Infants will no longer be allowed to sail on RCCI ships.

RC blacklists infants and will no longer be allowed to sail.

The new policy goes into effect in October 2008.

Infants must at least six months old in order to sail on shorter cruises, and longer cruises (the time period seems to be about two weeks) they must be a full 12 months old.

If a passenger shows up with an infant, they can not prove is the proper age, they will deny the infant and perhaps one parent boarding, and will not reimburse the ticket for either.

The new policy goes into effect in October 2008.

Infants must at least six months old in order to sail on shorter cruises, and longer cruises (the time period seems to be about two weeks) they must be a full 12 months old.

If a passenger shows up with an infant, they can not prove is the proper age, they will deny the infant and perhaps one parent boarding, and will not reimburse the ticket for either.

It's not a "blacklist". It is a change in policy. They do it all the time.... Most other cruise company's have done the same thing. Infants are too vulnerable to illness, norovirus, etc. Something that you might shrug off or feel ill about for a few days can be deadly to an infant.

Liability is simply to high.

I am just curious as how they will handle this recent change for passengers that were already booked and were within the old policy, but now are not.... Fortunately I have no clients under this scenario :D

Should be interesting to say the least how they handle this potential "lawsuit" I feel confident will arise, if not "grandfathering" those previously booked or handled gently.

It's not a "blacklist". It is a change in policy. They do it all the time.... Most other cruise company's have done the same thing. Infants are too vulnerable to illness' date=' norovirus, etc. Something that you might shrug off or feel ill about for a few days can be deadly to an infant.

Liability is simply to high.[/quote']

Nonsense. Infants are no more vulnerable than 80 year olds. This is just an over reaction to a few cases. Many more 80 year olds have to be airlifted or die than infants. that being said I don't think its a great idea to take a small infant on board but its ridiculous to say its liability or the chance they may get sick. if so no one over 70 without a clean bill of health would be allowed.

INFANT POLICY

Infants sailing on a cruise must be at least 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise/cruisetour. However, for Transatlantic, Transpacific, Hawaii, select South American cruises/cruisetours and other selected cruises/cruisetours, the infant (as of the first day of the cruise/cruisetour) must be at least 12 months old.

As of April 22, 2008, the list of cruises to which the 12 month minimum age requirement applies (in addition to all Transatlantic, Transpacific, and Hawaii cruises) is as follows:

Mariner of the Seas - January 4, 19, February 3, 2009;

Splendour of the Seas - March 30, 2009;

Legend of the Seas - October 23, 2009.

Legend of the Seas - November 4, 2009.

Any cruisetours associated with these cruises are also subject to the 12 month minimum age requirement.

Denial of boarding for infants who do not satisfy these minimum age requirements may also result in the denial of boarding for one or more guests sailing with that infant. No refunds or other compensation shall be due from the cruise line to anyone as a result of the denial of boarding to an underage infant or other accompanying guests.

Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to ask for proof of age. Royal Caribbean International's age policy for gambling and consumption of alcoholic beverages is as follows: Please note: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation.

I can't find an article of the couple's version but its on CC somewhere but basically they accused RCCL of throwing them off the ship in middle of night and it was a huge saga and they somehow managed to contact the media right away which was odd considering the child was sick but they seemed more concerned about not continueing their cruise then anything else and telling the media RCCL threw them off because the child was sick. Just way over the top and definitely a different version that what RCCL says what happened. They also blamed RCCL for abandoning them in a foreign port as they did not have passports so had to arrange and pay for emergency ones to be able to get a flight home and other expenses they had to pay because their child was ill and they wanted RCCL to pay for everything as they did not have cruise insurance. RCCL did the right thing to make them leave the ship to have the child examined by a pediatrician in a hospital as it was in the best interest of the child even though the couple was angry at leaving the cruise. The hospital diagnosed the child with a mild ailment but the doctor on RCCL felt that the child may need more medical expertise then they could give and he was right as why take the chance with a baby's health.

I am just curious as how they will handle this recent change for passengers that were already booked and were within the old policy, but now are not.... Fortunately I have no clients under this scenario :D

Should be interesting to say the least how they handle this potential "lawsuit" I feel confident will arise, if not "grandfathering" those previously booked or handled gently.

I do not think there will be a lawsuit as they have the right to change their policys at anytime and that's printed everywhere they can squeeze it in:D and I'm sure they had their lawyers review everything before they did change the policy. You are right, it will be interesting to see how they handle any prior bookings though.

INFANT POLICY

Infants sailing on a cruise must be at least 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise/cruisetour. However, for Transatlantic, Transpacific, Hawaii, select South American cruises/cruisetours and other selected cruises/cruisetours, the infant (as of the first day of the cruise/cruisetour) must be at least 12 months old.

As of April 22, 2008, the list of cruises to which the 12 month minimum age requirement applies (in addition to all Transatlantic, Transpacific, and Hawaii cruises) is as follows:

Mariner of the Seas - January 4, 19, February 3, 2009;

Splendour of the Seas - March 30, 2009;

Legend of the Seas - October 23, 2009.

Legend of the Seas - November 4, 2009.

Any cruisetours associated with these cruises are also subject to the 12 month minimum age requirement.

Denial of boarding for infants who do not satisfy these minimum age requirements may also result in the denial of boarding for one or more guests sailing with that infant. No refunds or other compensation shall be due from the cruise line to anyone as a result of the denial of boarding to an underage infant or other accompanying guests.

Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to ask for proof of age. Royal Caribbean International's age policy for gambling and consumption of alcoholic beverages is as follows: Please note: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation.

They changed the policy on the same date the incident happened posted below.

I think "Blacklisted" is a bit harsh!!

The policy was changed after this incident I believe and this was posted on CC at the time also. The medical staff onboard is not equipped/experienced to treat infants so looks like they just opted to change the age limit

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352991,00.html

I believe this was a coincidence - Carnival changed their age limits right before RCCL did. I think they both realized how dangerous cruising can be for very young babies.

###

What are they going to require as proof of age? A birth certificate could be any child's. Perhaps use the hospital photo as a picture I.D.?:p

Infants require a passport to board the same as any other passenger. International travel has always required passports for infants.

Infants require a passport to board the same as any other passenger. International travel has always required passports for infants.

Not accurate, children under 18 don't need a picture ID when traveling to places a passport isn't required yet by ship.

see for example...http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do#Dom

you can see from my signature what I think about getting passports but that shouldn't stop from giving accurate information

I think the way it goes is.................. It's their ship(s) and they can do anything they want. If it doesn't work for someone, they can take their business elsewhere.

I agree with the new policy but am also curious about how they'll handle prior bookings.

Blacklist, banning, deny, change in policy, whatever you call it - it's still the same

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?ak=49727720.blog&type=blog

Sandy, we also discussed it at the family board if you would like to see this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=773828

All cruiselines (except Disney) now start at 6 months (at least). I see you are sailing with Princess next, they had this policy in effect for longer than RCCL...so why the outrage now?

Princess Policy....

Children over six (6) months of age at the date of sailing will be accepted on the following itineraries: Alaska, Canada & New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, Transcanal and Australia & New Zealand (coastal cruise only). Only children over the age of one (1) year at the date of sailing will be accepted for the following itineraries: Africa, South America, South Pacific, Hawaii, Tahiti, world cruises including Asia, Antarctica, Indian subcontinent, Transatlantic and Transpacific cruises.

I think that the new policy absolutely makes sense....if you're on a transatlantic cruise and your in the middle of six days at sea, in the middle of the ocean and a there is a problem w/an infant, where to you airlift the baby to???? Saying RCI is blacklisting babies is just hilarious. C'mon.

Laura

I'm a parent that would of never considered traveling with any of my children on a cruise as I would of been in fear if something would of happened we wouldn't of had the best medical care on board. I think this is a wonderful idea on the part of any cruise line, my other thought has always been if passengers ended up in the water how would the parent keep the infant above water until rescued.

I do think though when a policy is changed that they need to grandfather anyone who has already booked and make it clear to all new bookings what their new policiy is.

I am a nurse in an ICU and we allow visitors of all ages ( everything nowadays is customer driven/ friendly). When we see visitors bringing in infants we politely discourage bringing in the infant ( infectious disease exposure etc). The visitors still bring in the infant, have even witnessed the changing of the infant on the patients bed ( with the patient in bed). I would never recommend bringing an infant into a hospital nor a cruise ship.. Its asking for trouble

What are they going to require as proof of age? A birth certificate could be any child's. Perhaps use the hospital photo as a picture I.D.?:p

It seems that by the time a child reaches 6 months old they will have a birth certificate. They would have to do like any other child....get a passport unless there is a reason passports aren't issued to infants.....which I don't know the specifics.

I just wanted to say I had to laugh when I read this. What a DOOM DOOM DOOM title, lol.

It's not like the babies are terrorists or something. Honestly, it would be difficult to sail with a child that young anyways. It's better to leave them with family and really enjoy the vacation.

A couple behind us on Cococay had to take turns going to the water to enjoy the day, I felt bad! I wanted to offer to watch their baby so they could both go out, but I'm just another stranger.

Archived