Looking at photos

katolb90

I purposely restricted myself as to the number of Alaska photos I look at before I leave on my cruise next week. This is my first Alaska cruise and want to leave something to my imagination. When I first started traveling I used to look at all the scenic photos I could of the place I was visiting, but then occasionally when I got there my expectations weren't met. Or I felt like I'd already been there or the feelings weren't quite as exciting as I thought they would be.

Do any of you feel that looking at too many photos before the Alaska vacation ruins the actual experience? Just curious.

We looked at thousands of photos before we went to New Zealand a few weeks ago. To some degree that's how we found the amazing places we did, which were often off the usual tourist route but we'd seen photos of the place so went looking.

Murray

I love looking at the pictures, trying to imagine myself there. I know that it will be much more grand & beautiful in person. And I also think that they can help you decide where you want to go. Someone had posted pictures of the train in Skagway with the ground covered in snow, It was Beautiful, BUT, I know that when I get there in late July, that snow will not be there, so the picture was nice to see.:)

I would have to say that I am glad that I didn't see many photos before our first Alaska cruise. I think that I had only read Frommer's and seen a few promotional pictures before we went. I normally do like to plan for a trip, but, speaking for myself, I am glad that I didn't know exactly what to expect.

I love looking at photos. Like Murray, I find them extremely useful in planning a trip. Plus it builds my anticipation. When I get to to a place I've seen in photos I'm never disappointed because the three dimentional world always has it's surprises. More importantly, I feel the bracing quality of the air, I hear the scree of eagles, the spout of whales, the splash of salmon. Alaska is so grand, so amazing, you will come home thinking that no photos do it justice.

I agree that the pictures are a great part of the anticipation. The scenery is so much more beautiful when you see it in person. I am going on my third cruise to Alaska in July and I am already looking at more pictures to help with the visual excitement of my trip.

Do any of you feel that looking at too many photos before the Alaska vacation ruins the actual experience? Just curious.

Nope.... I consider it all part of the research I like to do before any trip. While many photos are great to view nothing beats the experience of being there along with the input from the other senses. Its one thing to see vids of glaciers calving but another to actually SEE/FEEL/HEAR it.

There is another thread about being a 'slave to the camera' . For just those reasons above I never find that taking pictures lessons my experience in a place. In fact because photography is a hobby I've found that I'm more aware of the lighting, colors, shadows and surroundings than before I got hooked (on yet another hobby). Sharing those sights is also one of the reasons I carry a GPS to GeoTag the photos I take in case anybody ever wants to go to where the photo was taken!

Cheers

Chris in VA

Pictures of Alaska taken from a small plane were what convinced me to overcome my fear of small planes and take a floatplane trip. I am so glad that I saw those pictures because the trip was fantastic and I never would have gone without seeing them. However, pictures of AK can never show the vastness and majesty of the place. Seeing pictures won't spoil the real thing for you but they can sure build up your excitement about what you might see.

I purposely restricted myself as to the number of Alaska photos I look at before I leave on my cruise next week. This is my first Alaska cruise and want to leave something to my imagination. When I first started traveling I used to look at all the scenic photos I could of the place I was visiting, but then occasionally when I got there my expectations weren't met. Or I felt like I'd already been there or the feelings weren't quite as exciting as I thought they would be.

You know when I started researching our Alaskan cruise I looked at photos of everything..YOU name it I found a picture of it including the inside of our cabin..My husband said You better stop your research ..If you dont youll know exactly how everything will look and you will be disappointed...WELL he was dead wrong..Photos never ever do Alaska proper justice..They pale in comparison to the real thing..Besides landscapes change as does the weather..Nothing not even our cabin looked the same as the photos I saw..SO if you want to look go ahead..You will not be disappointed with seeing it all again with your own eyes..:)

Photos never ever do Alaska proper justice..They pale in comparison to the real thing

I agree very few photos do the real thing justice whether plant, animal, fish, bird or landscape. I personally like to see what I should be looking for and where. Then again surprises are cool also. Whatever floats your Cruise Ship I guess.

I definitely look at photos before a trip! It's not the same as seeing the site for yourself. All the senses are part of the experience as Meadmkr stated. Seeing the photos some times helps make a decision as to whether I'll take the time to see the attraction or the site. For me, I have to view the photos if possible.

Reading all the posts about looking at pictures, and BTW, I do, but what struck me what the total realization that a few short years ago, lets say a little over 10, maybe 15, most of us did not have a computer, and webshots and google, and sites for everything you can imagine, and some you would rather not, simply did not exist. I love the internet. I often think about how much my dad would have loved it, but he passed just before it all began. I simply can not get my fill of pictures of everything everybody talks about, whether i am going to do it or not, and gathering all kinds of information. Look up glaciers, and whales, for example. Just learn a little bit about these things from a textbook standpoint. Hey, we might as well. School is long over for most of us, but learning should never be over. Keeps the brain young!!

Jayne

Thanks for asking this question. We are leaving in just a couple weeks, and I honestly believe I have reached my "saturation point." I almost feel as if I have already been there! I was getting worried that I might get disappointed, but I am glad to read here that Alaska is so vast, even a photo cannot capture it!

Another thing that helps me is that my husband hasn't done 1/100th as much research as I have. I have so much anticipation for him to see some things that I am expecting, and he is going to be so surprised! That will be a great treat for me!

You know what will also be amazing? Seeing some wildlife in person. I have seen some amazing photos of breeching whales, or a moose with a lense I will never be able to afford. But I know those pics won't even hold a candle to the view that I will have of wildlife (whatever it may be; don't flame me b/c I know I might not see either of those!)!!!

I watched hours of programs on tv (Discovery Channel and Travel Channel) on Alaska, looked at tons of pictures others have posted and when I got there, it was like I had never seen any of them. Its just so amazing. I would never grow tired of the scenery. And now, looking back at our photos, they are great, but its just not the same. There is definitely more to it than vision. You need hearing, smell, touch to get the full effect. And I agree with the previous poster - seeing it in different weather can really change things too.

Looking at pics of the scenery, the glaciers, the water, buildings, etc etc, is amazing, and I take it all in, but in real time all of that is still stationary, so the pics are too, but, and here is the biggie, the one no pic will ever be able to show completely is the breaching of a whale because of the size, and the sounds. That is the one that I know I will truly be suprised, and awed. Maybe also calving. The sounds....wonder if I can find a website with the sounds....hmmmmm

I look at photos to help plan my trip.

I also look at them and think, Wow some of the CC members are so talented. Don't want to name names as I might leave someone out. I guess I feel proud to be part of the group! Even though I am not that talented.

I also tell anyone who ask about Alaska, go to cruisecritic.com/Alaska boards before you chose a trip/ship! Then buy the travel book.:D

Ok Dave, where are the pics (I know you got some great shots) posted?

diverearl, I did post some pictures, but nothing to brag about. :o

sawyer.jpg

Sawyer Glaciers

yukon.jpg

Drive to Emerald Lake

train.jpg

Historic Train ride from Skagway

whale.jpg

Whales playing next to the cruiseship ( we saw several dozen of whales from ship after getting out of Tracy's Arm)

diverearl, I did post some pictures, but nothing to brag about. :o

Didn't you have a web sight that shared pics?

whale.jpg

Whales playing next to the cruiseship ( we saw several dozen of whales from ship after getting out of Tracy's Arm)

Interesting our favorite sighting of a whale was from the Ship also (while in the College Fjord area with very few people on deck because it was very overcast and cold). We spent a lot of time on the area above the Bridge (freezing at times but well worth the effort) and saw the giant come up right in front of us, very close to be so far above the water, then sound with a great fluke shot that non of us got a picture of, only a perfect image (Memory) for the mind.

2120607720091393226zhAoNe_th.jpg

This Eagle flew in (while we were in Homer the first week) from a tall pole to land right beside me on the side of a dumpster that fish carcasses were thrown into to be recycled. Just inches away it had no fear of us at all. Another lucky spot to be that day.

Again, a great bunch of pics, Diverearl, I think....I get confused who posted what with all the quotes included....but anway, I enjoyed looking at them in a slide show in webshots. Just sit back and enjoy...sigh....I have to remind myself I still have over a year to wait. I am looking forward to seeing Eagles. They hold a special place in my heart. My late boyfriend thought they were good luck, and we would go to a state park near where we live in January to try to spot a few. And we have some that must live around my house because there is at least one pair that we can see soaring on sunny days. But, that is as close as I have ever seen one....soaring high above. To get some shots and actually see the color, see the individual feathers...well, those are the pictures that I will treasure. May even frame if they turn out good enough!! Oh to be sure...there will be various pictures from my Alaska trip hanging on my walls for everymore!!

Archived