Fees for luggage--BREAKING NEWS!

CeleBrat

All--

Recently there was a lengthy thread on this board discussing whether strollers and carseats qualify as luggage and whether or not an airline will charge for them.

Today, American just SHOCKED the flying population by announcing that they will charge $15 for the "first" piece of luggage each person checks, and $25 for all others.

That's INSANE!!! You can no longer put any luggage on an American flight, stroller or anywise, without paying for it.

Here's the link to the news story on msnbc:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24756513/

CeleBrat

All--

Recently there was a lengthy thread on this board discussing whether strollers and carseats qualify as luggage and whether or not an airline will charge for them.

Today, American just SHOCKED the flying population by announcing that they will charge $15 for the "first" piece of luggage each person checks, and $25 for all others.

That's INSANE!!! You can no longer put any luggage on an American flight, stroller or anywise, without paying for it.

Here's the link to the news story on msnbc:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24756513/

CeleBrat

I hardly feel shocked by this. Please go to the primary source, AA, before you post incorrect information.

Direct from AA.com:

When traveling with a child, checked car seats and strollers will continue to be free.

And as always, there are many exclusions to this policy:

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPromotionsDetail.jhtml?anchorLocation=index.jhtml&repositoryId=16075429&repositoryName=PromotionContentRepository&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent

If you don't like it, don't fly AA, or fly enough so you have status, so you will not be charged all these fees.

AA has a hub out of DFW, where we live. It used to be the least expensive, most convenient option for us.

Just last week I realized that AA no longer offers direct, non stop service to Oakland International in California (where my family lives)

Now they have a $15 first bag fee.

We will no longer be choosing to fly American Airlines. We will now patronize another carrier

Amazing when the airlines are all hurting that AA would charge for the FIRST bag. :eek: I am fine with the 2nd bag charge. With a fam of 4, we can take 4 pieces of luggage :D so we're fine..

But for the first bag? Odd

Good thing we have so many choices around here.

Hey guys--just checked the AA site, and they haven't updated it yet to reflect the new policy. They are still stating the first bag is free, but all the major new sites (including msnbc.com, where I first got the link) is quoting the new policy. So, we'll have to wait and see what the outcome of the stroller debate is.

It will also be interesting to see what other airlines do. If it is anything like the recent cruise fuel surcharges, then eventually they will all be charging the "normal" air passengers for baggage.

EEEK!

CeleBrat

Today, some other carriers said they weren't going to follow suit. Give it a couple of weeks - I'll bet they all start charging for the first piece of luggage on domestic flights.

Note - if you are a higher level frequent flier there will be no additional charges.

From AA's website:

AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members

oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members

Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)

AAnytime® Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets

C'est la vie!

Hey guys--just checked the AA site, and they haven't updated it yet to reflect the new policy. They are still stating the first bag is free, but all the major new sites (including msnbc.com, where I first got the link) is quoting the new policy. So, we'll have to wait and see what the outcome of the stroller debate is.

It will also be interesting to see what other airlines do. If it is anything like the recent cruise fuel surcharges, then eventually they will all be charging the "normal" air passengers for baggage.

EEEK!

CeleBrat

If you go to the AA.com home page and check under "news" - its right there including a Q&A.

Maybe your page needs to be reloaded?

I know - STINKS!!!! Next they will be charging us to go through security.

They already do here in Canada (NavCanada fees, which is our Air Traffic Control, and Security Fees are added onto tickets automatically.) Many airports also charge "improvement" fees which depending on where you are could also go towards security.

As for $15 for the 1st bag... ugh! Just means more people will drag those annoying smaller wheeled bags onto the plane and increase time to board even more.

EEEK!

CeleBrat

I gave you the link to the new policy in post #5. What stroller debate? AA says no charge still for strollers or car seats.

They say outright that strollers, car seats and wheelchairs will still be free.

If you've already booked, you're okay.

For the first checked bag, customers who buy a ticket before June 15, 2008, or who fly before June 15, 2008

They're exempting international too.

Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada

So here's my advice to future cruisers, especially going to the Caribbean. You might end up saving the baggage money by simply picking a cruise that departs out of a non-U.S. port. I'll admit, when it comes picking which cruise, this is not a deal-breaker but you might want to keep it in mind!

For those of us who usually fly other companies, be aware. Especially between American and United. One does something, the other follows suit...

I know - STINKS!!!! Next they will be charging us to go through security.

We already are paying for security. It is included in the "taxes and fees" section of your ticket. Since they implemented increased security after 9/11, passengers are charged $2.50 per segment of flight per ticket, not to exceed $5 one way. You are paying up to $10 for each round trip ticket to insure our safety in the skies.

If you buy any tickets BEFORE June 15th, you won't pay the fee, even if they are for next year. This policy (like the $25 for the 2nd bag) is being grandfathered in. Fortunately we bought our last tickets on American for this July and next March (to Miami) before this nonsense took place. After next March's cruise, we'll be seriously reconsidering our yearly cruise. At least for awhile.

It doesn't make much a difference to me. If they didn't charge the $15 for the first bag, they would just bury the increase in another surcharge. The price of the ticket goes up either way.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but according to Cruise Critic's sister site, Independent Traveler, the baggage fee is each way making the $15 fee really $30 and $25 fee really $50 :( if you're doing a round trip which most people are. They have an interesting news article that explains all of the airline's extra fees and it's a real eye opener.

We usually cruise with Carnival, Princess, or any other line that offers washers and dryers on each deck. I pack half the clothes and do a wash midweek (we usually do 7 day cruises). I put the clothes in the washer first thing in the morning when I wake up. After showereing and getting ready I then throw them into the dryer on the way to breakfast. Then I take them out of the dryer after breakfast when I go back to the cabin to change into a swimsuit or use the bathroom, etc. It's much quicker and easier than you think and cuts way down on packing. Plus I don't have as many clothes and suitcases to stuff into one of those tiny cabins.;)

Airline's are not only penalizing us for the amount of bags we bring, just about all of them impose hefty fees if the bag weighs more than 50 lbs.:( That's why I always wear my heaviest stuff like boots, sneakers, blue jeans, and jackets to the airport. It will also create more space in your luggage because those items also take up a lot of room. And since women are allowed one carry on plus a purse, I claim a large beach bag as my purse so I have extra space to put stuff that didn't fit into my luggage. My husband sometimes uses his laptop case (without the laptop) to put extras into if he's tight on room since airline employees don't say anything about a laptop case under your arm. We have both also used extra large fanny packs when necessary on very long trips as airline employees never say anything about them either. There are many ways to create extra space, you just have to think it out.:)

Okay but what if....

What if you get on the plane and all you have is a carry-on BUT all the overhead bins are full so now you have to check your bag....then what?

You just gate check your luggage......HMM.. maybe be a good idea.

Walk to the gate knowing you will have to gate check...maybe a way around the fee?

I'm sure they'll figure out some way to charge us.....

United has just announced an increase of Round Trip ticket prices of $60 per person.

More than the AA baggage fees!

But United said it is 'considering' the $15 first checked bag fee as well.

It is all well and good to say you won't fly this or that airline, but they are all going to raise prices and fees. What are you going to do? Walk?

The real question is whether other airlines will follow. Airline companies are notorious for signaling their pricing intentions through "trail balloon" pricing schemes. An airline, in this case American, will float a price increase, new surcharge, etc. and wait to see how other airlines react. If no other airlines quickly follow, then the proposing airline will pull back, and wait for a while. What ends up happening in many cases is another airline will make the same proposal at a latter date and see if any follow it then. Eventually, if enough follow, it will be come an industry standard.

I suspect if we don't see any other carriers quickly follow in the next few days, American will pull it back. It has received a great deal of negative press about nickel and diming its customers, and may look for another way to boost revenue.

Unfortunately that's what it is coming to these days. Airlines need some way to recoup their extra costs for fuel - I don't know why they don't just raise fares by $15, people probably wouldn't notice or say a word about it. And this is what you get when you the consumer demand the absolute lowest airfares possible. What I get a kick out of is how Americans will fly on some other country's airline, and gladly pay more $$$ for the "extras" that they complain about having to pay for on domestic airlines.

Archived