The best Travel insurance is it CHI?

This topic has probably come up before, so please forgive me if it has.

Last crusie I used CHI through P&O for our travel insurance and have had to make a claim on it, will let you know when I receive the money back!

This time I am wondering what everyone feels is the best out there with travel insurance.

We looked at the insurance through the credit card but my husband isn't happy with that. My bank has given me a quote which is double the price of CHI, and then I look online and they are half the price. So I am a little confused. I don't want to go cheap and nasty, I really want the best coverage I can get, should anything go wrong but at a reasonable price.

Any advice with this would be well recieved at this point.

We've used online company travelinsurancedirect.com.au which is underwritten by Allianz for all past 5 overseas trips including our last cruise.

We've never had to make a claim, so can't advise on that but I got quotes from alot of online insurance companies and they were the cheapest and they also offered very high benefits with an easy to read PDS statement about their coverage and also a informative FAQ's section so you don't have to wonder 'what if that is covered ???' (I'm one of those who like to read all the fine print to find out what's included and what's not).

They are in australia so if you also have any questions before taking out the policy they have a 1300 number and your not talking to an overseas call centre

This topic has probably come up before, so please forgive me if it has.

Last crusie I used CHI through P&O for our travel insurance and have had to make a claim on it, will let you know when I receive the money back!

This time I am wondering what everyone feels is the best out there with travel insurance.

We looked at the insurance through the credit card but my husband isn't happy with that. My bank has given me a quote which is double the price of CHI, and then I look online and they are half the price. So I am a little confused. I don't want to go cheap and nasty, I really want the best coverage I can get, should anything go wrong but at a reasonable price.

Any advice with this would be well recieved at this point.

Allianz\Mondial and QBE both offer comparable mainstream policies that they sell direct, offer through online brokers (like travelinsurancedirect.com), and through other insurance companies. On our last cruise we found the best deal for a QBE policy through NIB health insurance, and were able to complete it online too. All onsellers of the QBE and Allianz policies have access to their local claims centres.

Have found that best priced source varies depending on the length of the policy.

The dearest quote we receive each time we book is from our T\A that sells a Vero policy.

For our next cruise we are settling for the free travel insuarance that comes with our gold credit card. Less frills and higher excess, but less risk with our destination anyway. To qualify we need to pay more than 50% of our travel with the card.

Thanks Kazda and arxcards,

I really liked the look of the gold card insurance too, but my husband didn't think it was the right one for me, not sure why.

I will go through the online ones and see what I come up with, I suppose if they are underwritten by a reputable company then all should be fine. CHI through P&O/Carnival is also mondial. So now that I am dealing with a claim it is going through mondial.

I like worldcare...haven't had a problem, and it covers my vet bills while I am away....My dog always ends up at the vets when I cruise!!!

Medical is unlimited and so is repatriation back home if I need it. 13 day trip for under $60 suits me fine.

Always read the fine print and know what you need before taking out a policy.

:)

For our next cruise we are settling for the free travel insuarance that comes with our gold credit card. Less frills and higher excess, but less risk with our destination anyway. To qualify we need to pay more than 50% of our travel with the card.

We have been travelling internationally for 27 years, sometimes several times a year. For the last nearly 20 years we have used the 'free' insurance that comes with our gold Visa card. We have had two claims (one for major dental and one for sizeable theft) and there were no problems. We have an excess of $250 (I think) whereas the normal excess on insurance is $100. We don't mind that because we are not trying to insure ourselves for small losses, just the big ones. We have saved many thousands of dollars by using this form of insurance. However, if your husband is concerned about this insurance, you are probably better to buy a policy.

Have a great cruise.:):)

Thanks Kazda and arxcards,

I really liked the look of the gold card insurance too, but my husband didn't think it was the right one for me, not sure why.

I will go through the online ones and see what I come up with, I suppose if they are underwritten by a reputable company then all should be fine. CHI through P&O/Carnival is also mondial. So now that I am dealing with a claim it is going through mondial.

I just purchased 1COver for our next cruise. We would have stuck with the gold card if we were sailing from our home port but this one involves flights. We took the risk on our last cruise and got caught out due to the late arrival of our ship into Sydney, we changed our flights no prob, but were up for the cost of a nights accom in Sydney and a day lost wages... No biggie but we decided to lessen the risk this time, just in case...

Anyhow you might find this thread helpful

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=762896

We have been travelling internationally for 27 years, sometimes several times a year. For the last nearly 20 years we have used the 'free' insurance that comes with our gold Visa card. We have had two claims (one for major dental and one for sizeable theft) and there were no problems. We have an excess of $250 (I think) whereas the normal excess on insurance is $100. We don't mind that because we are not trying to insure ourselves for small losses, just the big ones. We have saved many thousands of dollars by using this form of insurance. However, if your husband is concerned about this insurance, you are probably better to buy a policy.

The catch to this is the card fees that are charged on a transaction. We are on a cheap cruise this time, so great value.

When we priced on our NYE cruise, the T\A would have charged the 2% card fee costing us over $150 to utilise the free insurance. On that occasion we paid by cheque, and paid $120 for a QBE policy.

The catch to this is the card fees that are charged on a transaction. We are on a cheap cruise this time, so great value.

When we priced on our NYE cruise, the T\A would have charged the 2% card fee costing us over $150 to utilise the free insurance. On that occasion we paid by cheque, and paid $120 for a QBE policy.

That is a good point. We have to pay at least $250 of the cost of the trip on the card. The TA charged 1.5% fee ($3.75). We could pay the balance of the deposit by cheque or directly to his bank account. The partner and dependent children of the cardholder are also covered. :)

What a wonderfully knowledgable group of people:)

Thanks surfoz for the link, after reading through and investigating all options I think I will go with 1cover. It appears to be quite comprehenive and price is great. Although worldcover is slightly cheaper, so I am going to look a little closer at that before I absolutely decide. My quote (huge pile of paperwork) from the bank arrived today, but it is double the price. I love the girls at the bank, but there are better options that you have all mentioned. My next 2 cruises also include flights, so I want to be covered for all possibilities.

Now that I know what is what with insurance options it will make it easier for future trips.

The gold card cover is very interesting, our friends travel with this insurance all the time and are happy with it. It is quite a large chunk though when booking an expensive cruise.

cloakndagger, I feel for you if your animals get sick while you are away. My neighbours look after mine and they tell me the cat just howls when we are away, and yes we too had some sort of strange accident with one of the animals. I still think they were faking it for the sympathy vote as they recovered way too quick!

The gold card cover is very interesting, our friends travel with this insurance all the time and are happy with it. It is quite a large chunk though when booking an expensive cruise.

Hi Gizzigoo,

With the gold card you have to pay a total of $250 on the credit card, not the whole cost of the expensive cruise. I point this out so your decision is an informed one, then you decide which insurance cover you feel comfortable with.

Hi Gizzigoo,

With the gold card you have to pay a total of $250 on the credit card, not the whole cost of the expensive cruise. I point this out so your decision is an informed one, then you decide which insurance cover you feel comfortable with.

Hi Ela,

Thanks for the heads up on this, I did read it wrong. I was having one of my Duh moments, those duh moments happen to me way too often:rolleyes:

So it really isn't that that bad to utilise the gold card this way. I will actually fill my hubby in on this.

once again thanks heaps

Hi Gizzigoo,

Looks to me that you must bank at a different bank than I do :confused: - re-checked my gold card insurance and I need to pay the whole cost of the 'overseas ticket' on the gold card for the cover to apply, i.e. the airticket if you cruise from overseas or the cruise ticket if you cruise from Australia (for our 42 day Cherry Blossom cruise from Sydney next year this would be a packet of extra cost at 2 % charged by the TA :eek: )

Where do you bank??

Looks to me that you must bank at a different bank than I do :confused: - re-checked my gold card insurance and I need to pay the whole cost of the 'overseas ticket' on the gold card for the cover to apply, i.e. the airticket if you cruise from overseas or the cruise ticket if you cruise from Australia (for our 42 day Cherry Blossom cruise from Sydney next year this would be a packet of extra cost at 2 % charged by the TA :eek: )

Where do you bank??

Hi Boeckli,

ANZ. I just phoned the enquiries number (1800 032 481) to check that the policy has not changed very recently. Daniel assured me that there just needs to be $250 (being only part of the cost of an overseas trip) spent on the primary card-holder's account. This will then cover his/her partner as well. I had checked with the bank a couple of months ago, but checked today just to be sure.:):):)

Sounds like it is worth changing to ANZ Gold Card for that travel insurance.

We use NAB, which as I mentioned earlier requires 50% of the pre-paid travel to be purchased on the card. Made it too expensive for our last cruise, but will suit us down to the ground for our less expensive Tassie one.

http://www.nab.com.au/Personal_Finance/0,,38513,00.html

I am waiting on an answer as to if it is considered overseas travel on this cruise. In buying a policy elsewhere, domestic will not cover it - but the Gold Card policy may consider a cruise from Sydney to Melbourne & Tassie as domestic travel.

Sounds like it is worth changing to ANZ Gold Card for that travel insurance.

We use NAB, which as I mentioned earlier requires 50% of the pre-paid travel to be purchased on the card. Made it too expensive for our last cruise, but will suit us down to the ground for our less expensive Tassie one.

http://www.nab.com.au/Personal_Finance/0,,38513,00.html

I am waiting on an answer as to if it is considered overseas travel on this cruise. In buying a policy elsewhere, domestic will not cover it - but the Gold Card policy may consider a cruise from Sydney to Melbourne & Tassie as domestic travel.

Geoff,

The word 'overseas' in my notes about travel was my addition, and I hope it didn't confuse the issue. When I phoned ASZ I specifically asked about an 'overseas' trip to stress the point that it was a fairly expensive trip and was a total of $250 all that was required. I didn't think to ask about domestic travel, but that is a good point because we travel within Australia a lot. That is a very interesting point.:):)

Geoff,

The word 'overseas' in my notes about travel was my addition, and I hope it didn't confuse the issue. When I phoned ASZ I specifically asked about an 'overseas' trip to stress the point that it was a fairly expensive trip and was a total of $250 all that was required. I didn't think to ask about domestic travel, but that is a good point because we travel within Australia a lot. That is a very interesting point.:):)

No Evon,

Your comment has not confused me.

When I first approached some insurance companies about coverage for the cruise to Tassie, they said domestic cover would not be adequate, because we were deemed to be overseas travellers when we boarded an international ship.

The Gold card policy only protects for overseas travel (and connecting to it). I am waiting for them to confirm whether they consider our cruise (would be similar for a Qld coastal one) to be overseas travel for the purpose of their policy.

Archived