What is currency in New Zealand and Australia

Fabian52

Aaawwwww.... poor downtrodden kiwi's ...they live in the land of sheep .. and they are different...

Us Aussies.. well we are just cool....... :cool:

Having sorted out who is trumps ..I just wanted to emphasise that in Australia , Amex is very widely accepted.

The mercant fees are higher , and so some smaller traders may not accept it , especailly out of the cities.

Visa is almost universally accepted , more so than Mastercard.

Amex charges me 2.5% forex transaction fee for US and other currency transactions .. and is always off the money in terms of the latest exchange rates.. that is unless the rates are changing in their favour .. and then they are very fast on their feet.

Travellers Cheques are a cost effective way of generating cash.

:p

Aaawwwww.... poor downtrodden kiwi's ...they live in the land of sheep .. and they are different...

Us Aussies.. well we are just cool....... :cool:

Having sorted out who is trumps ..I just wanted to emphasise that in Australia , Amex is very widely accepted.

The mercant fees are higher , and so some smaller traders may not accept it , especailly out of the cities.

Visa is almost universally accepted , more so than Mastercard.

Amex charges me 2.5% forex transaction fee for US and other currency transactions .. and is always off the money in terms of the latest exchange rates.. that is unless the rates are changing in their favour .. and then they are very fast on their feet.

Travellers Cheques are a cost effective way of generating cash.

and how many kiwis do you have in your family???:D

We have our share of Aussies - brother in law and sister in law!!

my brother married my sister's husband's sister!

How tasmanian is that!! (JOKE:p )

:p

and how many kiwis do you have in your family???:D

We have our share of Aussies - brother in law and sister in law!!

my brother married my sister's husband's sister!

How tasmanian is that!! (JOKE:p )

:rolleyes: I think we are off topic... just a little. :rolleyes:

We get really touchy.

One lady on tripadvisor from Georgia USA asked if she needed a pasport for New Zealand-

OMG!!!

Some People!!

A valid passport is required for a US Citizen for entry into New Zealand. No visa is required for stays up to three months.

The US Department of Homeland Security, also requires a US Citizens returning into the United States via air to be in possession of a valid USA passport.

This was a particularly hot topic last year when a lot of cruisers were blaming Canada for requiring a passport, when the actual requirement was for the US citizens to have one for return to their country.

I have spoken to Americans who complained Bitterly about getting Passports to travel into Mexico,

For us owning a passport is almost akin to having a driving liscence.

Where can we go without one?

It seems that a lot of Americans are happy to holiday very close to home (wanting things on holiday to be as they are at home),

Personally I like to see/experience things that are different from home.

I would think -even with old rules etc-for Americans -

Carrying a passport would be wise in case something went wrong and you had to fly home.

Not to change the topic greatly, but I just read on the HAL site (just comparison shopping) that you will need a visa in Australia...which I don't believe I was informed of by Celebrity for our 1/18/09 cruise. Do you suppose they provide same (Oceania did for some ports...at an elevated fee we discovered) IF we do and the ship doesn't provide them...can you purchase at the dock??? Very few of the cities we visited worldwide, including Egypt, needed a visa for cruise ship passengers (Turkey is one)

Australia has required Visas for quite some time.

The first time we went "down under", we obtained Visas from the Australian Consulate in San Francisco.

They can be obtained on-line. The last two times we went, they were obtained for us by our travel agent (on-line). Sorry, I don't have a link.

We get really touchy.

One lady on tripadvisor from Georgia USA asked if she needed a pasport for New Zealand-

OMG!!!

Some People!!

She asked the same question if it was required in NY. But I don't complain about the policy of not tipping in NZ or AUS. The tradition just has grown up differently elsewhere(as it has on cruise ships). Most people who are tipped get more than if they were paid minimum wage(which in the US is a disgraceful amount).

What that has to do with the currency used in any of these countries is beyond me but some people get obsessed with their way being right.

She asked the same question if it was required in NY. But I don't complain about the policy of not tipping in NZ or AUS. The tradition just has grown up differently elsewhere(as it has on cruise ships). Most people who are tipped get more than if they were paid minimum wage(which in the US is a disgraceful amount).

What that has to do with the currency used in any of these countries is beyond me but some people get obsessed with their way being right.

When IN ROME DO as the ROMANS DO!!

I have no problem with differences in each country but I get sick of all these posters Making out how big they always tip,

(where ever they are)

Because we find that when people from tipping countries come to NZ,

in the majority of cases they don't-

and it has little to do with service-

They are not expected to and nor do they in most cases

When IN ROME DO as the ROMANS DO!!

I have no problem with differences in each country but I get sick of all these posters Making out how big they always tip,

(where ever they are)

Because we find that when people from tipping countries come to NZ,

in the majority of cases they don't-

and it has little to do with service-

They are not expected to and nor do they in most cases

Yes but why then complain about it or say that your country pays a living wage. Some Americans are cheap. some Americans are generous. As a people American tend to be more generous than many others(remember the Marshall Plan among others). They are sometimes xenophobic and ignorant(and loud) but that doesn't make them bad it just makes them different. I speak some French and Spanish but I really don't need to. Many Americans have never traveled outside the US...me I have been to all continents except Australia and Antarctica but that is really my choice. There was a time a hundred years ago that most people never traveled more than 100 miles from where they were born...that is the way it was.I don't like people who refuse to tip where the custom is to tip. I have no problem with people not tipping where the custom is not to tip---why should they? I don't particularly like tipping I find it annoying. You never know whether its the right or wrong amount. I know there isn't any right or wrong amount but it concerns me to get it right. I feel for the worker who relies on tips and some cheap or ignorant so and so stiffs them(may be its my background as an attorney representing Unions).....and there are always the people who brag about no tipping because the cruise line should pay a "living" wage...but don't want the cruise fare raised to reflect the difference-ignorant and stupid...ok enough of an OT rant...

Yes but why then complain about it or say that your country pays a living wage. Some Americans are cheap. some Americans are generous. As a people American tend to be more generous than many others(remember the Marshall Plan among others). They are sometimes xenophobic and ignorant(and loud) but that doesn't make them bad it just makes them different. I speak some French and Spanish but I really don't need to. Many Americans have never traveled outside the US...me I have been to all continents except Australia and Antarctica but that is really my choice. There was a time a hundred years ago that most people never traveled more than 100 miles from where they were born...that is the way it was.I don't like people who refuse to tip where the custom is to tip. I have no problem with people not tipping where the custom is not to tip---why should they? I don't particularly like tipping I find it annoying. You never know whether its the right or wrong amount. I know there isn't any right or wrong amount but it concerns me to get it right. I feel for the worker who relies on tips and some cheap or ignorant so and so stiffs them(may be its my background as an attorney representing Unions).....and there are always the people who brag about no tipping because the cruise line should pay a "living" wage...but don't want the cruise fare raised to reflect the difference-ignorant and stupid...ok enough of an OT rant...

Funny how we seem to agree on the points you have outlined

Actually we don't pay very good wages for our cost of living- and our fuel price is crippling

$2.07 Per litre for 91 and more fore 96

but as small business owner myself I know that it is a fine juggling act between what you would like to pay and what you can afford to pay,

We are only starting to holiday overseas now because we have 2 incomes and have been married 22 years-

No major dramas with breakups etc

This is a thoughtful and constructive post.. thanks.

As an Aussie , I have no problem tipping where it is customary, although it does make me a bit uneasy and I find the pressure of trying to get it right .. onerous.

I do find those who make overt demonstrations of generous tipping to be a bit off, especially when there is a large social gap between the tipper and the tippee (Yes..it's not a word but you get my drift)..... but to each his own.

It is quite common to round up bills and to tip for good restaurant service in Australia these days .. and savvy waiters have learned to milk tips from Americans who probably feel embarrassed NOT tipping.

Quite simply .. in Australia .. tip for reward.. never ever tip in advance.

Australia has required Visas for quite some time.

The first time we went "down under", we obtained Visas from the Australian Consulate in San Francisco.

They can be obtained on-line. The last two times we went, they were obtained for us by our travel agent (on-line). Sorry, I don't have a link.

Guess I'm just surprised that we weren't informed about this by Celebrity, not that Visas were needed. Haven't seen anything in my paperwork about visas. Oceania informed us, and offered to sell them (at an inflated price) Perhaps more would be coming after final payment time, but that leaves little time to obtain. Will contact TA, thanks....:)

Guess I'm just surprised that we weren't informed about this by Celebrity' date=' not that Visas were needed. Haven't seen anything in my paperwork about visas. Oceania informed us, and offered to sell them (at an inflated price) Perhaps more would be coming after final payment time, but that leaves little time to obtain. Will contact TA, thanks....:)[/quote']

We were never informed by Celebrity, prior to our Down Under cruise. I found out that one was needed on our Roll Call.

Thank you so much for telling us about the visa. I googled Australia and visa and found out one is definitely needed in Australia but not in NZ. My only problem was trusting the site I found considering they ask for our passport and credit card numbers. We do have plenty of time to go to the consulate in downtown Chicago thanks to you guys.

When we booked this cruise on the Millenium for Australia/New Zealand we were informed by our TA that you do need a visa for Australia. She is doing it for no charge for us. She has the program in her computer.

FYI

If you are staying under 3 months, you need an ETA (Visas are needed over 3 months). Very easy to do online yourself. This is what we used to obtain our Electronic Travel Authority. The cost is $20A service fee.

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

What is an ETA?

An ETA is equivalent to a visa, but there is no stamp or label in your passport and there is no need for you to visit an Australian diplomatic office to submit an application. Applications for ETAs can be submitted through travel agents or airlines.

Now, you can also submit applications directly through this web site by clicking on the Apply for ETA button and, in most cases, we will be able to approve your ETA in less than 30 seconds. In a small number of cases, if your ETA cannot be approved immediately, you will need to check back in 12 hours to confirm whether your application has been successful. You can also check your ETA status, if you applied through this site, by clicking on the Check your ETA button.

The ETA is issued electronically by a computer system operated for the Department of Immigration And Citizenship (DIAC) of Australia.

When an application for an ETA is submitted through this site, all you need to do is enter the details from your passport and your credit card information. The application is processed immediately. Approved applications are electronically recorded on Australian Government systems.

When you arrive at an airport for check-in on a flight to Australia, the airline check-in staff can electronically confirm that you have authority to board the flight to Australia.

If you are staying under 3 months, you need an ETA (Visas are needed over 3 months). Very easy to do online yourself. This is what we used to obtain our Electronic Travel Authority. The cost is $20A service fee.

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

What is an ETA?

An ETA is equivalent to a visa, but there is no stamp or label in your passport and there is no need for you to visit an Australian diplomatic office to submit an application. Applications for ETAs can be submitted through travel agents or airlines.

Now, you can also submit applications directly through this web site by clicking on the Apply for ETA button and, in most cases, we will be able to approve your ETA in less than 30 seconds. In a small number of cases, if your ETA cannot be approved immediately, you will need to check back in 12 hours to confirm whether your application has been successful. You can also check your ETA status, if you applied through this site, by clicking on the Check your ETA button.

The ETA is issued electronically by a computer system operated for the Department of Immigration And Citizenship (DIAC) of Australia.

When an application for an ETA is submitted through this site, all you need to do is enter the details from your passport and your credit card information. The application is processed immediately. Approved applications are electronically recorded on Australian Government systems.

When you arrive at an airport for check-in on a flight to Australia, the airline check-in staff can electronically confirm that you have authority to board the flight to Australia.

This is the site I used for our Visa's.

Archived