Sailing in Coco Cay - Not?

Just got back from a great cruise...however....

When I went to the beach to rent a Hobie Cat, they told me that they were "broken down". It seems highly unlikely that all 3 sailboats would be broken down at the exact same time.

Has anyone else been unable to rent a Hobie lately at Coco Cay? Just curious as to how common this problem might be, since my favorite thing to do at Coco Cay is to go sailing.

I've been to resorts where a large number of the sailboats, scuba gear, etc. was "broken". Keep in mind that these items get used by multiple people (many inexperienced) almost every day. When one breaks, the solution is simple, head down to the marine supply store or Home Depot for the required parts. Let's see, the last time I was at Coco Cay, they had not started construction of the Home Depot yet !! I imagine getting parts and getting someone skilled to fix the boats is not that easy.

I've been to resorts where a large number of the sailboats, scuba gear, etc. was "broken". Keep in mind that these items get used by multiple people (many inexperienced) almost every day. When one breaks, the solution is simple, head down to the marine supply store or Home Depot for the required parts. Let's see, the last time I was at Coco Cay, they had not started construction of the Home Depot yet !! I imagine getting parts and getting someone skilled to fix the boats is not that easy.

If a part breaks on a sailboat, and you have 3 identical sailboat, then you should have at least 2 working sailboats. If 2 parts break on 2 differernt sailboats, then you should be able to canibalize from the other ones to get at least 1 or 2 working sailboats.

It would take the exact same part breaking at the exact same time on all 3 boats to not be able to have at least 1 working boat. This is highly unlikely. Remember these boats have no motors or mechanical parts.

There are ships in Coco Cay many times each week which can deliver replacement parts. The parts most likely to break (cotter-pins, etc.) would normally be kept on hand. This means, that a rarely broken part would have to break on all 3 boats at the exact same time.

It just seems highly unlikely that "broken down" was the real reason that all the sailboats are out of commission.

Archived