How to get around in Positano?

We're going to engage a private guide (driver) for Pompeii and Amalfi Coast during the one day we're in port in November 2008.

I want to visit Positano. but am confused regarding the fact that no vehicles are allowed in the town (at least, that's what I've read).

We are both seniors and not incapacitated, but not up to descending and ascending lots of steps It's also a question of time.

Please share your experiences regarding a visit to Positano as well as any other info you may wish to share regarding our day tour. Thanks

Actually, vehicles are allowed in Positano, but parking is very very limited to a few spots on the road and a handfull of very expensive parking lots. There is primarily one road that snakes from the top of the hill down to near the bottom and than back up (its one way and the entrance and exit are nearly 1 mile apart due to the shape of the hillside. Your driver could drop you anywhere along the road (which means at any level of the town) and you could probably arrange a time and meeting place to get picked-up (the driver would probably park along the main road (Amalfi Drive) and wait for your pickup time. There is also an Orange Bus (that is the local bus line) that runs an internal route that circles from the Amalfi Road down through the town and than back up to the top (and it goes round and round). That bus costs about 1.5 Euros (its a little less if you buy tickets in local shops near the bus stops). Most of the nicest shops are located on the bottom half of the town, but other than the lowest point near the small harbor, you would always be walking up or down. My advice would be to have your driver take you through the town, and if you see a place where you want to stop than you work out the details with your driver at the time.

Hank

There is a parking lot at the bottom of the hill and in the main shopping area of the town. Most drivers (not buses) will let you off there and then it is about a 10 min. walk to the church and a bit further to the beach with shops all the way. The parking lot is near a shop called Mary (my wife's name ) so I will always remenber it. Positano is a very tourist town and while it is a spectacular place I personally prefer Ravello.

I should add that the parking lot is very small (about 12 vehicles) and is also just past the hotel that was featured in "Under the Tuscan Sun" (you should see the movie before you go) so make sure your driver does not drop you off at any other place otherwise you will need the services of a mountain goat to get you back to the car! Also apart from THE MOST SPECTACULAR scenery you should see Nureyev's island, Sopia Loren's former villa, Richard Branson's hotel, Gore Viadal's former house etc. etc. There is a lovely little cermaics shop in Ravello so save time by not stopping at the touristy ceramics shop where they all stop, uless of course you want to. A day on the Amalfi Coast will be a highlight of your cruise. No worries!

Let me introduce myself...I am Marco, and my job is to promote my land: Italy...I live in Pompei and I apologise for all critics my land is going to receive in these days...My first job is: Export Manager...I export all around the world the best food and yachts of Italy...I will be very pleased if anyone of us before coming to Amalfi Coast ,Sorrento, Naples or Pompei,or ROme would ask me something very particular of this land!! I will be glad to advice you for the best!!!

COming to Positanio quesiton, Positano is very small town but very, very charming, some drivers can stop their car and let you visit,no problem for that...if you have enough time it should be fantastic to go there by a private yacht ( you can reant easly) or catch a boat from (Salerno) stop for a few minutes in Amalfi and go to Positano...It's really a fantastic tour!!!!I can tell you if you like how to book all those things...Some of people interested in this job are friends of mine!!!Regards!!!

We were in Positano last week. The public garage is where most private drivers will park and let you off and pick you up. In town, the walk to the Cathedral is not very steep at all. There are stairs to navigate to get to the beach. Taking it slowly should present no problems for you. The drive up out of town will present several vantage points you will be able to get out and take a look.

Ravello is also wonderful, but requires the same kind of up and down hill walking. The walk out to Villa Cimbrone is not to be missed if there, but there are some low stairs.

We're going to engage a private guide (driver) for Pompeii and Amalfi Coast during the one day we're in port in November 2008.

I want to visit Positano. but am confused regarding the fact that no vehicles are allowed in the town (at least, that's what I've read).

We are both seniors and not incapacitated, but not up to descending and ascending lots of steps It's also a question of time.

Please share your experiences regarding a visit to Positano as well as any other info you may wish to share regarding our day tour. Thanks

1 Where are you in port ?

2 Positano and Amalfi are better approached by sea

3 From Amalfi get bus to Ravello where the views are fantastic.

4 Back on bus to Amalfi then boat home.:)

I would love to do Positano from Naples port, but am only there in July 7-4pm and not sure its enough time to enjoy. The ship offers tour to Amalfi only but if I skip Positano I would like to do Amalfi and Ravello, could I do this on my own? And how?? Thanks.

Lee Anne

I would recommend getting a driver to pick up you up at the ship, take you to Positano and have him return you to the ship. I guess it would be around 400 euros for his time all day. If you got a group together it would be reasonable for all of you. In the time you have you could see all three cities, but I would ship Amalfi for the other Ravello and Positano. A couple of hours in each is adequate to get all the best views and a good meal.

The ship does not offer Positano because they cannot get their buses down to the town area.

Thank you for such good information. It really does help a great deal. I'm looking into Ravello as well as other sites that you've mentioned.

I understand that approaching by sea is best, but we dock in Naples at 8AM and plan to go to Pompeii first for a few hours (I know, it's far too short) and then begin our Amalfi Drive. We need to be back to the ship by 6 PM.

Again, my thanks, especially your being so specific regarding steps, cost of buses, parking spaces, garages , famous homes and and shopping tips. (I'll be certain to visit that ceramics shop). And I've already put "Under the Tuscan Sun" in our Netflix cue.

Let me introduce myself...I am Marco, and my job is to promote my land: Italy...I live in Pompei and I apologise for all critics my land is going to receive in these days...My first job is: Export Manager...I export all around the world the best food and yachts of Italy...I will be very pleased if anyone of us before coming to Amalfi Coast ,Sorrento, Naples or Pompei,or ROme would ask me something very particular of this land!! I will be glad to advice you for the best!!!

COming to Positanio quesiton, Positano is very small town but very, very charming, some drivers can stop their car and let you visit,no problem for that...if you have enough time it should be fantastic to go there by a private yacht ( you can reant easly) or catch a boat from (Salerno) stop for a few minutes in Amalfi and go to Positano...It's really a fantastic tour!!!!I can tell you if you like how to book all those things...Some of people interested in this job are friends of mine!!!Regards!!!

ciao Marco, i'm really glad to see someone from that area in this forum. i've already answered many people about naples in many posts but actually, i dont' know the costiera and the penisola as well as u maybe do, so i'm glad i've found someone that will be able to help me to give infos and suggestions about these places , since i know muuuuuuuuuch better naples herself than the other places above mentioned.

it's so funny for me to talk to u in english!! it would be natural for me to talk napolitan heheheh

ciao

When we visited this area several years ago, Ravello was my favorite spot. I could have moved in. We hired a private driver for the day. He took us to Pompei early (we were there about three hours), then onto Ravello for lunch and a stop in Amalfi before returning to the ship. It doesn't look like the reviews section here on CC go back as far as our cruise but I'll see if there is a way to access archives as my review contained info on where we went and how we did it.

Marco and Persist ~ thank you very much for your participation and willingness to help.

I would love to do Positano from Naples port, but am only there in July 7-4pm and not sure its enough time to enjoy. The ship offers tour to Amalfi only but if I skip Positano I would like to do Amalfi and Ravello, could I do this on my own? And how?? Thanks.

Lee Anne

I think it's important to know how long time is going to stay in the port of Naples your ship...because you will need at least 4 hours to go to Positano and Ravello...and belive me...if you are so lucky to be in Naples for all the night long ,you will enjoy fantastic view...If you have enough time, in Ravello there is the an event called: RAVELLO FESTIVAL...it's nice to hear music from there...Ravello is a so smart place!!!

Thank you for such good information. It really does help a great deal. I'm looking into Ravello as well as other sites that you've mentioned.

I understand that approaching by sea is best, but we dock in Naples at 8AM and plan to go to Pompeii first for a few hours (I know, it's far too short) and then begin our Amalfi Drive. We need to be back to the ship by 6 PM.

Again, my thanks, especially your being so specific regarding steps, cost of buses, parking spaces, garages , famous homes and and shopping tips. (I'll be certain to visit that ceramics shop). And I've already put "Under the Tuscan Sun" in our Netflix cue.

Hi, I would advice you to not spend too much time in Pompei but go to visit the New Discovered VILLAS OF STABIAE....It's an amazing place,where you will really see how perfect Roman Engineers were in the past.Please feel free to ask me any more detail...I am glad to help!!!

ciao Marco, i'm really glad to see someone from that area in this forum. i've already answered many people about naples in many posts but actually, i dont' know the costiera and the penisola as well as u maybe do, so i'm glad i've found someone that will be able to help me to give infos and suggestions about these places , since i know muuuuuuuuuch better naples herself than the other places above mentioned.

it's so funny for me to talk to u in english!! it would be natural for me to talk napolitan heheheh

ciao

THanks a lot for your quote...I live in Pompei, but in my "lost moments" I use to escape from the town to go to Costiera to find my way...I know that area very well,If I could help...I will really appreciate!!!

Last year we spent 3 days in Positano pre-cruise and loved it. All of the Amalfi coast towns are breathtaking.

Our driver was able to drive us to the top of the town but we did a lot of walking anyway. One day we took a tour to Capri on a yacht which required walking all the way down to the beach.

The first time I was in Amalfi was during a port stop in Naples and I toughtit was amazing, thus the stay last year. You will love it!!

I think it's important to know how long time is going to stay in the port of Naples your ship...because you will need at least 4 hours to go to Positano and Ravello...and belive me...if you are so lucky to be in Naples for all the night long ,you will enjoy fantastic view...If you have enough time, in Ravello there is the an event called: RAVELLO FESTIVAL...it's nice to hear music from there...Ravello is a so smart place!!!

Unfortunately we are in port only from 7am-4pm and I hear traffic on the coastal drive is heavy so am nervous of making it back to ship from Positano on time. But it sounds like I can do it with private driver.

When we visited this area several years ago, Ravello was my favorite spot. I could have moved in. We hired a private driver for the day. He took us to Pompei early (we were there about three hours), then onto Ravello for lunch and a stop in Amalfi before returning to the ship. It doesn't look like the reviews section here on CC go back as far as our cruise but I'll see if there is a way to access archives as my review contained info on where we went and how we did it.

Marco and Persist ~ thank you very much for your participation and willingness to help.

Thank you, this is another choice and sounds easier maybe than trying to get to Positano and back in shortport stay.

I would recommend getting a driver to pick up you up at the ship, take you to Positano and have him return you to the ship. I guess it would be around 400 euros for his time all day. If you got a group together it would be reasonable for all of you. In the time you have you could see all three cities, but I would ship Amalfi for the other Ravello and Positano. A couple of hours in each is adequate to get all the best views and a good meal.

The ship does not offer Positano because they cannot get their buses down to the town area.

Thank you for the info, I agree to perhaps skip Amalfi and just do Ravello and Positano. I'll call some drivers recommended from these boards and see what I can work out.

We did Pompeii in the afternoon as the drive back to the ship was shorter and less likely to have a problem. On our last trip we did Herculaneum which is even closer to the port and we found it more interesting and viewable than Pompeii. On your way around to Positano and Ravello, be sure to take a few minutes to view Sorrento. We used Francesco Marrapese for both of our trips.

Thank you for the info, I agree to perhaps skip Amalfi and just do Ravello and Positano. I'll call some drivers recommended from these boards and see what I can work out.

This does not make much sense since in order to get to Ravello you have to drive right through the center of Amalfi. At that point, its worth a few minutes to stop, stretch your legs, and look around (the center of Amalfi is only a few blocks). We do agree with those that say you should go to Ravello. But understand that the Amalfi Drive is a 2 lane road and very narrow at some points (particularly around Positano where cars park along the road). During the busy summer season this road can become quite congested and its common to have "stand-offs" where there is not enough room for a bus to get through traffic on some of the curves. When this happens, it really slows traffic until the drivers can unravel the situation. We have driven from Sorrento to Amalfi/Ravello in about an hour on quiet days, but that same drive has also taken over 2 hours (one-way) on bad days. And remember, if you are leaving from Naples you still have to get down to Sorrento and this little drive can take 45 min to an hour. One problem is that there has been some construction projects on the road between Naples and Sorrento, and this can add some time on various days (its unpredictable).

Hank

Just wondering what cruise you are on. We are going on Brilliance of the Sea leaving Oct. 20 from Barcelona. I would like to take a private tour of the Amalfi Coast and would like to get at least 2 more to share. If anyone out there is on the same cruise and would like to join us, please reply. I have contacted a company called DriveAmalfi and have several replies from them but have not booked.

Archived