Junior Suite vs Deluxe Oceanview Tipping

Apologies if this has already been dragged through the street before, but I'm considering booking a Junior Suite.

Do the guidelines on tipping for Suites compared to regular staterooms, $5.75 vs. $3.50, apply to Junior Suites as well?

What Junior Suite perks are all that great over the Deluxe Ocean View stateroom? Are there other amenities and services that the attendant will be providing that rate the higher tip - other than running the vacuum over a few extra square feet of floor space?

THANKS!

Apologies if this has already been dragged through the street before, but I'm considering booking a Junior Suite.

Do the guidelines on tipping for Suites compared to regular staterooms, $5.75 vs. $3.50, apply to Junior Suites as well?

What Junior Suite perks are all that great over the Deluxe Ocean View stateroom? Are there other amenities and services that the attendant will be providing that rate the higher tip - other than running the vacuum over a few extra square feet of floor space?

THANKS!

YES, they apply!

BILL

No, they do not apply. You pay the $3.50 a day. The only perks is you get to be one of the first on board and get two credits. You do not get to go to the CL. I had a JS on Voyager of the Seas in Jan 08. The room is larger and you have a bathtub.

THANKS!

Yes the JS counts like any other suite. You get 2 cruise credits instead of one and it is a slightly larger room and balconythan a D1. The bathroom is larger and has a large tub, which is nice for showering, and there is a walk in closet with lots of room. One would tend to think threre is a little more for them to do, then just running a vacuum a few extra feet. why should the tip really have anything to do with it ?

I'm curious to hear the answer to this as well as we have a JS booked on SOS this year. I know I've read on here before that JS gratuity is NOT the same as the other suites. But I'd like to hear more opinions! Thanks!

Yes the JS counts like any other suite. You get 2 cruise credits instead of one and it is a slightly larger room and balconythan a D1. The bathroom is larger and has a large tub, which is nice for showering, and there is a walk in closet with lots of room. One would tend to think threre is a little more for them to do, then just running a vacuum a few extra feet. why should the tip really have anything to do with it ?

I understand the extra physical plant items like more space and a tub, but I'm renting those from the cruise line, not the attendant. I'm having a hard time understanding what the attendant will be providing that deserves the extra tip amount.:confused:

We're cruising in a JS for the first time in November and when I made the change, the first thing I asked was about the tips because I had already prepaid everything. I was told by my TA that the JS does not pay the higher amount. You will get priority boarding, an extra cruise credit, and (I think) availability of the departure lounge.

The additional space is a plus and, depending on the ages of your children, the tub may be a blessing. I can't imagine showering a two or three year old in the standard showers!

No, they do not apply. You pay the $3.50 a day. The only perks is you get to be one of the first on board and get two credits. You do not get to go to the CL. I had a JS on Voyager of the Seas in Jan 08. The room is larger and you have a bathtub.

This from the Royal Caribbean website....

So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant:$5.75 USDa day per guest

Stateroom attendant:$3.50 USDa day per guest

Dining Room Waiter:$3.50 USDa day per guest

Assistant Waiter:$2.00 USDa day per guest

Headwaiter:$.75 USDa day per guestNote:

These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise.

Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifPre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifAdded to your onboard SeaPass account.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifPaid in cash at the end of the cruise

Of course we can argue this point forever...

Tipping is a subject that is left to each person. Some people like to over tip, some under tip, some do not tip...Do whatever you want, you have to live with your decisoin....Oh, and so does the Cabin Attendant!:eek:

BILL

It's only $16 pp for a 7 night cruise we're talking about here. We have always paid the suite rate when in the JS, most recently in March, but that was not because we were told to, rather, I just thought since it said suite in the room category that the suite rate applied.

Concur that when opting for auto-tip that RC only charges $3.50 PP when booked in a JS...so the official tip is $3.50. We usually add more for good service, but do not feel pressured to tip the suite amount. Really, in all honesty, the JS's are probably easier to clean/sweep because there is more open floor space. I would think that the only added work would be to clean a tub instead of the shower.

JMO, Deb

These gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant:$5.75 USDa day per guest

Stateroom attendant:$3.50 USDa day per guest

Bill, that's all great and good but in RCCL's eyes for tipping purposes (heck for a lot of other purposes too) the junior suite is NOT treated as a suite. They only charge the stateroom attendant rate if you prepay the tips or add them to your seapass.

One more voice to add that although this is called a "suite," it is not treated as such. There are no perks other than getting an extra cruise credit and using the suite guest check in line. Passengers do not get access to the concierge lounge as passengers in higher category suites do.

The suggested tip for a junior suite cabin steward is $3.50/person/day. If you charge your tips to your SeaPass account, this is what you will see on your account.

Bill, that's all great and good but in RCCL's eyes for tipping purposes (heck for a lot of other purposes too) the junior suite is NOT treated as a suite. They only charge the stateroom attendant rate if you prepay the tips or add them to your seapass.

Wrona is correct..........except for a bit of extra room and 2 points towards one's C&A points.......the JS is considered a cabin, and not a suite for tipping purposes.

Rick

One more voice to add that although this is called a "suite," it is not treated as such. There are no perks other than getting an extra cruise credit and using the suite guest check in line. Passengers do not get access to the concierge lounge as passengers in higher category suites do.

The suggested tip for a junior suite cabin steward is $3.50/person/day. If you charge your tips to your SeaPass account, this is what you will see on your account.

Wrona is correct..........except for a bit of extra room and 2 points towards one's C&A points.......the JS is considered a cabin, and not a suite for tipping purposes.

Rick

I stand corrected. A JR. suite is not a suite, but it always felt sweet when I was in it...:)

BILL

I stand corrected. A JR. suite is not a suite, but it always felt sweet when I was in it...:)

BILL

Bill - Hopefully I'll feel the same way. :) I saw another post - cut and pasted below - that had a list of Suite perks, and if all those were available in the JS as well, then the extra tip amount would be worth it. In the meantime, I guess Junior Suite will mean Junior Tips as well.;)

QUOTE:

We just returned from a b2b on Splendour and were in a GS cabin. Before we left, I emailed C&A and asked about the amenities and this is the response that I got. I have highlighted in red what we actually did receive.

I have no idea why they listed "personalized attention from Chief Housekeeper or Guest Services Manager". I guess they were there if we needed them.

I was in contact with the Concierge before we sailed, but I contacted her first.

We did not need expedited luggage tags because we were doing a post cruise hotel.

Upon Arrival: Complimentary water/fruit plate

Complimentary slippers

In-suite coffee/tea service (this is a french press coffee maker)

Pillow menu

Priority salon appointments, if needed

Priority tender tickets, if applicable

Suite Attendant services

Personalized invitations to the Art Auctions,

Priority shore excursions, if needed

First Formal Night: Cheese plate with crackers prior to dinner

Personalized attention from Chief Housekeeper

Personalized attention from Guest Services Manager

Second Formal Night/: Plate of petit fours at turndown

Last Evening Expedited departure with Early Debark tags

Personalized attention from Hotel Director

Use off the Concierge Lounge

BILL

Oh absolutely!! RCCL could do away with a lot of the confusion if they would remove the suite from the name of the category. Maybe something like Premium Balcony Stateroom or something like that (to differentiate from the Superior and Deluxe balcony categories they already have).

Well, I figure I can order a fruit and cheese tray from room service for free if I want one. Don't use the salon, and anyone can get early departure tags if they really need to disembark early, and after standing in line forever to get ice show tickets on our first cruise, I learned that you can go later and get whatever tickets you want. Really, IMO, the biggest suite perk is the concierge lounge.

Anyway, in response to the OP, we always get a JS and autotipping comes up at the regular stateroom rate. Besides the extra space and cruise credit, I love the walk-in closet and having a lounge chair on the balcony.

The JS category is a relatively new concept for RCI - when we first sailed on Vision in 2002 we were in a Category C Deluxe Oceanview cabin, 8088 (booked a guarantee and that's what we scored!). We also only got one C&A credit. I think the JS came to be when the 2 credits for a suite started, in 2004.

We usually sail in a JS, and when we have put the tips on account it has always been $3.50/day. If our attendant has provided superior service (and they usually do), we will tip more.

I just recieved a response last week from RCCL customer service asking the perk question, specifically if you are allowed to board as a priority due to the "suite". This is the response I received:

"Please be advised the Suite amenities are for guests who are booked in

Grand suites, Owners Suites and the Royal Suite. We are sincerely sorry

for any inconvenience this may cause you."

So, this may brand me as cheap, but if the only perk I get is 2 cruise points and some extra space, it seems prudent that the only person getting an additional tip is the one doing work in the cabin. Just my opinion!

Archived