Complaining Couple Banned from RCI

I have heard that RCL is a sponsor of this site. That is why RCL hosts CC parties on each cruise and Carnival doesnt. RCL cruises you click thru to sign up and if 25 people sign up they put on a really nice party. We had huge chocolate covered stawberries, and wonderfull food.

I was told, I think by a host, this is because RCL is a sponsor of CC. I would think that might give them more leverage on what is posted here if they feel its unfair or that folks are helping others to complain to get compensation.

Royal Caribbean is a advertiser on this site. Yes they do have the Meet and Mingles but if you choose to believe that they can make CC remove a post or thread then go ahead.:rolleyes:

I bet the cruise line keeps a record of some sort of what compensation they give to who, I bet at some point a pattern might be seen?

I cannot speak for cruiselines but a former collegue who has done claims investigations for a large hotel group confirms that hotels do do this for exactly that purpose. When a pattern of behaviour becomes apparent, action is generally taken.

Whats the topic again ???

jj......

The article was the topic, so anything included in it I suppose!

Someone mentioned the CC person still posts here, I wonder if they'll add their thoughts or if this thread is also running on the other boards here...

I cant stand people who try to complain their way into more and more adjustments

I can't either. Some people just like to complain to see what they can get.:mad:

I don't blame RCCL, either. I mean, honestly, if these people are so unhappy with RCCL, then they should pick a different line. Simple.

I think Admin and Hosts would prefer we discuss the actual topic of the thread not the people involved as in ..no naming of names.
Yes! That's exactly it. ;)

To whomever asked, the member review is on the site and has always been on the site. It was never removed and it was never altered. It was never posted as a review on the message board itself; just submitted as an official CC review. Just an FYI.

Cecilia

Community Assistant

You know, often these types of things are late in getting to the media, so maybe this all happened months ago, I wonder! I wonder how the news story got to msnbc too. I wonder if was the CC member noted or if it was by some other method.

I have worked for 2 of the largest travel agency in the country. They keep files on those that complain, and what the resolution was. After a while all transactions are done in writing so that there is a record of what was requested, and what was done. There have been times when a client has been ask to use another agency. With technology these days, I am hoping there will be more people who are banned. It will keep the cost down for the rest of us.

I worked for a major credit card company who is starting to track the $$$$ value of each card holder. Being a chronic complainer lowers your value to the company and how much they will give for compensation. About 10% of the card holders were classed as "chronic" meaning they disputed almost every charge, just because they knew it would take a couple of months to get a reply back from the merchant. Example. $8000 charge from a pool company. Dispute reason "no knowledge of charge". Pretty hard to forget you had a pool installed in your back yard.

Big brother is starting to track chronic complainers, not just in the cruise industry.

If this person was complaining about every cruise, they took a lot of time away of the staff, which is expensive for the cruise line. Im not sure I blame RCL. We wouldnt ever know for sure, so I dont want to jump to conclusions, but sounds like many here believe she was a chronic complainer.

People cannot just go around vandalizing the ship (stuffing too much of the wrong thing down a toilet, jimmying the lock on a balcony, etc.) and get free upgrades or credits forever.
I think we all agree with that. Let me see, what's the worst thing that's happened to me on a cruise. I locked myself out of the room -- my own dumb fault -- and I had to find my 10-year old at the pool to let me back in. I always get stinky dining room tables. Chair hogs -- now that's something to complain about! Seriously, chair hogs are my #1 complaint. That's not really too bad, is it?

Anyway, good for RCCL = this way they can continue the tradition of cookie cutter, mass market service for which they are so deservedly known!
Fortunately we each have the option to "vote with our dollar" and use them or ignore them! If you genuinely think they're beneath you, no one's going to force you to sail with them.

But....should Cruise Critic give her the forum to do that???

Why not? Unless there was a confidentiality agreement (which then has been broken if a person tells) who is to say we can't share that part of our cruise experience?

I think that leads to a dangerous path of only having "positive" experiences posted here. It's hard enough to post something genuinely negative already without people jumping down your throat telling you how great THEIR vacation was. Crap happens. Sure some crap isn't as bad as some people make it out to be probably, but censorship sucks.

You know, often these types of things are late in getting to the media, so maybe this all happened months ago, I wonder! I wonder how the news story got to msnbc too. I wonder if was the CC member noted or if it was by some other method.

Ya know, I was wondering the same thing. RCCL banned them "last November". It's not news NOW...it was news "last November". I am wondering why MSNBC decided to pick up this story. Just seems odd. And this is coming from someone with a journalism background. It's not news if it happened 7 months ago, it's HISTORY.

But....should Cruise Critic give her the forum to do that???

Yes, I absolutely believe they should. That's the great thing about CC. Everyone is given a forum to speak their mind/opinion about cruising. I am not one for censoring though. ;)

Why not? Unless there was a confidentiality agreement (which then has been broken if a person tells) who is to say we can't share that part of our cruise experience?
I don't know what the legal ruling would be, but it seems to me -- from a moral standpoint -- that if you accept the "settlement", you've agreed that everything is now okay between you and the other party, and you're satisfied. That seems to imply that you wouldn't continue to complain about the wrongdoing.

It's not really censorship so much as accepting that things go wrong sometimes, and the company has tried to "make it right" for you. If you genuinely agree that they've done their best, then it's in poor taste to continue to whine. If you think they haven't done enough, then you shouldn't accept the "apology offer".

I don't know what the legal ruling would be, but it seems to me -- from a moral standpoint -- that if you accept the "settlement", you've agreed that everything is now okay between you and the other party, and you're satisfied. That seems to imply that you wouldn't continue to complain about the wrongdoing.

It's not really censorship so much as accepting that things go wrong sometimes, and the company has tried to "make it right" for you. If you genuinely agree that they've done their best, then it's in poor taste to continue to whine. If you think they haven't done enough, then you shouldn't accept the "apology offer".

I understand what you are saying. I'm just saying that I think people have the right to say, "This happened to me and I was compensated and everything is fine now". If they are still ticked, it's their own problem and I think people here are smart enough to know that they should be happy that they compensated at all.

Ya know, I was wondering the same thing. RCCL banned them "last November". It's not news NOW...it was news "last November". I am wondering why MSNBC decided to pick up this story. Just seems odd. And this is coming from someone with a journalism background. It's not news if it happened 7 months ago, it's HISTORY.

The story was actually pulled from another travel website by MSNBC,, www.tripso.com, and was just posted today. The site rotates through it's authors, and this is probably one Anita has had in the works for awhile.

I remember that thread too about someone being banned from RCL now that you mention it. I didn't know the stories were related though. Didn't that situation get itself worked out?

That situation is not related in anyway to this issue. Totally separate incidents.

The story was actually pulled from another travel website by MSNBC,, www.tripso.com, and was just posted today. The site rotates through it's authors, and this is probably one Anita has had in the works for awhile.

If you click on the story we're discussing, underneath there are links to other cruise stories. GEESH, everyone got a pickle to complain about??

• Administrators
I have heard that RCL is a sponsor of this site. That is why RCL hosts CC parties on each cruise and Carnival doesnt. RCL cruises you click thru to sign up and if 25 people sign up they put on a really nice party. We had huge chocolate covered stawberries, and wonderfull food.

I was told, I think by a host, this is because RCL is a sponsor of CC. I would think that might give them more leverage on what is posted here if they feel its unfair or that folks are helping others to complain to get compensation.

Clarification: RCI is an advertiser; as are many other cruise lines from time to time.

• Administrators
I remember that thread too about someone being banned from RCL now that you mention it. I didn't know the stories were related though. Didn't that situation get itself worked out?

The stories are NOT related.

Regarding discussing a "settlement" after you get it....

Just because you get something for compensation from a compnay does not mean you cannot or should not discuss it. Only a Confidentiality Agreement says that.

For instance, as the beautiful and talented Parrotthead pointed out earlier in this thread, I recently stayed in a hotel where I was greeted in my bed by a flying roach the size of Rhode Island (a very nice hotel otherwise, by the way). I got a free room after I took the evil beast down to the desk still kicking in a water glass.

But I have EVERY RIGHT to tell whomever I choose, because I signed nothing to say that I wouldn't. I even posted a picture of the roach on my MySpace page to share him with the world. But i have no other complaints against the hotel, they just need a better exterminator I guess. :p

So yeah, Hilton in Galveston, big flying roach, free room, film at eleven...:eek:

Regarding discussing a "settlement" after you get it....

Just because you get something for compensation from a compnay does not mean you cannot or should not discuss it. Only a Confidentiality Agreement says that.

For instance, as the beautiful and talented Parrotthead pointed out earlier in this thread, I recently stayed in a hotel where I was greeted in my bed by a flying roach the size of Rhode Island (a very nice hotel otherwise, by the way). I got a free room after I took the evil beast down to the desk still kicking in a water glass.

But I have EVERY RIGHT to tell whomever I choose, because I signed nothing to say that I wouldn't. I even posted a picture of the roach on my MySpace page to share him with the world. But i have no other complaints against the hotel, they just need a better exterminator I guess. :p

So yeah, Hilton in Galveston, big flying roach, free room, film at eleven...:eek:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Don't be surprised if you see a "friends" request from me at your My Space page. I need to see the monster roach in a water glass!!!! :eek: :D :D :D

Someone asked earlier how RCCL figured out who they were based on a Cruise Critic review...

I am willing to bet that in one of the complaint letters to the cruiseline, the person stated something like, "And I am a member of Cruise Critic, and on-line community with XXXXX members.." and then went on to explain that the cruise forum is a great way for them to share their negative experiences with those other XXXXX members, should their problem not be resolved.

I have a friend who works for a really large well-known resort, which also happens to have its very own forum with a gazillion members, and he has gotten letters in the past where a disgruntled traveler has mentioned their association with the forum, as if it were a threat to compensate them better.

My 2 cents.

CeleBrat

the thing that gets me is if the intent of the passenger is not to scam RC out of Service recovery money then why in the world would someone continue to cruise a line that has given them so many issues

Think about that:)

Archived