DAWN REVIEW 5-17-08 very very long

Angelbysea

Angelbysea --- Thanks for such a detailed review. We are leaving the 8th on the Dawn and I would like to ask you some questions. Can you get a bus pass on the ship? Also, the no extra charge restaurants....the Venetian and the Aqua, I think, is one more dressier than the other or are they both casual. What are the no extra fee restaurants. This is our first NCL cruise and we plan to eat at one of the specialty restaurants on our anniversary but we really want to be free spirited and come and go with not set time schedule so we don't want to make any reservations. Thanks for your help. biebz

Angelbysea --- Thanks for such a detailed review. We are leaving the 8th on the Dawn and I would like to ask you some questions. Can you get a bus pass on the ship? Also, the no extra charge restaurants....the Venetian and the Aqua, I think, is one more dressier than the other or are they both casual. What are the no extra fee restaurants. This is our first NCL cruise and we plan to eat at one of the specialty restaurants on our anniversary but we really want to be free spirited and come and go with not set time schedule so we don't want to make any reservations. Thanks for your help. biebz

Hi, your quite welcome for the review, we truly loved going on the DAWN and would return to cruise on her in a heartbeat! We inquired about buying a 3 day bus/ferry pass on the ship and we were told we could not buy on board, but as soon as you dock in Kings Wharf, either right next to the ship or at the Ferry Station you will be able to buy your pass, the best bet is a 3 day bus/ferry pass for $28.00/per person, that will get you unlimited bus service and ferry service for your entire time you are docked in Bermuda, they will give you a schedule to follow, it's very very helpful. Let me tell you, you will love Freestyle dining, we did, the Venetian and the Aqua dining rooms are both casual, we found the Venetian to be a bit more elaborate so if we felt like dressing more resort casual we dined there, and if we felt a bit under dressed we dined in the Aqua, trust me, everyone is very casual and fits in comfortably dining anywhere. The one free restaurant we didn't get to eat in was Salsa and I'm really bummed about that because I know it has gotten many great reviews, next time! I know there was a NY Deli, I never found it and not sure if there was a charge. The Blue Lagoon was free and great for a quick lunch or late night snack, that was a favorite of ours! The Specialty restaurants we're worth the small pp fees, if you dined like that outside the ship it would be well over that tiny fee. We chose Cagneys and LeBistro for our Specialty dinners, we had the romance package which included LeBistro and a bottle of wine with dinner, very good... Whereever you dine you will find the service friendly and the waiters and waitresses are eager to please, we found the food in the no fee dining rooms to be scrumptious and tasty, and having a table for 2 wherever we went was great, we were celebrating our 18th wedding anniversary and liked just dining alone, although we did spark up conversations with some wonderful people, but it was natural and not because we had too, that's what I loved about Freestyle. I'm not sure what other no fee restaurants there were, maybe someone else here knows if there were. ENJOY your cruise, I hope you love it as much as we did! You are going when the weather should be pristine! Get ready for the bluest water you have ever seen!

Angelbythesea---Thank you for such a wonderful review, it was very helpful..Can you tell me, since there are 2 main diningrooms, is one more casual and the other dressier or are both casual? From what I read in the NCL info, one is for if you want to dress up, not formal but more than just casual. thanks for your help. biebz

The spa area is FOR ADULTS ONLY. That's reason enough for us to pay for the weekly pass. The pass is $20 per day OR $75 for the week OR $140 per couple for the week. It is worth every penny. The spa has male and female steam rooms, suanas, together whirlpools, thelasso pool, male and female quiet rooms, and just a lot of privacy you don't get at the outdoor main pools. The Dawn and Star have a lap pool which is my favorite in the spa.

I too am new to NCL, and heading out on the Dawn in a few weeks. I'm surprised that there is a charge for the steam room, sauna, etc... Have sailed 3 other brands that did not charge for these. Does the fitness room also fall into this $20 per day fee?

There is no charge for the Fittness room and it is open 24hrs which I loved, we used it alot, it was wonderful to go walking on the treadmill after all those wonderful meals and desserts, I did not gain a pound and I ate plenty. The 20.00 per day charge I felt was worth it because if you really wanted an adult only retreat and relaxation you got it there, if it were free the place would have been very crowded and difficult to accomodate so many people and enjoy, so to pay that small fee is well worth it. Also, the crew told us that if we purchased a massage or service you would get to use the pool/spa area for free so that is another option for you.

Angelbysea...

The NY Deli is part of the Garden Cafe (buffet). It is located aft, either on the port side or starboard side, I can't remember which.

Coffeebean, Thanks DUH now I realize where it was...lol:eek:

AFAMILY, you must have been next door to us. Did you hear that scraping and banging on the ceiling between 2 and 3 a.m. on the last two nights?

Which cabin were you in? We did hear a little ceiling noise.....we figured it was the crew cleaning and/or setting up the Garden Cafe.

How did you enjoy the cruise? We had a great time and are thinking of booking the same time for next year.

BTW, SpaLady and her husband were just down the hall from us too. We met them and they're very nice people. Sorry we didn't get to meet you. Maybe next year! :)

AFAMILY, we loved the ship and had a great time. We hadn't been on NCL for about 15 years, so it was nice to try her again. Princess has been our line of choice lately, and for various reasons we probably would give the nod to Princess over NCL, all things being equal. But, in our opinion, any cruise is a great cruise!!!

Curious how the water temps were. Did you snorkle at all and was it cold?

We will be in Bermuda the week of June 8th.

thanks

Hi, I believe the water temp was around 74 and we were in the water at Horseshoe Bay Beach, it was windy and cooler than it would have normally been for May, the water felt a bit cold when we first entered but we adjusted quickly to the temp and we were fine, floatin and swimming away, loved it. We did not go snorkling, but I did see a few people with the snorkel masks, we prob could have gone the following day, the weather was gorgeous on the day we were to sail back out. By the time you go in June the temps should be much higher, hope you have a great time.

AFAMILY: Thanks for the compliment!!! We were delighted to meet you too - we really enjoyed your company. It was amazing how much our spouses have in common. Tell her I said HI!!!!!

Archived