Question about Christmas decorations

HighFlyer

We've been on several cruises the first week of December, but none on a HAL ship. The ships have always been decorated for Christmas. When we sailed on a Princess ship the week of Thanksgiving, the trees and decorations were being delivered as we disembarked.

Don't know the specifics but IMHO Christmas decorations should not go up before at least December 15 -

I love Christmas with all the decorations and Carols but when they start up just after Thanksgiving (for us October 11th this year) it becomes a bit too much. If I worked in a department store, I really think I would be out of my mind long before Christmas Eve.

check out the article about christmas decorations and celebrations on the home page of this site..top/center. read the article tonight and it's very good and quite comprehensive.

We were on the Disney wonder last year .. early december..and they were fully decked out for the holidays, with holiday entertainment during the evening, and at their private island castaway cay.. this was geared towards santa, rudolph, etc. with a disney twist..mostly jingle bells, twas the night before chistmas etc. I do recall seeing the menorah at guest services, with the appropriate number of candles (bulbs) lit in the eveing. The pastry chefs on board were also constructing a full size ginger bread house. we were on board for 4 nights and they had put on all the gingerbread shingles and they were starting with the frosting around the windows etc. they said it would take them another week to complete. quite a site.

Peggy Sue

Don't know the specifics but IMHO Christmas decorations should not go up before at least December 15 -

I love Christmas with all the decorations and Carols but when they start up just after Thanksgiving (for us October 11th this year) it becomes a bit too much. If I worked in a department store, I really think I would be out of my mind long before Christmas Eve.

Totally agree with you, in fact I was in one of the card stores here in Southern Ontario the other day and they were putting out the Christmas cards and decorations for sale. :eek:

I can easily get too much of a good thing -- to this day I cannot listen to "Felice Navidad" due to a Christmas cruise Christmas song overload from about 15 years ago. It is best to save these things until the last few days so that they can be savored and enjoyed as they should. Christmas should not become an annoyance.

We sailed the Veendam a couple of years ago from Dec.5-12, and there were no decorations up, but as we were disembarking, I saw a couple of Christmas trees being carried on. I was hoping the ship would be decorated since Christmas was less than three weeks away, but no dice.

I sail twice over Dec 25. I was bemused because I saw few Christmas decorations. There was a tree, some poinsettias, and lights in a few places, but very low key. I wondered if this might be because many people were, as I was, running away from traditional Christmases (with large family gathering) because that had become too painful. Lots of people find the Christmas season the most difficult.

I was on NCL Norway and a RCCL ship (can't remember name), so perhaps it was the cruise lines that I had chosen. Don't remember much carol singing in the main entertainment either.

I was with my daughter. We brought our own cabin decorations to help us get in the mood. I packed a Styrofoam craft tree (small and 1 inch thick) which I propped up on the desk. We had wrapped very small, jokey, inexpensive gifts: and one small but very nice gift; lingerie, candy, gift certificate, books.

I wonder if most lines downplay this seasonal holiday?

We were on the Marco Polo over Christmas last year. The ship was decorated nicely in all the public areas with several lovely trees and floral arrangements. The entertainment director formed a passenger choir, we practiced several times, and performed on the stage Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day there was a religious service in the auditorium and then a wonderful brunch buffet in the dining room. We decorated our cabin with a few cut-outs (I always take scotch tape and scissors). The whole atmosphere was festive but not overdone and helped us not be so homesick for family.

Archived