Canadian Money

BIG4YA

We will be cruising to Alaska from Vancouver in Sept and plan on staying in Vancouver pre cruise for a few days. Do we need to get some Canadian money or do most places take America money. I understand that some credit cards can charge upwards of 5% extra for conversion. If it is easier to use Canadian money, what is the cheapest way to exchange American money for it?

Virtually every restaurant, retailier and service in Vancouver will accept the US greenback but it won't hurt to go to an ATM once you get here and get a few CDN dollars. If you use US dollars expect you change in CDN and it is a good idea to keep the denominations at $20 or under as some businesses don't want to take $50 and above for the obvious reasons.

We just got back from an Alaska cruise with a few extra days in Vancouver.

Every store we went into would accept USD, but we found their in store conversion to be quite unfavorable (they will give canadion dollars as change, no problem there). However, our hotel converted to canadian on par, so no additional fee, just a direct exchange. Conversion rates varied all over town, no consistency.

The hotel conversion saved us from overpaying when we went somewhere and made our encounters feel less touristy.

Be prepared, Vancouver is EXPENSIVE!

As an aside, we stayed at the Hampton Inn on Robson - AWESOME experience. They made us feel so welcome and really went above and beyond. Highly recommend.

Have fun!

At the close on Friday the CDN dollar was just maringally higher then the US greenback and yes some business will want to recover the exchange fees that they will incur at the bank which will likely be in the range of 3 to 5% and there are still others that wont worry about it.

Gift4gab,

Small world - we're staying at the Hampton Inn in Vancouver next week. We also are spending a couple days in Vancouver prior to our cruise. Glad to hear you liked the Hampton Inn.

So, the hotel was willing to exchange US dollars for Canadian dollars? No charge? That would save me from having to track down Canadian $$.

As an aside, we stayed at the Hampton Inn on Robson - AWESOME experience. They made us feel so welcome and really went above and beyond. Highly recommend.

I'm also happy to read that you enjoyed the Hampton Inn, because that's where my friends and I will stay pre-cruise in July. :)

How did you get from the hotel to the ship? Does the Hampton Inn have a shuttle, or did you take a taxi?

Gift4gab,

Small world - we're staying at the Hampton Inn in Vancouver next week. We also are spending a couple days in Vancouver prior to our cruise. Glad to hear you liked the Hampton Inn.

So, the hotel was willing to exchange US dollars for Canadian dollars? No charge? That would save me from having to track down Canadian $$.

I noticed you are from South Jersey...I am from exit zero and am going on Radiance next week-from Seward to Vancouver 5/30. Susie

I had some old Canadian money with me on a very recent trip. Ended up getting full value for it at a coin dealer's shop.

At least it could buy you a snack!

Yes, the bills are still legal, but banks have to send them in for exchange. The only bills that are worthless are the old paper $1's and $2's.

The Canadian government was smart and took the paper bills out of circulation so that people would have to use the coins!

I had some old Canadian money with me on a very recent trip. Ended up getting full value for it at a coin dealer's shop.

At least it could buy you a snack!

Yes, the bills are still legal, but banks have to send them in for exchange. The only bills that are worthless are the old paper $1's and $2's.

The Canadian government was smart and took the paper bills out of circulation so that people would have to use the coins!

All currency issued by the Canadian government is legal tender including $1 & $2 bills. Many people have saved them and very seldom do you see them anymore in circulation. In fact if you were to try and use them a merchant may look at you a bit strangely as the $1 bill has not been printed since 1989 and the $2 bill since 1996. You would likely be better off just ot take those notes to a Canadian bank or save them. The $10 bill that the OP has would also be legal tender but its design has probably changed at least twice in the past $25 years.

Archived