Heathrow connection T3 to T5

DougYWG

I have checked the BAA Heathrow website but it's not clear to me how this works. I arrive at T3 on an international flight, clear immigration, collect baggage, clear customs. How do I get to T5 for check-in for a domestic flight? (Yes, yes, I know, the short answer is take bmi. I might.) I have two separate tickets back-to-back so baggage will not be checked through and I will not have a boarding pass for the domestic flight. Globaliser?

I arrive at T3 on an international flight, clear immigration, collect baggage, clear customs. How do I get to T5 for check-in for a domestic flight? (Yes, yes, I know, the short answer is take bmi. I might.) I have two separate tickets back-to-back so baggage will not be checked through and I will not have a boarding pass for the domestic flight.
Which airlines are involved? It is sometimes possible to get airlines to through-check bags even if you are on two tickets. Sometimes you may just have to ask when you check-in for your first flight, so you'd need to know both of your possible alternative routes.

If you have to collect your bags because they're not through-checked, the process is this: Clear immigration, collect your bags, clear Customs. Follow the signs for trains, and go to the Heathrow Express station. Take the Heathrow Express to Terminal 5. This should run once every 15 minutes. The transfer is free - you do not need to stop to buy a ticket.

If your bags are through-checked, you can transfer airside even if you do not have a boarding pass for your BA domestic flight. If you're arriving at T3 on AA, it's possible that AA can print you your boarding pass for the domestic when you check-in for the first flight. But if you're on AC, then that's very unlikely. However, you could always check-in online for your BA domestic and print out your boarding pass then, though it's not a real problem if you don't.

When you arrive at T3, just follow the signs for Flight Connections Terminal 5 (probably in purple now). You will get taken by bus across the airfield. When you arrive at T5, you may have to stop at the transfer desk in the connections area if you need to get your boarding pass. Then you will be cleared through passport control, have your photo taken (to identify you as now "inside" the UK), and then go upstairs through security into the main departures area (with shops and restaurants).

It would have been pretty much the same if you were on bmi, as you'd still have to transfer terminals to T1 - only you'd have been in for a longer walk and no train trip.

Huge. Very nice. Spacious and light, not like T2 with its low ceilings. Pretty well signposted. And since you are a sensitive lad, I will refrain from mentioning the bloody baggage carts. BA staff were excellent. Obviously not busy, at least yet. Designed for many more passengers than it gets right now. It will be fine, I'm sure.

Archived