General Immersion Thread (merged)

Would you cruise an immerson cruise?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise an immerson cruise?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - It depends how much I know about how the cruise will differ from regular cruises.

With a Polyanna Smile and a Positive Spin on anything negative, IMO, Americans are going to be the traveling minority, starting 2009.

Our $ value is ridiculous on most exchange markets; family petrol budgets have to increase to keep pace with personal requirements; as well, budgets to support personal goods and service needs. Those increased budgets will be funded with money, previously destined for Travel.

I won't even begin to discuss what the flying public is being surcharged for everything from A to Z.......

And....who didn't know:......worse Hurricane Season .... starts June 1st:rolleyes:

At least we still have our Cruise Critic and thank you very much, it's FREE:D

Personally, I think British would be the one kind of "immersion" I could get along OK with. Basically, they're just Canadians with a funnier accent but the same bacon. :)

lol...I am Canadian and would do a British immersion cruise because I can't envision in being so different that it would keep me from sailing if I had a specific date in mind.

"funnier" accent eh? We don't have accents eh! lol...and everyone says "eh"...dunno why ppl latch onto it so!

To all our english counterparts...I love your accents....if you could only hear them you would love them as well :)

Thanks for explaining clotted cream....the name doesn't sound good, but I wished I had tried it.

take it from me, if you like dairy cream you'd love clotted cream. the name doesn't do it justice. like say mud pie.

British Cruisers who want to cruise from Southampton and experience a "British ship/ambience" can already do so on P&O and Cunard as another poster pointed out..

I think you just answered your own question.... RCL wants to get some of this business from THEM. :D

To me, an immersion cruise would be a huge plus! If itinerary, ship, and price was equal to a non-immersion cruise, I'd definitely pick the immersion one.

I love land vacations because you get to really experience the culture of a new place. To be able to visit many places easily (the highlight of cruising for me) AND to be able to be immersed in the culture (the highlight of a land vacation for me) would be the best of both worlds.

I would be more worried about the permissive smoking situation on Euro cruises, than the food or 'immersion' ..... I just got back from Navigator b2b cruises and they allowed smoking in 10 of the bars and lounges, (virtually all of them), which was miserable - the whole Promenade reeked of tobacco- and denied me the chance to enjoy any of them. I would have liked to go to the Pub on the Promenade and listen to the guitar player..... or to Boleros bar to listen to Cuban music....... or to watch Karaoke at night- all of these venues allowed smoking. I would never sail again on Navigator or any RCCL ship that allows this.:mad:

I guess I have a different take on the "immersion" cruises.

We've been on the Monarch when there are some very huge groups of Japanese and Chinese and the ship actually had some wonderful dishes in the Windjammer that weren't "normal fare", but rather geared toward the clientele for the ship. We were thrilled since it gave us something different and not the same ole' menu. Merchandise was also different in the shops. It was a delightful surprise.

RCCL is trying to establish themselves as a worldwide cruise line, and in order to do that, they need to position themselves with more than "English" speaking crew/activities. Maybe I'm more tolerant than others, but I would actually enjoy the "immersion" cruises. Sometimes it is good to get a different perspective.

To me, an immersion cruise would be a huge plus! If itinerary, ship, and price was equal to a non-immersion cruise, I'd definitely pick the immersion one.

I love land vacations because you get to really experience the culture of a new place. To be able to visit many places easily (the highlight of cruising for me) AND to be able to be immersed in the culture (the highlight of a land vacation for me) would be the best of both worlds.

How would you deal with no entertainment in a language you know though? There are other things to do onboard but another thread mentioned that even some excursions were cancelled because there weren't enough english speaking people signed up for them.

Ahhhh!!

We are booked for the June 2009-12 day British Isles sailing on the Jewel.

Will this be affected? I am positive my DH and 2 daughters will want to change cruise lines if this is the case. please tell me this is not so!!!

Trish

[quote name='kingsgirl']lol...I am Canadian and would do a British immersion cruise because I can't envision in being so different that it would keep me from sailing if I had a specific date in mind.

"funnier" accent eh? We don't have accents eh! lol...and everyone says "eh"...dunno why ppl latch onto it so!

To all our english counterparts...I love your accents....if you could only hear them you would love them as well :)[/quote]One time I was boarding an airplane and the pilot was greeting people. The lady in front of me held up her ticket and said, "18A". He replied, "Oh, the Canadian seat".

[quote name='skandls']I
The primary language is OK as long as there are announcements in English as well as the immersion language.[/quote]

What do you say to excursions not guaranteed in English???
And being canceled because not enough English speaking passengers signed up???? The excursions will all be in the primary language, be it Spanish or Chinese....hmmm not looking forward to a tour in Chinese...are you????

[quote name='kingsgirl']lol...I am Canadian and would do a British immersion cruise because I can't envision in being so different that it would keep me from sailing if I had a specific date in mind.

To all our english counterparts...I love your accents....if you could only hear them you would love them as well :)[/quote]

This isn't an accent, this is ENGLISH, it's you Canadians and Americans that have the accent:cool: ;) :D

Unfortunately we are not going to be on this cruise. British food is so under rated. It's so versatile, tasty and so different. The best breakfast in the world is an English breakfast, love those black puddings.
Do you really think that Sorrento's will be closed down? The specialty restaurants will be closed, along with Johnny Rockets? Do you really think RCI will lose all that revenue? My big concern with this whole thing is that RCI Customer Service apparently has no clue as to what an immersion cruise really entails. Another lack of planning and foresight on RCI's part.
We just got off Splenndour of the Seas, Santos, Brazil to Lisbon, Portugal. It was about as close to an immersion cruise as you could get. The menus were changed from the previous cruise (which we also sailed on), they were oriented to Brazilian tastes. On the cruise there was an overwhelming majority of Brazilian/Portuguese passengers. Many of the shows were Portuguese language. However, there was always pizza, spaghetti and several other "American" items available in the windjammer. Lots of bacon, scrambled eggs, bagels etc at breakfast and always the trusty alternatives available on the side menu at dinner.
If they have ribs and cabbage on the menu, try it, you might even like it.
[QUOTE]but larger number of male passengers who wore Speedos. Yikes!![/QUOTE]
You should have seen those overweight Brazilian ladies in their thongs on our cruise.:eek:
Also look at the cultural side. You might get to learn something about real football.. Go Man United.:D

I have followed this with interest, and think it's great the RCCL is letting people know ahead of time. But it stinks they are doing it this season, when so many people have booked and now are faced with a vacation product they did not bargain for. I suspect they are doing this because North American bookings on these sailings have been weak, likely because the economy stinks, but also because our currency is nearly worthless.

If you look back to 2001-02, cruise lines cancelled European deployments in droves. North Americans weren't traveling due to fears of terrorism and because the economy was down the tubes.

Now there are more ships deployed. I am guessing, in a global economy, RCCL figured they will make more money if they fill the ship with Europeans with their very strong and desireable Pounds Sterling or Euros. To a European, 4 pounds might be what they are used to paying for a pint. For an American, that's almost $8! We are not going to pay that.

I do think it's a shame RCCL is pulling a bait and switch on loyal customers. Yes their contract says they can change the itinerary. However, changing the entire product (except for the physical ship) is another matter entirely. However, those of us who don't like it, can let them know with our wallets. I have a Med. Cruise booked in 2009, and am carefully watching this development, while I don't have airfare booked.

[quote name='kingsgirl']I think something we haven't considered is that America isn't the only country on these saillings. Imagine people from these other countries. It is possible they are desiring a vacation in their own language like we do, and customs that are per their own culture and lifestyle.

It is ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL isn't it?

Are ALL of the sailings on the above mentioned ships immersion sailings or just select sailings on those ships?[/quote]

First...they can cruise on there own national cruise lines....
Second...I was informed that ALL sailings on the ships originating/sailing from/in a specific area ( such as Asia/South America/etc) will be immersion cruises...The Legend for example will do all its Asian cruises as immersion cruises...

If I wanted immersion I would do land travel or cruise on an Asian cruise line...

So very disppointed....

[quote name='nixnutz']LOL...Blue half did well under Sven. Swept the derbys this year. I thought he did well with the lot he had.

Best of luck next season!

Rahn[/quote]

OT I know but just interested.. Why United ??

Also, I am a HUGE Mets fan (probably one of only a handful in the UK) and we get 2 games a week over here on TV. Who is your baseball team..? (I picked the Mets years ago cos they kind of remind me of CIty - They have more succesful cross town neighbours, less international recognition but MORE local fans etc etc)

Paul

[quote name='kingsgirl']How would you deal with no entertainment in a language you know though? There are other things to do onboard but another thread mentioned that even some excursions were cancelled because there weren't enough english speaking people signed up for them.[/quote]

My vacation style seems to be different than yours - not that either way is right or wrong, just different. I realize many people vacation to relax, de-stress, and enjoy days where your only activities are lounging by the pool and enjoying a cocktail. I'm a little different - I travel to experience new cultures and try new things, and would rather save relaxing for when I'm at home and don't have the option to get lost in different cultures. I've eaten some weird foods, tried some strange local customs, and seen things that are so different from what I'm used to that I always have a great time. No, I don't like it all, but I wouldn't give up those experiences for anything. Besides, how do you know if you'll like it until you try it?

The reason I choose a cruise (or any other vacation) is for its itinerary. I make days busy enough that when I return to the ship/hotel I just want to eat dinner and go to bed. Any ship, immersion or otherwise, would offer plenty to keep me occupied on sea days, especially since I prefer port-intensive itineraries.

I don't think it would be any different than a land-vacation, where you attend an opera in a different language or visit a museum where the displays are in a different language. I've done both and loved both. Not to mention you can still enjoy some shows (like dancing or music, maybe not a comedy show...) even if it's not in your native language.

I like to step out of my comfort zone. That's my travel style and certainly not everyone's. I don't think it's fair for Royal Caribbean to change this after people have already booked and made travel arrangements, but I do think it's a nice option, assuming the passengers are told when they book in order to make an informed decision. It would be a good way to attract passengers like me to a specific sailing or to attract locals to a ship where they feel more comfortable since it is more of their own culture.

[quote name='Mark_K']Personally, I think British would be the one kind of "immersion" I could get along OK with. Basically, they're just Canadians with a funnier accent but the same bacon. :)[/QUOTE]

Funny accent.........!!??? Its English...............it's our language, this is how it's supposed to be spoken!!??:)

[quote name='Mark_K']Personally, I think British would be the one kind of "immersion" I could get along OK with. Basically, they're just Canadians with a funnier accent but the same bacon. :)[/quote]

Na. I'm Canadian with lots of British friends and I still don't "get" their humour. :p

2P.P1

[quote name='jbond'] My big concern with this whole thing is that RCI Customer Service apparently has no clue as to what an immersion cruise really entails. Another lack of planning and foresight on RCI's part.[/quote]

This is it, exactly. As I've said before, I wouldn't have a problem with this type of immersion cruise. But now I'm trying to imagine the calls made to people with active bookings and I think they went something like this:

RCCL: Hi! You know that cruise you booked more than a year ago and have been planning ever since. It's now an immersion cruise. SURPRISE!
Passenger: Oh, okay. What do you mean by "immersion cruise"?
RCCL: It means onboard activities and services will be geared toward the region and culture that the largest group of travelers are from.
Passenger: But what specific changes? What do you mean?
RCCL: We... um... don't know. But it'll be different!

This seems to be the latest demonstration that RCCL really doesn't understand how to communicate information to their customers. Time and time again (lobstergate, fuel surcharge drama, etc.) the company spits out these incomplete nuggets of information and allow rumors and speculation to run rampant and people come to their own conclusions -- none of them good.

RCCL needs to start providing clear, complete and [U][I][B]consistent[/B][/I][/U] information to passengers. Vacations shouldn't fill people with stress and uncertainty.

Archived