weather, and my laundry was done for me!!! It sure beats being sick at home!!! :)

I was mandated to my cabin for three days. The first day I did not want to leave. Celebrity could not do enough for me; free stuff, some significant, e.g., free dinner in the specialty restaurant for me and table mates, telephone home--had to talk to mom, free movies (this is a BIG revenue item for Celebrity) and I watched every stinkin' one of them-even the tacky 'adult' ones, free bar drinks to my cabin once I felt better, free internet, free in cabin dining (off the menu) plus the extremely solicitous treatment by the cabin steward and the concierge. I missed three days of my first transatlantic crossing and a port I wanted to see (Lisbon) but Celebrity MORE than made up for the misses.

My friend was moved to another cabin as I was considered contagious. She was actually upgraded to a better cabin, but she choose to bellyache about the whole thing. Myself, I choose to make lemonade out of what could have been considered lemons. Personally, I came out SO MUCH BETTER.

Carole aka Marne The Cruisin' Fool

I was mandated to my cabin for three days. The first day I did not want to leave. Celebrity could not do enough for me; free stuff, some significant, e.g., free dinner in the specialty restaurant for me and table mates, telephone home--had to talk to mom, free movies (this is a BIG revenue item for Celebrity) and I watched every stinkin' one of them-even the tacky 'adult' ones, free bar drinks to my cabin once I felt better, free internet, free in cabin dining (off the menu) plus the extremely solicitous treatment by the cabin steward and the concierge. I missed three days of my first transatlantic crossing and a port I wanted to see (Lisbon) but Celebrity MORE than made up for the misses.

I hope you had a balcony. As long as I could sit out and watch the world the go by I could put up with all that special treatment. I am impressed that they even gave you free bar drinks. Thanks for letting us know that being confined to your cabin is not the end of the world.

I hope you had a balcony. As long as I could sit out and watch the world the go by I could put up with all that special treatment. I am impressed that they even gave you free bar drinks. Thanks for letting us know that being confined to your cabin is not the end of the world.

It really wasn't the end of the world. :) They did their utmost to make me better (which, of course is in their best interest too) and to make me comfortable. One thing I will stress if you're ever in the same situation is that it's important to get treatment promptly - both for your own sake and the sake of everyone else on the ship! When you hear about the ships that have the mass epidemics of norovirus, it's usually because an infected person didn't seek help and ended up passing it on to others. Usually they do this either because they are afraid of being treated or because they don't want to rack up a medical bill. Well, guess what? If you have norovirus they have medications that make you better within 12 hours and the treatment is FREE! :o

I guess this all comes down to how you see the world. Is that glass half full, or half empty. To me it's always half full, so I have little to complain about! Those seeing it half empty, will always have something to complain about, and have negativity surrounding them.

HI cruisergal, I'm with you. My glass is always half full ... some people would complain in paradise as they say!! I avoid them like rhe plague!!

• 2 months later...

I've been on two cruises and they were both wonderful. (And will be on the Carnival Pride next March! Yay!) I love my job but my worst day on a cruise is better than my best day at work. I'm on the sea with fresh air, people are cleaning up after me, waiting on me and you know what's required of me on a cruise: a muster drill. After that, if I want to sleep all the time, lay around the pool, eat like a hog, play minigolf, gamble, drink..it's all up to me. When I'm relaxing poolside in the noon sun with a good book and a drink, I think about how blessed I am to be there. I think about how long I've waited to be there and how much I'm going to miss it when I go back to my life. So I appreciate it. I'm not Pollyanna. If I have a problem on the cruise, i'll rectify it. I'm not afraid to ask the staff to correct something. But I count my blessings.

I'm just guessing, but the person who commented about the balcony might have been trying to say that your expectations may be greater when you pay twice as much for the cruise than the person with the inside cabin. If everything is fine, if the weather is great and the seas cooperate then a balcony can be wonderful. I've taken 14 cruises and the one that was not worth it was the one with a balcony because the weather was hot, humid and foggy and I paid twice as much for a balcony that I could not use. Other than the fact that we did not use the balcony we had a wonderful cruise, but you have to get past the fact that the service is no better, the food is no better and the chairs scrape overhead even though you paid a premium for your cabin.

I worked as a waitress in an upscale restaurant in college. I can remember Tim, a career waiter, who advised me that a certain percentage of the population dined out in order to complain - that was the enjoyment they got out of it, and there was nothing you could do to please them. I saw it only a few times waiting tables, but I've seen it happen often on ships.

I think that many people have unreasonable expectations. Even in the most expensive, exclusive and fabulous restaurants, food may not be to someone's taste or a waiter has an off night. This is the same way on a cruise ship. My biggest complaint on past cruises, ironically enough, is with the time sucking complainers. My table once shared a waiter with a table full of never-happys. That was unfortunate with those of us who rolled with the punches, as we were often served last and not attended to very well. Still a great cruise, though.

And as for balconys - I never cruise without one. I'm not much for laying by the pool or participating in activities, but I love reading a book on my balcony and watching the ocean go by. It's worth every penny to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll agree with the majority of the posts which try to see things through the "glass half full" perspective. I've travelled with negative people, who seem to spend more time looking for/commenting on things they find wrong, and it can be very tiring.

On the other side, I do appreciate it when people write a CC ship's review, and point out things which were both good and areas which could do with improvement or were problems.

I especially look for trends and then make a decision as to wheter or not the issue is something I can deal with, or something which would make me unhappy and so tells me that I need to look elsewhere for my vacation.

Is there such thing? I'd rather be on a cruise then at home doing the same routine. The cruise I went on wasn't like the ritz but I didn't spend all that much on it compared to your average vacation anywhere where you will spend lots of money. Not to mention the value of most cruises are worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken only 10 cruises, so I am by no means an expert! With that in mind, here is how I read cruise comments both good & bad:

1) Bad: One bad review out of 12 doesn't mean a lot. Maybe a cruiser

with too high expectations who didn't do any research. On the other hand,

four bad out of twelve--there may be a problem. Look for common problems,etc. Go to different forums. Do your homework. Remember,

the ship or line may have already fixed the problem.

2) Good: Read as many as you can. Look for common themes about a

cruise or line. These can tell you about strongpoints that are important to

you.

3) Last: Don't be put off a ship or line without digging deeper. People

can view the exact same thing differently. No ship can be all things to all people. Hey, I'ts an adventure, remember?

Frank

Archived