Adaptor for Plugging in Hair Dryer on Spirit

DD

I'm reading that there is only one 110-volt plug and that it is not meant for hair dryers. I'm also reading that you can take a dual-voltage appliance and plug it into the 220 plug with an adaptor. What does the adaptor look like that I need? Is it a 2 round prong thing like you use in most of Europe (3 round plugs if it's grounded), or, is it a one with the 3 kind-of rectangle flat angled plugs?

correct, but the regular plug ( for the U.S) can not handle the newer, more powerful hair dryers...it can blow power to your cabin and thr surrounding ones. that's where the problems comes in...

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant was it looks like it takes both the 2 (or 3) round prong European plug and the odd-shaped 3 prong plug in addition to the not-so-useful under-500-watt US plug.

Nothing like this on the Jewel, they're the standard outlets. If I recall, there is one in the ceiling of the bathroom (we were in an AE) that was for shavers only.

Too add, the USA 110 Volt power receptacle on the rest of NCL's ships do NOT have the 500 Watt limitation that's found on the Spirit USA receptacle.

When the Jewel was built for NCL, NCL knew it could and would sail from America, so the wires were installed for American appliances.

The Spirit was built for Star Cruises, which NEVER intended to sail the Spirit from America, so the wires were installed for Asian appliances.

Since Asia uses 220 Volts, smaller sized wires were installed when the Spirit was built because that was the sized wires required to power Asian hair dryers. It's cheaper to build a ship if you do not over build it.

Basic electricity background.

Twice the voltage means the appliance uses half the current, and

Circuit breakers are rated in Amps (current), not in Watts.

Electricron -- further question on the outlets...Toyz was great in supplying a good photo, but I'm not 100% positive what I need to take. Next to the standard US plug, there are 2 different plugs. One is easy to identify, the other is difficult just due to the angle -- I can't tell if it needs a grounded plug and needs 3 prongs, if it's the little tiny round prongs or the fatter round prongs. On one thread someone called it an Asian plug, but that doesn't really narrow it down as plugs vary throughout Asia depending on what country, and what part of the country, you are visiting. From what I can tell, the plug on the far left is a standard 2 prong plug, comparable to what you might use in Italy or France. Do both non-US plugs work equally well for a higher wattage appliance? Do I need polarized adaptors with the one side a little larger than the other. The one that I can't identify 100% looks like it's recessed pretty far, meaning that I'd have to stack 2 together. I have at least 30 adaptors -- I'd rather not bring the whole slew of them along.

Electricron -- further question on the outlets...Toyz was great in supplying a good photo, but I'm not 100% positive what I need to take. Next to the standard US plug, there are 2 different plugs. One is easy to identify, the other is difficult just due to the angle -- I can't tell if it needs a grounded plug and needs 3 prongs, if it's the little tiny round prongs or the fatter round prongs. On one thread someone called it an Asian plug, but that doesn't really narrow it down as plugs vary throughout Asia depending on what country, and what part of the country, you are visiting. From what I can tell, the plug on the far left is a standard 2 prong plug, comparable to what you might use in Italy or France. Do both non-US plugs work equally well for a higher wattage appliance? Do I need polarized adaptors with the one side a little larger than the other. The one that I can't identify 100% looks like it's recessed pretty far, meaning that I'd have to stack 2 together. I have at least 30 adaptors -- I'd rather not bring the whole slew of them along.

My suggestion is to buy an "universal" power plug adapter. They fit just about everything, because you get many different plugs to plug in within the adapter package.

Yes you are correct the Spirit does have hairdryers. But if you have very thick hair or curly hair you'll end up burning your hand before you hair is dry. That's why you need to bring your own dual-volt hair dryer and an adaptor.

I'm reading that there is only one 110-volt plug and that it is not meant for hair dryers. I'm also reading that you can take a dual-voltage appliance and plug it into the 220 plug with an adaptor. What does the adaptor look like that I need? Is it a 2 round prong thing like you use in most of Europe (3 round plugs if it's grounded), or, is it a one with the 3 kind-of rectangle flat angled plugs?

Is definately not the 2 round prong. I purchased a European Kit that had three different types after my first cruise on the NCL Crown. THe one that worked was this small adapter that had two prongs. What I found out was that being in a suite I could get anything I wanted for this purpose from the butler and conceirge. Upon sailing on the Crown after that in a regular window cabin, that I only needed to go to the reception deck to sign out an adapter which needed to be retunred at the end of sailing. Same thing with the irons, you just need to get them at reception and sign them out.

Jeannie

Archived