Quit Job, Found new job...change cruise date???!!

mimmi

I have a western caribbean cruise scheduled for 6/22. I did quit my job 2 weeks ago and I got a new job istart new job 6/2..There is no way that I want to mention I have a cruise scheduled 3 weeks after my first day in the company. If the cruise was 3 months after I was hired I would mention at the hiring process. I don't want to have co-workers critizing me for leaving for a week after 3 weeks on the new job. I will have to change my cruise maybe for next week? Wonder if Carnival will change my dates with no problems??

Did you buy cancel for any reason insurance? I forget the dates, but you are already within penalty period, so you would just lose most of your money at this point. After final payment you cant just change dates, unfortunately.

Sometimes if someone has a huge medical problem and cant go last minute, I have heard Carnival might give a discount on another cruise if they write.

You are still 30 days out, you might be able to get up to 50% back of what you paid if you act fast. Did you book solo, maybe whomever you booked with can still go? I think for $50 you can do a name change (as long as one person on the original booking still goes), do you have a friend or does your S.O.? trying to come up with ideas. lol

I already paid 100% of the cruise cost. If I change the date I will change tomorrow after the official job offer. It will be 32 days 'til the cruise. Doesnt the policy says 30-75 days prior you get refunds or can change the date?

I have a western caribbean cruise scheduled for 6/22. I did quit my job 2 weeks ago and I got a new job istart new job 6/2..There is no way that I want to mention I have a cruise scheduled 3 weeks after my first day in the company. If the cruise was 3 months after I was hired I would mention at the hiring process. I don't want to have co-workers critizing me for leaving for a week after 3 weeks on the new job. I will have to change my cruise maybe for next week? Wonder if Carnival will change my dates with no problems??

At this time, if you cancel by the 21st you will lose your deposit, only. If you cancel between 29 and 8 days out your penalty is 50%.

If you have to cancel do it now, not later.

Since you already had this booked and paid for before your job change you should probably tell them about your planned vacation, this happens all the time. I wouldn't worry about what the other employees think, because you don't know if they've done the same themselves. I had to do this one year and my new employer was more than accomodating with my plans. It doesn't hurt to mention it to them and see what they say about keeping your vacation plans.

I just started a new job and when I mentioned that I'd need time off due to prior committments, there wasn't a problem. Employers realize that people make vacation arrangements in advance, especially in the summer.

Be honest with your new employer and see if you have the flexibility to take off.

Good Luck.

I don't think that they would say "No" but I know that interrupting my training would not look good. Work is more important than vacation; I would rather go next week and come back refreshed and ready. But I dont want to lose a bunch of money either.

I don't think that they would say "No" but I know that interrupting my training would not look good. Work is more important than vacation; I would rather go next week and come back refreshed and ready. But I dont want to lose a bunch of money either.

How much extra is the cruise next week you want to transfer too? If you have a good TA, or PVP who booked your cruise, money might talk if you pay enough extra to transfer the booking.

either way you are probably going to lose, either have to pay the going price on the new cruise date for one or lose your deposit. As someone said above, count on losing your deposit at the very least, but talk to them tomorrow, you are about out of time to only lose that much.

If the job is that good, I wouldnt jeapordise it either in order to not lose my deposit. Im also betting this close to sail date, the cruise next week is more than you paid.

Perhaps transferring the booking - rather than cancellation - would be an option. I would call who ever you booked with (PVP, CVS, TA) and talk with them about your situation and the possibilities - even if you transfer it to sometime next year.

If you can transfer your deposit to another booking I think you would only be responsible for the additional cost for the new week - if that week is more expensive than what you currently have booked.

Hopefully cancellation - and the loss of your deposit - is not your only option.

Good luck!

I believe it goes like this:

76 Days out - full refund of deposit

30 - 75 days lose deposit

8-29 days lose half of total cost

within 7 days 100% non-refundable

So you will most likely lose your deposit. I'm not sure how they handle it if you re-book on another cruise right away.

I don't think cruise interruption insurance will even help because that is for sickness/health etc and don't believe it will cover a job change. Different companies handle it different so you may be able to get paid.

Good Luck and enjoy whenever you get to go.

I have had this happen when some one wanted to transfer the current booking. But, Carnival sees it as a cancellation and new booking. So, as I said plan on losing your downpayment and be happy if you don't. But, decide what to do before day 30.

I just started a new job and when I mentioned that I'd need time off due to prior committments, there wasn't a problem. Employers realize that people make vacation arrangements in advance, especially in the summer.

Be honest with your new employer and see if you have the flexibility to take off.

Good Luck.

I been in the situation as a member of managment and employee dealing with this on.

When I was a supervisor, we had an employee who told us that her family had a cruise paid for and was set to leave one month after starting. She presented copies showing the final payment and she got the time off.

On my current job, we had a person who started and had the same situation. He was taking his wife on a cruise for their 30th anniversity. He was asking some of his co-workers what was his chances of getting off. I told him to present the papers showing that this was planned months ago. He was able to get all but three days off. But I and another person agree to pick up his shift to cover. Of course we were fellow cruisers!

But if you feel that this job won't be as flexiable, change the date asap.

I know it's a little late for this, but I think you should have been up front with them about your upcoming vacation.

It's summertime, and employers know that possible new employees may have vacations scheduled.

My husband interviewed for a position 2 years ago and they wanted him to start on a Monday.

He let them know up front that he would not be able to work the following Friday and the week after because we already had a cruise booked.

They understood, and they appreciated his honesty. He still works there and all is well.

I think you should talk to them before you cancel and test the waters.

The worse they can do is say no, but you may find them to be more understanding then you realize.

God Luck!

Since you already had this booked and paid for before your job change you should probably tell them about your planned vacation, this happens all the time. I wouldn't worry about what the other employees think, because you don't know if they've done the same themselves. I had to do this one year and my new employer was more than accomodating with my plans. It doesn't hurt to mention it to them and see what they say about keeping your vacation plans.

I agree with this. I think employers understand having a vacation booked and paid for. You should tell them and don't worry about what your coworkers will think.

I agree with this. I think employers understand having a vacation booked and paid for. You should tell them and don't worry about what your coworkers will think.

Only problem with this is the OP mentioned going thru training. If the training involves other people or is some kind of structured training, this might not work.

During my initial interview for the job I have now, I told my supervisor that was interviewing me that I had a cruise already planned for a month later. She was excited for me and then said that it has been her experience when hiring new nurses that they all have had a vacation in the works prior to interviewing. It has just become the norm where I work. It has never been a problem.

Pat

I did that, actually. My very first job out of college my DH (then boyfriend) surprised me with a 7-day cruise (with a balcony!) for my graduation, and I just disclosed it when I got hired and it wasn't a problem. My immediate boss at the time was ajerk about it, but it was agreed to when I was hired so he couldn't do anything but be an jerk.

I don't miss that job...

Only problem with this is the OP mentioned going thru training. If the training involves other people or is some kind of structured training, this might not work.

I agree, if the training involves multiple new hires, its really problematic if one person doesnt show up. I know some companies have really stringent rules during training.

Only the OP knows his job situation.

40+ working years. I have always planned my vacations waaaay in advance.. Told at Hire, or interview I had already planned..never a problem..especiallly when it is a 1 time shot wedding/or simialr, and paid. Then I bought my own business, and never had to "ask" off..now I just gooo when the mood strikes..but then... I'm ollllllder now too! Good Lucky dear.lucky

During my initial interview for the job I have now, I told my supervisor that was interviewing me that I had a cruise already planned for a month later. She was excited for me and then said that it has been her experience when hiring new nurses that they all have had a vacation in the works prior to interviewing. It has just become the norm where I work. It has never been a problem.

Pat

That's funny! Me, too...same scenario. In fact the interview panel was pretty jealous. I joked with them that I hoped it wouldn't affect their decision to hire me, but the cruise was 6 weeks after my start date, already paid for, and if I had to weigh out a job against a cruise...well, I have priorities:)

OP, hope it works out well for you. Let us know.

Archived