Unlimited Internet Access?

mo64rn

How can I guarantee that I will be able to get the unlimited internet on the Mariner? DH needs it for work. How do I reserve it once on board. I understand they only give out a limited number?

We boarded early and went to the purser's desk as soon as we had eaten and it was no problem to get one. We actually wished if we had waited until later since we weren't allowed in our rooms yet and we had to carry everything around with us. It comes in a medium size rubbermaid container.

[quote name='mo64rn']DH needs it for work. [/QUOTE]

Good lord! Working on vacation! Now that's a person who really needs a vacation. One away from work that is.

I can't answer your question from a point of practicle experience but the post's I've read about this indicate that it's easy to hook up. Since I would assume that everyone that brought a computer onboard was bringing a laptop, I'm sure it's set up to connect to lap tops. Somehow I just don't see anyone bringing their desk top computer on the ship. ;)

His excuse is work but I know it is secretly so he can follow the baseball playoffs if they are blacked out on the ship. He thinks I don't know.

Also, I didnt mean to sound dumb about the lap top but I thought that perhaps instead of your own computer they gave you a lap top to use for the week. The first reply said "It comes in a medium sized rubbermaid container" so I could'nt imagine why a little notebook adapter would be in such a large container.

Does anyone know if it is a sattelite or high speed connection?

Up didn't sound dumb but I did get a good chuckel thinking about your DH lugging his desk top on the ship for work. ;)

I don't know about what's in the container. I had always assumed it would just be cable's. It probably is and they just keep them contained in a water proof, stackable container to make it easier on them.

Again, from previous posts it's a very slow connection if you're used to cable or DSL. The comments I've read concerning speed have me convinced that I can live without my E-mail for a week.

[quote name='mo64rn']His excuse is work but I know it is secretly so he can follow the baseball playoffs if they are blacked out on the ship. He thinks I don't know.

Also, I didnt mean to sound dumb about the lap top but I thought that perhaps instead of your own computer they gave you a lap top to use for the week. The first reply said "It comes in a medium sized rubbermaid container" so I could'nt imagine why a little notebook adapter would be in such a large container.

Does anyone know if it is a sattelite or high speed connection?[/QUOTE]

It is a satellite connection. Actually you "dial-in" to a central location on the ship and everyone shares the satellite connection. I usually see connections around 40-41k, but the actual speed seems slower.

Also, you get the rubbermaid container because on mariner you have to replace the phone in the room, so they give you a new phone, cables and instructions. Its easy to set up.

I had the internet connection on the Mariner last week. It is very easy to set up and the instructions are very easy to follow.

You need to make sure that you return it to the purser's desk by 6:00PM on Saturday or they bill you an additional charge (I think it was $200).

[quote name='guernseyguy']Do you need to load any software? I've got a dinky IBM TP w/o floppy or CD drive....How does it connect - phone jack or USB? I'd hate to drag the laptop along & find I couldn't get it working :-([/QUOTE]

If you have a modem you can connect.

I'm a little confused. It was stated to make sure you return it by 6pm Saturday or you will get an additonal charge. What is the "it"? LOgically I would think you have to return the Cybercabin kit sometime Friday evening or before you leave the ship for debarkation Sat. morning.

On a side note: My DH and I are both PC tech's and plan on getting the cybercabin for our cruise next Saturday. I will be posting live from the NOS and will post specific details about what is needed and what is exactly involved w/ the Cybercabin.

[quote name='ss-sunset']I'm a little confused. It was stated to make sure you return it by 6pm Saturday or you will get an additonal charge. What is the "it"? LOgically I would think you have to return the Cybercabin kit sometime Friday evening or before you leave the ship for debarkation Sat. morning.

On a side note: My DH and I are both PC tech's and plan on getting the cybercabin for our cruise next Saturday. I will be posting live from the NOS and will post specific details about what is needed and what is exactly involved w/ the Cybercabin.[/QUOTE]

Well the original response about turning these in referred to Mariner, which sails Sunday to Sunday which is why 6:00PM Saturday seems odd when comparing to NOS. Basically you need to return by 6:00PM on the last night of the cruise.

The full scoop is you get a special phone, cables and instructions. All you do is set up a standard dial up connection on your laptop. On Mariner, you just dialed "60". The only thing I would consider different is you need to make sure your modem is configured to dial with no dial tone. By default, many are set to "wait for dial tone before dialing". You'll have to turn that feature off or it won't work. Other than that, it is no different than connecting to any other ISP.

Okay not to sound dumb here as well but...

If I brought my own laptop, and paid up front for the unlimited access, I could just connect in room? Is there any limit on what OS you use? Kinda curious about this now!

What a great way to share some pictures with the family while we're away!

[quote name='Christina1003']Okay not to sound dumb here as well but...

If I brought my own laptop, and paid up front for the unlimited access, I could just connect in room? Is there any limit on what OS you use? Kinda curious about this now!

What a great way to share some pictures with the family while we're away![/QUOTE]
The access is unlimited, you can use it as much as you want 24/7.
But about sharing pics with home you have to take into consideration the speed.
Pics can be large in file size and the connection is somewhat around 45 - 46 kbps. So the upload of the pictures can take a loooooooooooooooong time. And the connection is not very stable all time. I wouldn´t trust on this. But of course you can try your luck.

[QUOTE]Since I would assume that everyone that brought a computer onboard was bringing a laptop, I'm sure it's set up to connect to lap tops. Somehow I just don't see anyone bringing their desk top computer on the ship. ;) [/QUOTE]
Would you believe I actually did see a fellow passenger bringing onto a cruiseship a whole desktop computer set up 2 years ago? Full cpu, full sized regular monitor, full keyboard!

[quote name='Christina1003']Okay not to sound dumb here as well but...

What a great way to share some pictures with the family while we're away![/QUOTE]

If you bring your laptop you can connect in your room. Some ships require you to get a hook up kit which included a new phone at the pursers desk, others don't. Supply of the special phones is limited so go early.

As for OS, it does not matter. If you can dial in to the internet from home you can dial in on the ship. You just need to configure whatever software you have for the dialing process.

Radiance class ships you need to get a special phone cord, and Voyager class ships you get a whole kit. You need a modem. You need windows based system - I believe windows 98 or better. You need to know how to set up a dial up connection. You have to return the kit the night before you disembark. Foir me it is worth it.

Archived