Western Med- How valuable is a balcony?

We have cruised a couple of times, and loved having a balcony to see everything better in Alaska, but were just fine with an Oceanview room in the Caribbean.

When going to the Western Med how important is the balcony? We are talking about a late June cruise in 2009.

Thanks as always to my fellow CCer's. I never fail to get good advice here.

This depends on you. For us, we have our morning coffee out there to start our day and then a drink or two as we get dressed for dinner. We try to get aft balconies and also find them very useful for taking photos as we leave ports. Then as we wind down at the end of the day we enjoy sitting out there and just letting the sounds of the water help us relax. On shorter port days and sea days, we enjoy reading out there or even taking a little nap. There are plenty of people who only use their cabins to sleep, shower and change clothes, if you are one of those then you probably won't find it very useful.

I just had a balcony on a Med cruise that concluded a week ago. It was nice, but too cool most of the time to be enjoyed by me. I am sure June will be warmer. For me personally, I would say a balcony is not worth the extra money. This was my first balcony experience, and despite everyone;s predictions, I am not "addicted" and will be happy to do outside and even inside sans balcony in the future.

Add DW and I to those that were disappointed with a balcony. Our last cruise the upgrade fairy visited and blessed us with a balcony. After all the fuss about them, I was really looking forward to it, and didn't tell DW, let it be a surprise.

To us, it was a great disappointment. Too small to do anything other than lean against the railing. Much louder too, those balcony doors slamming all over got quite annoying.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of complainers of things on a cruise. We did enjoy the larger picture window that comes with a balcony. Also, our cabin was on the Lido deck, which was outstandingly convieient.

Bottom line, I'd never pay extra for a balcony, ocean view suits us fine.

On our Baltic cruise we enjoyed early morning sail ins from the privacy of our balcony, sipping coffee while still in our PJ's & robes, which was really pleasant. We also enjoyed dinner out there twice in complete privacy with beautiful views sailing past us. The balcony represents our little slice of heaven and privacy and we do enjoy it morning, noon and night, in between our fun shore excursions and ship activities. I also appreciate that I never need to worry about finding an open chair! :o

Tamara

Next cruise (w/balcony!) E. Mediterranean, November 2008

On our Baltic cruise we enjoyed early morning sail ins from the privacy of our balcony, sipping coffee while still in our PJ's & robes, which was really pleasant. We also enjoyed dinner out there twice in complete privacy with beautiful views sailing past us. The balcony represents our little slice of heaven and privacy and we do enjoy it morning, noon and night, in between our fun shore excursions and ship activities. I also appreciate that I never need to worry about finding an open chair! :o

Tamara

Next cruise (w/balcony!) E. Mediterranean, November 2008

If there is not any great advantage to seeing things as we sail in I think we will just go with the Oceanview. We took the kids last time and they had an interior, and I don't think I could do that for 7 days, but we enjoyed the scenery in Alaska with seeing glaciers from the balcony.

I guess we will just save the $$$ on the European trip, and have to find another cruise to spend it on again in the future.

Thanks again,

RR

We wouldn't sail the Med. any other way. There is something magical, sitting out there, enjoying your morning coffee and breakfast... and we love watching them bring the ship into port. PLUS... the scenery is spectacular!

A room with a balcony, even if you dont go out there, the room seems larger cause the window is from floor to ceiling.You can relaxe in your bed or sofa and just look out with no windowsile to look over.

We wouldn't sail the Med. any other way. There is something magical, sitting out there, enjoying your morning coffee and breakfast... and we love watching them bring the ship into port. PLUS... the scenery is spectacular!

It really made a difference to us on our Med cruise as well ... in addition to the things you mention, spending time out there on sea days, and a having a glass of wine in the evening under the stars was very nice.

RR...we had a balcony in Alaska as well. If you enjoyed a balcony in Alaska, you'll love it in the Med. But if it means giving up a future trip, then yes, weigh the pros and cons.

Archived