What to Wear - 10 yr Boy on Formal Night?

ISKI4FN

We are sailing on Explorer of the Seas on Oct 24th. Any sugestions on what a 10 year old boy should wear to dinner on the formal nights?

Is a white shirt and tie sufficent? Does he need a jacket?

:confused:

Thanks

We sailed on the Mariner of the Seas this summer. Believe it or not, my step-son (11 years old) wore a tux on both formal nights. He wanted to match his father and the pictures came out wonderful!! Plus, it was his first cruise and he was totally excited about. We may take the kids again next year for Christmas since it will be our last family Christmas together.

By the way, we rented the tux through RCCL. They provide everything from socks to vests. However, if you decide to rent from them, don't forget the socks. We forgot the socks and let me tell you, white socks didn't look very good with a black tux.:eek: Oh well.

You can always go with just the long sleeve shirt and tie too.

We've sailed on the Rhapsody of the Seas, the Dawn Princess and the Grand Princess with our three kids. My two boys are 10 and 8. They either wear shirts and ties w/o jackets or polo shirts with slacks. My husband wears a suit and I wear a dressy calf length dress. As long as you are dressed up somewhat, the kids do not have to dress as formally. We have some nice pictures taken on the ship on these nights that make great Xmas card pictures! My kids also bring their backpacks along with some of their things, like gameboys, paper and crayons, etc.. so they have some things of their own to do. Have a fun cruise!

Our family of 5 have been on 3 cruises now. My DS was 9 for the 1st cruise, 10 on the next two cruises. He wore a suit for 2 of our 3 cruises on all the formal nights and looked great. Other cruise--he had outgrown his suit and I had an impossible time trying to find him a 12 slim suit that I liked!

My 1st pick would be for him to wear a suit, but if this isn't possible, the nice dress slacks, white shirt, AND tie works fine also, just not quite as nice and it doesn't look nearly as good in your pictures later. BTW: Ebay is where I've done all his "suit" shopping---you might give this a try.

greetings --

after reading the responses to the op, i decided that maybe i too was planning on dressing my ds's (ages 6 & 3) a little too casually. so as not to drop major coin, i just purchased 2 brand new matching tuxedos for them...from ebay. they are black with white pleated shirts, each with a red bow tie & cumberbund -- we're sailing on christmas day & i thought that would be festive. this awesome combo set me back a whopping 13 bucks each, less than i would spend on a dress shirt for the 6 yr old at jc penneys. so, as is my motto for myself, i'd rather have them be a little overdressed and look adorable than be underdressed and embarrassed. besides, i can sell them on ebay once we get back. any takers?:D

ileta: Wow. And here I thought I did pretty good on ebay~~~but you beat me all to heck! I think I paid about $20 for my son's suit, but $13 for a tux???!!!! You did good! I think you'll be so happy with the results, especially since you're cruising over the holidays, a time when I understand the ships are all decorated nicely. Happy sails!

ileta: Wow. And here I thought I did pretty good on ebay~~~but you beat me all to heck! I think I paid about $20 for my son's suit, but $13 for a tux???!!!! You did good! I think you'll be so happy with the results, especially since you're cruising over the holidays, a time when I understand the ships are all decorated nicely. Happy sails!

i'll post pics when we get back!;)

My son (age 12) has always worn a tux on formal night. We rent from our local Mr.Tux. Most tux rental places offer a cruise package that includes at least 2 shirts. Not as cheap as ebay, but its easy and the tux fits great!!

Archived