rome to venice

my son and his fiance want to honeymoon on the Splendor of the Seas in the Greek Isles. They would like to fly into Rome and spend 3 nights before going on to Venice. What is the best way to get from Rome to Venice? Thank You

The Train is the best way.

Frequent service. About 4 1/2 hour ride. The Venice station is quite close to the port area.

Both Air One and Alitalia fly the roue between the main airports of both cities, but by the time you get to the airport, check-in, go through security, get on plane, fly, get off plane, wait for baggage, and go to port the 1 hour flight takes more total time than the 4 1/2 train trip. Plus, excess luggage on the flight would cost quite a bit (and internal flights have a low luggage allowance).

Paul

Their best option would be to take the train. The schedules and pricing are available on the Trenitalia web site. There are excellent high speed trains on that route (they would have the ES designation) and the trip takes about 4 1/2 hours. The standard 1st class fare is 80.80 Euros and 2nd class 56.10 Euros (they might qualify for one of the discount fares). The ES trains do require reservations and tickets can be purchased in advance on-line.

Hank

Hank makes a good point about reservations (ticket for a specific train and seat reservations).

You can also obtain these easily in Rome -- either by waiting in line for forever and a day at the train station or without lines at just about any travel agency (the stylized FS logo of the train company will be displayed). It would be less expensive this way, but as they will be traveling during the peak season, they might not get on the train they want. I do my best to avoid Italy during the high season .. never had a problem getting reservations a day or two before travel Oct -> April which is when I have been there.

Paul

i wouldn't suggest the train instead, since they are always terribly in delay and they are expensive and dirty and not always "safe" if u know what i mean. i definetly prefere the airplane, 45 minutes and u arrive to venice from rome, than u can take whatertaxi or ferryboat to go to the laguna. if u book in advance u can find interesting fares

my son and his fiance want to honeymoon on the Splendor of the Seas in the Greek Isles. They would like to fly into Rome and spend 3 nights before going on to Venice. What is the best way to get from Rome to Venice? Thank You

train:)

i wouldn't suggest the train instead, since they are always terribly in delay and they are expensive and dirty and not always "safe" if u know what i mean. i definetly prefere the airplane, 45 minutes and u arrive to venice from rome, than u can take whatertaxi or ferryboat to go to the laguna. if u book in advance u can find interesting fares

WOW! An interesting point of view especially when you consider that the poster is in Italy. However, we have never seen dirty conditions on the high speed ES and IC trains (the local trains do leave a lot to be desired). As to flying between Rome and Venice, assuming that you start from the city of Rome you would have to first get to the airport (30 minutes and 9.5 Euros on the Leonardo Express), arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight (there can be very long security lines at FCO), hope that your flight is on-time (late flights are common at FCO), and finally get from Venice's airport into the city (very expensive unless you take the bus). In the end, the train would actually be faster and more comfortable. In a related issue, we just flew out of FCO this past Sunday and our flight was delayed by more than an hour due to air traffic control delays.

Hank

We took the high speed train and enjoyed our trip. There is some lovely scenery on the trip and you arrive in Venice at a convenient location. Travel from the Venice airport is time consuming and costly. We booked a midday travel time and got a very good price on the Trenitalia website before leaving the states. Watch your luggage, watch you back(some very clever pickpocket types in the station), and VALIDATE your ticket before boarding the train. Rome Termini is a huge station and there are often track changes at the last minute. Make sure you verify the train and destination with the conductor before boarding.

TRAIN !!!!!!....meet new people,arrives at an accessible location,relaxing,4 1/2 hours go by quickly,a little nap...you arrived refreshed !!We arrived early at the Termini and bought ticket there.Someone advised asking for the "Amica fare"...hope it works for both of us !!!

Oh, I also take a coiled bike lock to secure my luggage ( luggage racks at front/back of the car), as I couldn't see it from my seat...so could sit back and relax !!

Enjoy !!

Sharon

WOW! An interesting point of view especially when you consider that the poster is in Italy. However, we have never seen dirty conditions on the high speed ES and IC trains (the local trains do leave a lot to be desired). As to flying between Rome and Venice, assuming that you start from the city of Rome you would have to first get to the airport (30 minutes and 9.5 Euros on the Leonardo Express), arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight (there can be very long security lines at FCO), hope that your flight is on-time (late flights are common at FCO), and finally get from Venice's airport into the city (very expensive unless you take the bus). In the end, the train would actually be faster and more comfortable. In a related issue, we just flew out of FCO this past Sunday and our flight was delayed by more than an hour due to air traffic control delays.

Hank

I have to agree with what you have said. ES and the newer IC and IC+ trains are nice. Especially first class. Even 2cl on the ES is nice (not as much wiggle room.) Trains are clean. Restaurant car available. Real air conditioning. Very quite and smooth. Regional trains? Well I guess it depend on where you are going and the time of day. Can be very interesting at times.

Matter of opinion as you can tell...but I would agree with Hank. We have traveled for several months in Italy by train. The high speeds have always been a good experience- met some interesting people, clean and comfortable. My only complaint would be the food- so eat or pick something up beforehand. But on the airplane, there would be no food (or is that just here:) ). Definitely agree that local trains are a different breed- think summer, no a/c, smoking in a nonsmoking standing room only car- recipe for anxiety attack for a claustrophobic- trust me- get the reservation on the high speed train. Have a wonderful trip and congratulations on your son's upcoming nuptials. A honeymoon in Italy is quite the way to celebrate their new life!

2 questions

In Venice, how do you get from the train station to the cruise ship with luggage? I saw someone suggest in another thread that it makes sense to get off at the stop immediately before Venice and then take a short 10 minute taxi ride to the cruise terminal.

If I go first class on the high speed train is there room for luggage by the seats or do I put it at the front/back of the car?

Thanks

Hank

well u too u're right: finally a train in delay is always better than an airplane in delay since u have to be at the airport AT LEAST 2 hours in advance. and of course by train u leave from the middle of the URBE ( rome hehehe) and u arrive directly to the laguna. anyway i suggest EUROSTAR instead of INTERCITY they are cleaner, but rememeber to book the place since seats on eurostar are available ONLY by booking ( anyway u can book a seat on an eurostar even at the ticket office also if u have to leave immediately, if the train is not full they give u a seat with no problems) consider that eurostar costs much more than intercity but it's really less crowded

In April '08, we went by train, 1st class, reserved, from Rome To Venice, then to Genoa, then Nice. Plan ahead on the Trenitalia site for timings. We bought our food and drinks before we boarded the train. For the two of us, we had one large suitcase, one small one & one carry-on each. There's not a lot of room for luggage in the car, but with 1st class, it should work. It did for us.

For Rome>Venice, our seats were at the end of the car, by the engine. I & others had to put some of our luggage in the aisle...there wasn't enough room behind the seats, or any space left on the rack above the seats.

Try to get to the train reasonably early & board as soon as you can...this would help to find luggage space.

There was only one minor delay and it didn't affect our trip. We did not experience any safety issues.

Otherwise, comfortable, clean enough and enjoyable.

Archived