Coffee and Room Service

njen

The wonderful part of cruising the world- is we are all different, with different tastes and expectations- and that is great. we like the "syrup" coffee. It never gets that burnt taste or the bite that Starbucks regular coffee gets when you are served the end of the pot- the real cream is wonderful for a change of pace- and... you can have it delivered to your room at the time you wish-early or late morning- and.. best part- you do not do the clean up. So, relax- open your mind- if it your first cruise... you might find you like that "syrup stuff"- especially, delivered to your cabin- but don't tell anyone. :) rlb

I didn't mind the coffee on board when i was on my last cruise, which was the Sun Princess in Dec '06! I might be one of the few! I didn't know you could get a coffee card for brewed coffees over the other coffee though...so you just show them the card, and they automatically make the brewed coffee for you instead? Or is it something that you have to request? I never really heard about it before, I just had the Coca-cola card!

I usually split a coffee card with my cabin mate for a latte or cappuccino every morning. The room service coffee isn't bad and I rarely drink coffee at dinner (wine is my tipple). A french press coffee cup like the ones in the previous post can also be purchased at starbucks and other stores. You can get hot water from room service or at the horizon court, but you should bring your own ground coffee. A suggestion, Ille cafe has great ground (espresso or dark roast) with a screw on cap that would be very convenient to take on the ship.

so you just show them the card, and they automatically make the brewed coffee for you instead? Or is it something that you have to request?

There are select locations on the ship that make brewed coffee - if you want brewed, you have to go to the 'select' location ... they won't just brew you a pot where ever because you've flashed your coffee card!!!! :)

We use one like this, easy to clean up, no warming plate and makes one cup of freshly brewed coffee with automatic shut off.

11EBXEW7YRL._SL500_AA150_.jpg

No waiting for room service to deliver, and it makes perfect coffee or tea.

Doesn't Princess frown on you using anything electrical other than a shaver in your cabin?

How do you heat the water? If room service brought it, it wouldn't be hot enough by the time it got there. I have a travel French press maker, but I'd still have to bring an immersion heater and ceramic cup to heat the water in. I so do miss my good, strong coffee in the cabin, though. That syrup swill has the most awful sour taste, plus is too weak for our tastes.

Love DeRon's machine LOL. Guess one wouldn't have room for any clothes.

Doesn't Princess frown on you using anything electrical other than a shaver in your cabin?

Nope, never had a problem one with is.

FYI-On the Sea Princess when it returned from P&O back to Princess we had coffee and tea making facilities, including a hot pot supplied, in our mini suite. It was wonderful. The room steward refreshed the cups, coffee, sugar and creamer each morning and evening. They removed them shortly afterward and it was not there on our second cruise a year later. But P&O supplies them for each stateroom, and I think NCL also does.

What Princess will not allow is those little immersion things that heat a cup of water, as most do not have an automatic shut off and they are a fire hazzard.

But these little ones that I posted the picture to are safe, reliable and have no warming plate at all. Perfect for travel.

It is nice to see what everybody brings. I only drink coffee in the a.m. It keeps me up at night. I love the idea of the french press but I only try to drink bottled water on board. Ship water gives me problems. The Voyager wasn't so bad for me, I actually drank the coffee and water. The fresh brewed coffee was Seattles Best. I could tolerate it. They made the cappuchino with the same brand. Why pay the high price for the same thing. Cappuchino on the Millie was delicious.

DeRon- what ship and cabin are you sailing on? I want to book cabin next to yours so I can borrow a cup of coffee in the a.m.! I'd even pay you. :<)

Archived