Instant Mashed Potatoes?

a9753

I just got off the Island Princess, and I have been used to Princess's great mashed potatoes (I order them everynight). These were different, they were bland and tasted instant from a box. Has this changed fleetwide, or was this a one off thing? I hope the great mashed potatoes return. What has been your experience?

i agree that they did taste like they were instant as i have just got home from this cruise on island princess today. On another note.... Have you ever heard of a downgrade!

My wife and I just completed a 3 day repositioning cruise on Island Princess. At the time of booking in October of 2007 I had requested a Mini-Suite with a balcony. I booked this cruise direct with 1-800-Princess. During the booking process I had confirmed that Mini-Suite B*** was indeed a balcony as the person on the phone had indicated. I made it known to the person on the phone that a balcony was required. I was under the assumption that I had booked and paid for a Mini-Suite with a balcony. I feel extremely miss-lead.

Once we arrived, and were on the ship, we were shocked to find out that this stateroom (B***) did not have the balcony that we requested.

I took this issue up on the first day with Guest Relations on board. This was not a good experience. The person behind the counter, with very poor english kept asking who my travel agent was. I kept indicating that it was “1-800-Princess” as we booked direct through 1-800-PRINCESS. He said there was nothing that they could do and I would have to deal with “Customer Relations” after the cruise was complete. He also mentioned before finding out that we booked through 1-800-Princess that this was our travel agent’s fault. After finding out who we booked through he became very apologetic.

i agree that they did taste like they were instant as i have just got home from this cruise on island princess today. On another note.... Have you ever heard of a downgrade!

My wife and I just completed a 3 day repositioning cruise on Island Princess. At the time of booking in October of 2007 I had requested a Mini-Suite with a balcony. I booked this cruise direct with 1-800-Princess. During the booking process I had confirmed that Mini-Suite B*** was indeed a balcony as the person on the phone had indicated. I made it known to the person on the phone that a balcony was required. I was under the assumption that I had booked and paid for a Mini-Suite with a balcony. I feel extremely miss-lead.

Once we arrived, and were on the ship, we were shocked to find out that this stateroom (B***) did not have the balcony that we requested.

I took this issue up on the first day with Guest Relations on board. This was not a good experience. The person behind the counter, with very poor english kept asking who my travel agent was. I kept indicating that it was “1-800-Princess” as we booked direct through 1-800-PRINCESS. He said there was nothing that they could do and I would have to deal with “Customer Relations” after the cruise was complete. He also mentioned before finding out that we booked through 1-800-Princess that this was our travel agent’s fault. After finding out who we booked through he became very apologetic.

That is why you should always check on the deck plans to make sure that the cabin you have been assigned is what you are expecting it to be. Even if you do not have a Princess brochure with deck plans in front of you the deck plans are available online. If you came here to complain then you obviously had the ability to go to Princess.com and check the deck plans. If they told you your cabin number when you booked then I am sure you paid for the category you booked (and got), so there is no downgrade involved.

I just got off the Island Princess, and I have been used to Princess's great mashed potatoes (I order them everynight). These were different, they were bland and tasted instant from a box. Has this changed fleetwide, or was this a one off thing? I hope the great mashed potatoes return. What has been your experience?

Someone on another thread yesterday said she had instant mashed potatoes and she got roasted for saying it but perhaps she was right all along. I must say I never eat the mashed potatoes on board but my DH had some on Sea Princess last month and they did not look too good and, in fact, he did say they did not taste too good.

Anymore, it seems whether you use a TA or book direct, you have to do your own investigating/homework. Sorry to hear you were assigned (chose) one of the larger minis that didn't have a balcony, I can only imagine the shock when you entered your suite. :eek:

I always look at the locations of each avilalble stateroom on the deck plan before I accept a stateroom, just to make sure it is acceptable.

Did you never go to the deck plans and have a peak before you boarded?

In 13 cruises I don't ever recall even seeing mashed potatoes on the menus!! I'll have to pay attention next month on the Sea Princess.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think I've ever had mashed potatoes on a cruise..... I prefer something I can't easily make at home!

Archived