Ipod connections

keesu89

Does anyone know if there is Ipod connectivity in your cabin on the Oosterdam? We are new to HAL, travelling next June, and are wondering if we will be able to use our Ipods to provide music in our room or on the verandah.

Thanks for any input.

Keesu 89

Does anyone know if there is Ipod connectivity in your cabin on the Oosterdam? We are new to HAL, travelling next June, and are wondering if we will be able to use our Ipods to provide music in our room or on the verandah.

No, there is not an iPod port that allows you to play your iPod over the built-in speakers in your cabin. I usually bring my JBL On Stage II to charge my iPod and to play music in my cabin while aboard ship. I suggest bringing something like that.

Also, make sure you bring a power strip to provide extra power outlets for your cabin. The dressing table will have only one US power outlet (110-120 volts at 60 Hz), and you may need more outlets than that. There will also be a European (220-240 volts at 50 Hz) power outlet, but you'll need an adaptor and converter for that and either electronics that can handle multiple current levels, or which are attuned to it.

No, there is not an iPod port that allows you to play your iPod over the built-in speakers in your cabin. I usually bring my JBL On Stage II to charge my iPod and to play music in my cabin while aboard ship. I suggest bringing something like that.

Also, make sure you bring a power strip to provide extra power outlets for your cabin. The dressing table will have only one US power outlet (110-120 volts at 60 Hz), and you may need more outlets than that. There will also be a European (220-240 volts at 50 Hz) power outlet, but you'll need an adaptor and converter for that and either electronics that can handle multiple current levels, or which are attuned to it.

Greg, quick question do you know if the IPod Touch will work with the JBL On Stage II? Then the other stupid question I have is I have a protective plastic case over the IPod Touch would I have to take it out of the case to play it in one of these speakers sytems.

are wondering if we will be able to use our Ipods to provide music in our room or on the verandah.

Thanks for any input.

Keesu 89

If you play your Ipod through a speaker set on the verandah, please be mindful that those around you may not appreciate your choice in music, or any music other than that of the sea. I made this mistake once, but mind you, it took only one loud SSSHHHH! for me the quickly get the (valid) message! The speaker units mentioned by revneal are just the ticket for charging and music.

Greg, quick question do you know if the IPod Touch will work with the JBL On Stage II? Then the other stupid question I have is I have a protective plastic case over the IPod Touch would I have to take it out of the case to play it in one of these speakers sytems.

According to Apple's Website (Click Here) the iPod Touch will dock with, charge from, and play sound through the JBL On Stage II. That surprises me, because my iPhone will charge through the On Stage, it won't play audio out through it. That's unfortunate ... it would make a great speaker phone.

Regarding the case ... is it a skin tight case? If it is, it may well dock with it without any trouble. They have 'em at the Apple Store as well as at most Electronics Box stores ... you might try docking your iPod touch with the display model and see if it will work with the case still on.

I have to take my leather holster off my iPod in order to dock it with the OnStage.

If you play your Ipod through a speaker set on the verandah, please be mindful that those around you may not appreciate your choice in music, or any music other than that of the sea. I made this mistake once, but mind you, it took only one loud SSSHHHH! for me the quickly get the (valid) message! The speaker units mentioned by revneal are just the ticket for charging and music.

When I'm on a verandah and want to listen to music or to an audiobook I'll only use my headphones. Courtesy for others demands nothing less. When inside my cabin, I always play music soft enough so that (1) I an hear it, and (2) my neighbors can't. I've never had a complaint, so I suppose I've gotten the volume level set right.

According to Apple's Website (Click Here) the iPod Touch will dock with, charge from, and play sound through the JBL On Stage II. That surprises me, because my iPhone will charge through the On Stage, it won't play audio out through it. That's unfortunate ... it would make a great speaker phone.

Regarding the case ... is it a skin tight case? If it is, it may well dock with it without any trouble. They have 'em at the Apple Store as well as at most Electronics Box stores ... you might try docking your iPod touch with the display model and see if it will work with the case still on.

I have to take my leather holster off my iPod in order to dock it with the OnStage.

Greg, it is skin tight and I bought it at the Apple Store at the Fashion Show. But it was a real pain to get it on and am afraid if I take it out of this case I will never get it back in:o It is one of colored transparent ones.

I am thinking of trying to see how well the Internet works from the IPod Touch on our next cruise. Not that I plan to use it for Interent just curious as to how well it will work. But I will need to have a charger which I have not purchased yet.

When I'm on a verandah and want to listen to music or to an audiobook I'll only use my headphones. Courtesy for others demands nothing less. When inside my cabin, I always play music soft enough so that (1) I an hear it, and (2) my neighbors can't. I've never had a complaint, so I suppose I've gotten the volume level set right.

100% agreed. I read the "provide music on the verandah" to mean "out loud" (since obviously you can use your headphones everywhere) and thought it might be useful to suggest outdoor silence (which you put much more eloquently:)).

Greg, it is skin tight and I bought it at the Apple Store at the Fashion Show. But it was a real pain to get it on and am afraid if I take it out of this case I will never get it back in:o It is one of colored transparent ones.

I am thinking of trying to see how well the Internet works from the IPod Touch on our next cruise. Not that I plan to use it for Interent just curious as to how well it will work. But I will need to have a charger which I have not purchased yet.

If you can attach the cable with which you plug it into your computer with the case cover on, you stand a good chance of being able to dock it as well. But try before you buy...

We had thought of the music on the verandah issue, and of course will have headphones (need them for the very long flight). I must say I tend to agree that when I am sitting out there I like the sound of the ocean.In fact even I don't appreciate some of the music on my Ipod as my DH put some of it on, and occasionally I get a surprise when listening, as our taste is not always the same! The prime purpose was to have music of our choice in the cabin while preparing for dinner.

As for the device for charging I have an AltecLansing unit which should fit the bill, was just wondering if I would need to pack it. DH of course thinks we should be bringing this!

The other function for the Ipod was to take self guided tours at some ports. There are some available on the web, and I am wondering if anyone knows if there are any available from HAL yet. I suspect this is the way of the future for some travellers. We thought this could be an convenient portable source of information in some ports.

Keesu89

If you can attach the cable with which you plug it into your computer with the case cover on, you stand a good chance of being able to dock it as well. But try before you buy...

Yes, I can but good advise. It looks like I need to make a trip to Circuit City :D

The other function for the Ipod was to take self guided tours at some ports. There are some available on the web, and I am wondering if anyone knows if there are any available from HAL yet. I suspect this is the way of the future for some travellers. We thought this could be an convenient portable source of information in some ports.

Keesu89,

Could you provide any links to these tours? This is the first I have heard of them and they sound promising.

Thanks,

Eremita

Hi Emerita:

My hubby found them as podcasts listed under travel on the Itunes site I believe. I will check with him later today and if I can give you anything further I will pass it on.

Keesu89

iphone works with my Bose Sound dock. I would suspect that the iTouch would also work with the Bose sound dock. My dock is the last generation without battery but the new one has both battery and power cord.

You can download these tours from the Holland America web site but it is kind of difficult to find.

1. Go to the HAL web site

2. Under "Visit Video Gallery", click on "Play Video"

3. Hi Lite " Elegant Ship"

4. Select the ship you want

5. Select "Podcast" in the second column

6. Click on "Download" and indicate where you wish to save the file on your computer.

While downloading, there is a very small progress indicator displayed at the top but I had to look for it.

The files are in .m4b format and you will have to import them into iTunes.

Lee

Correct. The skin-tight covers are generally non-obstructive to docking stations like the On Stage.

We downloaded the art tour for the Oosterdam off the HAL website and really enjoyed it. We're doing the same for the Veendam in a month. I believe it took us about an hour and a half to take the art tour since you frequently have to pause it to get to the next piece of art or to take time to enjoy what has been presented on the podcast.

Guest 1WorldTrader

Question/thought: we have a DVD player in our suite. I suppose I could burn a mix CD or two and play it via the DVD/TV.... Has anybody here done that?

Archived