Galaria Shops on Star

laycj18

Does anyone have pics of the Galaria Shops on the Star, or any of her sister ships? DH seems to be obsessed with the "huge shopping malls" that he seen on the ships on tv....ie. the Royal Promenades on some of the RCCL ships. It's all he seems to talk about and since the Fortuna had a huge lack of shopping on board he is looking forward to seeing a "mall" on our next ship...the Star.

Thanks for any pics or info!

Don't have pics, sorry.

The galleria on the Star is not really mall-like. Think of it as one big gift shop. A lot fo ships break up the shopping venues into separate places: a t-shirt store, a jewelry store, logo store etc. The Star has most eveything in the one place. The exception is there is a small separate store for perfume/cosmetics.

Does anyone have pics of the Galaria Shops on the Star, or any of her sister ships? DH seems to be obsessed with the "huge shopping malls" that he seen on the ships on tv....ie. the Royal Promenades on some of the RCCL ships. It's all he seems to talk about and since the Fortuna had a huge lack of shopping on board he is looking forward to seeing a "mall" on our next ship...the Star.

If he is looking for that "mall" atmosphere, he will be disappointed in the NCL Star. I think the store is sufficient, but nothing to write home about. The ship itself is GREAT... and other than not having a mall you guys should have a great time.

We were on the Star three weeks ago...didn't notice any big sales the last few days on anything except Alaska t-shirts. They did have big clearance sales on their Mexican Riviera stuff, but I think that was because we were the first week-long cruise after their time in Mexico.

Others have already told you that it's one big gift shop...and I'd estimate it to be maybe 4,000 square feet. (I could be waaaay off on that--previous cruisers help me out!)

I was pleasantly surprised that some of the souvenirs were priced decently--I expected that most of them would be a rip off.

Sorry,no mall. Just a large combination gift shop, liquor store, clothes, jewelry, etc.

Is it true taht on the last few days the shops on the cruises do a "sale" of things? would you recommend buying on the last day?

Our experience has been that towards the end of the cruise they will have sales. But not like a store wide sale, etc. It will just be on some stuff they basically are needing to get rid of. One thing they did last November towards the end of the cruise was they did have a watch sale out by the front desk area, near the coffee shop/cafe. Really nice watches I thought for a very good price. No Rolex, mind you.. LOL.. but some nice every day stuff.

My suggestion... unless they have a TON of what ever it is you want to buy.. buy it while you can before someone beats you to it and they don't have it any more.

The Star's Gallaria is the same as the Dawn's--no better, no worse.

Do NOT buy anything expensive on-board, especially jewelery. You WILL have to pay duty at the port--NCL REPORTS all large purchases to Customs. Instead, buy in Alaska, because all the Caribbean jewelery shops are there--AND THERE'S NO DUTY ON STUFF BOUGHT IN ALASKA! (because, of course, it's the USA!).

Remember: NCL (and probably the other ships) have to report large purchases on board to US Customs.

We sailed on the Star a few weeks ago...there is a big gift shop..has a liquor section and tee shirts, just the regular stuff. The shop is no big deal at all...we didnt purchase a thing.

There is no comparison to the Royal Promenade..totally different experience. The Royal Promenade on the Mariner of the Seas is like walking down the street in a quant European city, with little shops, cafe, wine bar, etc. The store on the Star is just that...a big gift shop...nothing special. Sorry to disappoint.

We sailed on the Star a few weeks ago...there is a big gift shop..has a liquor section and tee shirts, just the regular stuff. The shop is no big deal at all...we didnt purchase a thing.

There is no comparison to the Royal Promenade..totally different experience. The Royal Promenade on the Mariner of the Seas is like walking down the street in a quant European city, with little shops, cafe, wine bar, etc. The store on the Star is just that...a big gift shop...nothing special. Sorry to disappoint.

If you go on a ship to shop and are disappointed, I'm afraid I don't have very much sympathy for you. As far as I'm concerned they could do away with the expensive TagHeuer watches and get more brands of toothpaste, shaving cream--and hand sanitizer. (if you get my drift). I mean, who is going to buy those dumb musical clocks? I like the idea that if your luggage is lost, you can buy a dress or a dinner jacket, even a formal shirt (I actually bought a dinner jacket on the QE2, and still use it). Of course, bathing suits, sunglasses, cameras etc--travel and beach stuff.

But I like it to be sensible. NCL's shops aren't the best afloat....but who cares?

If you go on a ship to shop and are disappointed, I'm afraid I don't have very much sympathy for you. As far as I'm concerned they could do away with the expensive TagHeuer watches and get more brands of toothpaste, shaving cream--and hand sanitizer. (if you get my drift). I mean, who is going to buy those dumb musical clocks? I like the idea that if your luggage is lost, you can buy a dress or a dinner jacket, even a formal shirt (I actually bought a dinner jacket on the QE2, and still use it). Of course, bathing suits, sunglasses, cameras etc--travel and beach stuff.

But I like it to be sensible. NCL's shops aren't the best afloat....but who cares?

NoPriates.. when we read what you wrote about the clocks.. well.. I LOST IT.. LOL.. When I saw those clocks in the shop on the Star I was like.. ""What are they doing here".. They seemed so out of place to me.

Agree! I never did get all the folks in a frenzy buying "stuff" on a ship...or even in some of the ports. :rolleyes: I saw a watch I loved in Nassau, but didn't buy it...and then DH bought it for me last Christmas and he got it on the internet for about $500 cheaper than the shop in the Bahamas.

I can see getting a t-shirt, some little trinket, or liquor if it's something you can't get in the U.S. (Sheridan's), but you really aren't getting any fantastic bargains on board. ;)

Agree! I never did get all the folks in a frenzy buying "stuff" on a ship...or even in some of the ports. :rolleyes: I saw a watch I loved in Nassau, but didn't buy it...and then DH bought it for me last Christmas and he got it on the internet for about $500 cheaper than the shop in the Bahamas.

I can see getting a t-shirt, some little trinket, or liquor if it's something you can't get in the U.S. (Sheridan's), but you really aren't getting any fantastic bargains on board. ;)

My DP has bought me a couple of rings while away on cruises. One of them we came back and found it for about the same price as what we paid. Difference was we didn't pay taxes on it here in Dallas like we would have in Cozumel. The biggest difference to me is I will always have the memory of him buying those for me in special places. That means something to some people.. to some people, where they can get it the cheapest is all that matters.. Just a matter of preferences, I guess. IMHO, one preference is not any better than the other.

My DP has bought me a couple of rings while away on cruises. One of them we came back and found it for about the same price as what we paid. Difference was we didn't pay taxes on it here in Dallas like we would have in Cozumel. The biggest difference to me is I will always have the memory of him buying those for me in special places. That means something to some people.. to some people, where they can get it the cheapest is all that matters.. Just a matter of preferences, I guess. IMHO, one preference is not any better than the other.

Absolutely! That's why I was saying if you get a trinket (or something better like you did..;) ), it's a nice memory of your trip. That's lovely.

The OP, stated her son was looking forward to a "shopping mall" type experience on the Star...just not gonna happen.....not on the Star anyway. ;)

I'll snap some when I'm on the Jade in November just for my fellow CNY'ers.:)

Absolutely! That's why I was saying if you get a trinket (or something better like you did..;) ), it's a nice memory of your trip. That's lovely.

The OP, stated her son was looking forward to a "shopping mall" type experience on the Star...just not gonna happen.....not on the Star anyway. ;)

No.. It sure isn't. We have been wanting to sail on a ship that has the "mall" type shopping just to see what the ship is like. I didn't even honestly know NCL had any like that.

Archived