Excursions on a budget

dbhome

We are thrilled just to go on the cruise (Princess - Whittier to Vancouver), but now we are wondering what to do at the ports - Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. We love hiking, biking and exploring on our own. We are in our 40's and like to be adventurous. We are not really big tour types. We are really watching our budget. And yet, we don't want to really miss out on something great because we were too stingy. What to do???? Any ideas?

Skagway has lots of historical museums, etc. downtown that can easily be walked to. You might also pick up some hiking trails info. The town is a wonderful place to explore on your own. If you want to spend any money on a tour here, the White Pass Rail Road tour is not to be missed.

Juneau - you can certainly explore on your own here, too. If you've never been whale watching, I wouldn't miss that. Probably costs a little more than it use to (probably 100+ per person) but worth it. Guaranteed to see a whale or your money back.

Ketchikan - easy walk to Creek Street and take the lift up to the hotel on top of Creek Street - the view is fabulous. Go in the coffee shop, enjoy a coffee as you overlook the ship/dock and bay. Then, hike down the trail along side of the hotel back to Creek Street. Very scenic along the way and places to stop for a photo. (This trail was used by husbands at night to visit the bordellos on Creek Street!)... It is really a beautiful hike and if it's during salmon season, there is actually a creek at the bottom where you will see salmon swimming upstream.

We are thrilled just to go on the cruise (Princess - Whittier to Vancouver), but now we are wondering what to do at the ports - Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. We love hiking, biking and exploring on our own. We are in our 40's and like to be adventurous. We are not really big tour types. We are really watching our budget. And yet, we don't want to really miss out on something great because we were too stingy. What to do???? Any ideas?

We've enjoyed some very budget friendly port times in Alaska. By the way, I love the Princess one-way itineraries!

Skagway ~ top of my list would be a car rental and drive into the Yukon Territory. Most use Emerald Lake as the turn-around destination. It is a beautiful drive, go at your own pace, with the option of spending some time in Skagway. While this used to be budget friendly, especially for two or more, considering fuel costs, I'm not sure how it stacks up now... Skagway also offers a nice National Park Service walking tour of some town historical sites. You'll want to sign up at the Klondike museum to be put on a list for the tour, if interested. We also have walked through the cemetery on the outskirts of town... and a short trail to Reid Falls begins there. Red Onion Saloon has an interesting brothel tour for $5.

Juneau ~ Mendenhall Glacier is an inexpensive highlight. Round-trip shuttle from near the dock to the glacier is around $12 or so pp. Mt. Roberts tram is a little more costly, but depending on weather conditions, the view is fabulous, and trails are numerous once upon the mountain. One time we went for the really cheap seats while in Juneau, and hopped a city bus. We saw places most tourists never see! Not something I'd particularly recommend, or do again, either...

Ketchikan ~ this is a nice walking town. Creek Street is a nice little walk for browsing. There are also trails and totem poles in and around Ketchikan. Saxman Village and Totem Bight park are both reasonable priced excursions.

There are other fabulous excursions in port, but most are pricey. I have never been flightseeing, but have taken some wonderful boat excursions out of several ports. If there is something in particular you really want to do, I wouldn't skimp... but if nothing really grabs you, I think you can have a wonderful visit to Alaska without overspending.:)

I was very taken with the helicopter /dogsled glacier trip, but it would almost double our budget - for only a couple of hours. I think that one is beyond us at this time.

When are you sailing? Depending on your lifestyle, perhaps you can save on non-essentials between now and then, and take the one excursion you'd really like to take?

Dbhome,

Welcome to CC....

We just like yourself. We love to hike, etc but keep on a budget.

There several good hiking areas and things you can do cheap...

Ketchikan there lots of walks in town and out of town. There is the show

for the lumberjack, cost about $25.00 pp .. Creekstreet history is fun and

watch the salmon if you there the right time of the year. There is totem

poles you can take the bus to for just 2 per person.

Juneau - Whale watching is a must if you can budget it. Its worth the $$

to go. Mt Roberts which is 25 pp for all day pass takes you to the top and

there nice hiking trails and fantastic views.

Skagway is a nice old charm town. Lots of history here. I am not a big

fan of the train.... But rent a car for about $100.00 and explorer the outside

of town.

Juneau ~ One time we went for the really cheap seats while in Juneau, and hopped a city bus. We saw places most tourists never see! Not something I'd particularly recommend, or do again, either...

oh, come on. you got to see the lemon creek correctional facility......

when taking the bus from the valley to downtown or reverse, always take the 'express'.

i've always enjoyed the state museum downtown and mendenhall is a must.

See Alaska on $10 a day? No. But I have previously advocated the apparent minority view that you do not need to spend big bucks to experience the sights, sounds and smells of Alaska. Others on CC sure let me know they disagree. I would recommend skipping flight tours, helicopter landings on glaciers, whale watching, loggers show, dogsled rides, Mt Roberts tram and renting cars. OK, y'all. Let the games begin.

A former Southeastern Alaskan

you can rent bicycles in Juneau for $15-25pp.

http://www.driftwoodalaska.com/Bicycle-rentals.htm

http://www.cycleak.com/

Also, when I was in Skagway, there were college students down by the docks talking people (including us) into a cheap tour around town and then up the Klondike to the Welcome to Alaska sign. I think it was $10 then, but that was about 9 years ago... they would gather a group of about 15, take everyone to the cemetery and waterfall and a couple of other points of interest, then throw everyone in the van to ride out to the sign with a couple of stops along the way.

Ketchikan is just a lot of fun to wander around in.

Don't forget if you do rent a car - the current gas price in AK is around $4.

$100 for the rental car, 8 gal. of gas $32. That is much less than the cost of train for one person and you can take a car full for that amount. It is still a bargain.

I did a low cost tour list a few years ago. Maybe if the search feature works, it could be found??

There is plenty of great hiking, Juneau Mt. Roberts, Mendenhall Glacier are easy areas, but many many more throughout Alaska,. The Mendenhall shuttle bus is $14pp, but the Mendenhall TOUR buses are also a bargain with commentary and several stops for around $25. The Juneau city museum and Alaska State Museum are both worthwhile. http://www.traveljuneau.com

Skagway, the bargain here is the Park Service Visitor Center http://www.nps.gov/klgo/ get there in the morning to sign up for the walking tours, they now just about always fill up. Lower Dewey is a nice hiking trail. trailhead between 3-4th, crossing the track. Great area for biking, more - consider the 10 mile to Dyea. http://www.skagway.com

Ketchikan, Saxman Village from dock vendors about $30, Totem Bight via city bus $2. Alaska Discovery Center a few dollars, worthwhile, Totem Heritage Museum/hatchery, combo ticket if of interest.

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

All cities have walking tour maps, but get to your library and take out Frommer's Alaska and Fodor's Alaska both offer walking tour maps you can look at ahead.

See Alaska on $10 a day? No. But I have previously advocated the apparent minority view that you do not need to spend big bucks to experience the sights, sounds and smells of Alaska. Others on CC sure let me know they disagree. I would recommend skipping flight tours, helicopter landings on glaciers, whale watching, loggers show, dogsled rides, Mt Roberts tram and renting cars. OK, y'all. Let the games begin.

A former Southeastern Alaskan

You have posted that the high cost tours aren't worth it, which for some they are, including myself. No one has said you have to take them, and I've written many low cost recommendations for years. Each is best to decide what they wish to get out of their vacations.

(Edited) Each is best to decide what they wish to get out of their vacations.

Exactly. The question from the OP was how to experience Alaska as economically as possible. That is how I responded. If someone wants to spend the money - go for broke. Take as many tours as time permits. However, IMO, those more expensive tours are not an absolute necessity to have a great experience in the Great Land.

P.S. Please excuse the editing of your message. I have not seen anyone on these boards as knowledgable as you on Alaska tourism and that includes most of us who lived and traveled throughout the state for years.

Over on another cruise line fan site, it was suggested to us (by a guide in Juneau) to rent a car (Rent a Wreck) in Juneau (about $52), in order to hit all the high spots that we wanted to see!

We plan on Mendenhall Glacier, the Alaska Brewery, and then back to town for the Mt. Roberts Tram and the Red Dog Saloon.

For the two of us, it is cheaper to rent a car and do this, unless someone actually knows of a shuttle that will do both the glacier, and the brewery, WITHOUT doing shrines, salmon bakes, cooking classes, or whale watching.

If we were in better shape, we'd probably rent bicycles! :p

Archived