Anyone lose weight taking workout classes?

AmberMarie

I work out at LA fitness and have been doing hour long classes 3 times a week and usually one or two extra days of just cardio. I have yet to incorporate more weight training, which I know I need to. One of my classes does incorporate weights so I do that once a week.

Has anyone lost weight taking classes? I've been doing this for over a month and a half and I feel so much better, my arms are more toned, but the lbs aren't going down. I realize I probably have gained a little muscle, lost a bit of fat, but my pants are not much looser, either. It's worth it to feel great and I think I am a bit tighter and better looking (less cellulite, etc), but not smaller yet. Love my results but just curious of other people's results if they are doing something similar.

To give an idea of my schedule:

Monday 35 to 45 minutes of cardio. Usually elliptical, sometimes I do a circuit of stairmaster, elliptical, treadmill, and bike.

Tues Kickboxing plus abs class

Wed Body works (weight training/cardio/abs)

Thurs -- Step class or something like I do Monday.

Fri -- Monday routine

I've heard most people who start at a gym after the new year give up just when the results start to show -- about six weeks.

My body/brain is really good at soaking up just as many calories as my workouts take. Generally, I need to combine my workouts with at least small changes in my eating, and keep it up for a long time (Like forever!) in order to lose weight.

The only time that exercise alone has worked for me is when I've been training for a marathon. 40 miles of running a week and you can eat whatever you want. But that seems a bit strenuous, doesn't it?

Does your club offer a complimentary review of your workout, or at a reasonable price? I'm in the third week of a ten week program at my gym that includes discussions on physiology, diet and exercise along with weekly training sessions. This has been very helpful in understanding why my "old" training regimen of several hours a week (pilates, elliptical cardio, occasional aerobics classes) wasn't having the outcomes I want and expect. (Check back in seven weeks and see how it turns out.) Still, I'm adding a review of my eating habits and trying to trim the worst of them, including changes in the recipes of meals I cook, in hopes of losing a few pounds while adding muscle, stamina and speed.

Has anyone lost weight taking classes? I've been doing this for over a month and a half and I feel so much better, my arms are more toned, but the lbs aren't going down. I realize I probably have gained a little muscle, lost a bit of fat, but my pants are not much looser, either. It's worth it to feel great and I think I am a bit tighter and better looking (less cellulite, etc), but not smaller yet.

Yes it IS worth it even if you are not noticing any weight loss. The improvement to your health is immeasurable. That said, if weight (fat) loss is your main goal, NOTHING will impact that more than what you put into your mouth. Have you changed your dietary intake in this regard?

I do spinning, kickboxing, and latin dance classes. I lost 22 pounds in 3 1/2 months by doing this, and I also followed the flex program from Weight Watchers. Happysinglemom is right - the most important thing is what you eat. Both the exercise and diet change are necessary for weight loss. I have a similar body type to you, and I do an hour to an hour and a half of cardio 6 days a week with weight training 4 days a week. The results WILL come.

Yes it IS worth it even if you are not noticing any weight loss. The improvement to your health is immeasurable. That said, if weight (fat) loss is your main goal, NOTHING will impact that more than what you put into your mouth. Have you changed your dietary intake in this regard?

I totally concur. When I first set out to lose weight a year and a half ago, it was January and I pretty much went from home to the office and back. If I were a bear, I'd be hibernating for sure - hate the cold. Even without moving at all, I managed to lose 40 lbs. by summer. At that time, I joined a gym and was spending about 45 minutes three times a week and have continued to do so. While I did lose another 30 lbs., it was more due to watching my food intake. The exercise definitely toned up the sagging skin, however, and I felt a lot better for it and probably did make it come off faster.

Your routine sounds very similar to what I've been doing. I work-out at 24 hour fitness. It took between 6-8 weeks before I started seeing any results.I have been w:p atching what I eat, and I have lost 10 pounds in 10 weeks. I still have a way to go, but I feel so much better after taking a class. It has been odd, like you said that I am definetly more fit, but the lbs. aren't coming off like they did when I was young. !

Your routine sounds very similar to what I've been doing. I work-out at 24 hour fitness. It took between 6-8 weeks before I started seeing any results.I have been w:p atching what I eat, and I have lost 10 pounds in 10 weeks. I still have a way to go, but I feel so much better after taking a class. It has been odd, like you said that I am definetly more fit, but the lbs. aren't coming off like they did when I was young. !

I've started doing cardio workouts 3-4 days a week with 2-3 days of sculpting. It's been about a month and this week is the only time I have had a substantial weight loss ( I'm also on Weight Watchers ) but it's been on average only .5 lb per week. 20 years ago I did much less and could lose up to a pound a day! I lost 50lb in 6 months then. I would love to lose a pound a week but I'm happy to lose anything! Another reason to love growing older:p . I guess I need to increase my workouts too.

Archived