Help, which cruise based on glacier viewing

LuvToCr

I would love some ideas and suggestions on recommendations for which cruise to take. We have cruised with several differnt lines and am willing to try whichever one has the itinerary we like.

We are looking to cruise Alaska (Southbound) out of either Seward or Whittier (doesn't matter) in the mid to later part of June 2009. Different cruises I have found have itineraries with either College Fjords glacier cruising, Hubbard glacier cruising or Glacier Bay National Park cruising...any ideas on which ones would be the better glaciers to cruise by? Would love to hear suggestions on all three, pros and cons, so I can decide which itinerary and glacier cruising we want to do. Look forward to the discussion so I can get our cruise booked. Thanks for the help.

I am cruising this coming June on the NB HAL Volendam. I chose this itinerary for several reasons. After reading these boards for months it seemed like Holland and Princess have the most experience in Alaska. Since I was not cruising to cruise, but to see Alaska, I felt I should listen to the "experts." This helped a lot, because then I only had to research two cruise lines. My husband was leaning to HAL because he knew quite a few people who had gone on HAL Alaskan cruises and loved them. However, from reading these boards, it seems like they both do a great job.

Next I looked at glacier days. Glaciers were a priority for us, so I ended up going with an itinerary that included Glacier Bay and College Fjords. Many on these boards said if glaciers were a priority you should choose a cruise with two glacier viewing days. Sometimes the weather or cruising conditions are not favorable to viewing glaciers. If you have only one glacier viewing day, and it ends up not being a good day, you will be disappointed if glaciers were a priority for you. It seems like Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier are the two most popular glaciers. There are many who prefer Glacier and many who prefer Hubbard with Glacier Bay seeming to get a slight edge. Budget Queen, who has been on 20+ cruises has said she prefers Glacier Bay. People love them both. I do hope we can get back to Alaska so we can see Hubbard. No cruiselines go to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard. Not all cruiselines have the permits to go into Glacier Bay.

We chose our itineray because it had long times in port. Many on these boards suggested that you look for long port times so you can see as much as possible in the towns. This ended up giving us another opportunity for glacier viewing. With our long day in Juneau, we will be able to take the the Tracy Arm Fjords boat tour with Adventure Bound. This tour goes to Sawyer Glacier as I understand it. Since you are on a smaller boat, there is a greater likelihood you can get close-up and personal with the glacier. It is supposed to be a very scenic trip. In my early research I was debating going on a cruise that included Tracy Arm. I became very confused as to which glaciers I wanted to see. With the itineray I chose, I am maximizing my glacier viewing.

If glaciers are a priority for you, you might want a cruise out of Whittier. I understand they have some great boat tours to Glaciers from there.

We are going to Seward. I read so much about the city and I was intrigued by it. We will be taking the 9 hour Northwestern Fjords Tour. It will take us to at least one glacier. I understand we will see a lot of wildlife on this tour. We are also planning to see Exit Glacier and to visit the Alaska Sealife Center in Seward. We are debating taking a helicopter tour with a ride on a dogsled. Still not sure I am up to a flight on a helicopter. However, it is something I am still considering.

If you plan your days right, you could actually have time to spend in both Whittier and Seward. Although we are spending 9 days independent after our cruise, I need one more day to do Whittier. I am not willing to give up what I have planned so far, to do a boat tour in Whittier. I planned my trip knowing I couldn't do it all. I am disappointed I misplanned by one day. :(

Although most say it is best to cruise Southbound, we ended up with a NB cruise. We chose this because we needed to travel in June and wanted to go to Denali and take the shuttle to Wonder Lake. The road to Wonder Lake usually opens June 8. We were concerned if we planned to start our land trip in early June and it had been an exceptionally snowy winter, we might not get to Wonder Lake. We just wanted to cover all bases and try to avoid disappointments. We also have 3 people joining us for our cruise. We felt it would be better for them if we all traveled together for the cruise. When the cruise is over in Seward, they will take the ship transfer to the Anchorage airport, and we will stay behind in Seward and begin our independent land tour.

I know you were hoping for someone who had been to Alaska to respond to you. I am sure some will. However, I thought you could benefit by hearing how someone used the information on this board to plan their trip. This board has been invaluable to me. I owe this wonderful trip to this board. I have no doubt I will have a great time and I will see so much of Alaska in the limited time I will be there.

Recommend HAL or Princess to do Glacier Bay and College Fjord, too. Would not do Hubbard until July as you have to worry about ice. It really comes down to do you want to leave from Seward or Whittier?, or actually, what do you want to do before you embark?

Agree with the other posters. Glacier Bay and College Fjords were incredible last year. We will be seeing them again in a little over a week when we sail SB on the Island Princess! I am beyond excited to be going back and experience these phenominal glaciers once again!

Larry

If glaciers are a priority, then invest the time to see them. :) To really pack them in- look at one way cruises that have two sailings, which means HAL or Princess. If going on Princess, then also add a PWS boat tour out of Whittier, with Esther Passage the best. Out of Seward, get to Exit Glacier. Either, spend time interior Alaska and include treking on Matanuska. With Carnival, add Pws, and I believe there is enough time out of Juneau for Tracy Arm?? Any cruise that has a 7a- 7p port time, consider this. Get on some flights, for glacier viewing, etc., the more exposure, the more chance of calving.

Archived