Avalon Tours?

azkitty

Globus/Avalon mentioned many optional $$ tours. Do they have included tours? Are those morning tours and do they provide them at each port? ? Are the $$ tours in the afternoon? We are going on the Danube cruise beginning with several nights in Prague and ending in Budapest. If anyone has done this, what $$ tours would you recommend? I particularly want to see the Jewish quarter and cemetery in Prague and wonder if we should do this on our own, book through the hotel or take the Globus tour? We will be in Vienna prior to going to Prague and my cousin there has offered to take us to an evening concert and show us the sights. I was in Salzburg so many years ago that I barely remember. My husband has never been. Is that a worthwhile tour? We actually enjoy wandering around on our own and are not partial to long day tours. Appreciate any suggestions.

I will be on my first Avalon River Cruise at the end up June. Tour beginning in Budapest on June 20 and end July 2, 2008 in Prague.

My understanding is that included tours are in the morning with a return to the river vessel for lunch. After lunch are the optional tours. Best to pay in US$.

Salzburg. That will be an all day tour. You will leave the boat after breakfast in one port and rejoin the river vessel in another town. If you skip the Salzburg trip you will actually cruise with the boat from/to Lintz and Passau.

Check out some other threads about Avalon on this board.

Msem

If you plan to go to Salzburg, you should go with the excursion because it is a very long way from the boat to Salzburg. Once there, you can do whatever you like on your own...in fact, most of the time in Salzburg is on your own, with a short walking tour by the local guide.

Hi all! We were on this cruise June 1/05 & at that time there were 7 optional excursions in Prague, 1 in Linz & 2 in Vienna. I only took the "Prague's Jewish Heritage" which at that time was $36 USD. I found it very interesting. There are included sightseeing tours in each place, as I remember & time to explore a bit on your own.

If they give you the "Grand European Cruise Guide" that they gave us, be sure to look it over as on the back overleaf there is a guide explaining all 30 statues on the Charles Bridge.

You'll have a great cruise plus Prague is beautiful!

~Jo~ :)

Avalon invariably offers included tours in practically every port of call and on their pre or post cruise stays (within the cruise package).

Optional tours are offered to address specific interests and it makes a lot of sense to have them as optional features. Many people love music but not all passengers should be forced to pay for any particular concert that they may like (or equally so, not).

I found that the Jewsih Heritage tour in Prague was a great experience. Yet, a number of my fellow passengers wanted to shop and enjoy the time on their own.

Avalon program grants needed flexibility for both.

EURiverCruiser

• 2 months later...

This is on a rather different subject; however, do you all find it better to book directly with the cruise company or go through a travel agent? We have booked directly with Avalon and this morning my travel agent from AAA said she probably could have gotten us a better price, and even offered to "take over" now after we had made all plans with Avalon. I think I "smell a rat!" Is she wanting a commission or what?

Bassmomma...

I traveled with AMA a few years ago and booked directly with them. Some friends booked the same trip through a travel agency and their costs was $700 per person more than mine. This may not always be the case but I prefer to work directly with the river cruise company to get the best deals.

Avalon Artistry, June 2008: Some of the included tours were in the morning and some were in the afternoon. We never knew if the included tours were in the AM or PM until we received the daily bullentin each evening.

MSem

Archived