Caribbean or the Mexican Riviera for my families first cruise?

alba216

This is my first cruise, I plan on leaving late September early October with my wife and two daughters, 13 months and 6 years old. I was thinkin the 7 Day cruises. I know Ill enjoy either cruise, but for my 6 year old, Im not sure. I know she will like Stingray City in the Cayman Islands, but I cant think of anything else to sway me in either direction. Both girls love the water. Any suggestions? Thanks

Tough call, they're both great places to visit with great beaches. You may find slightly calmer water for the little one in the Caribbean, depending on the itinerary, but then, it's also hurricane season in both places. Hurricane season could mean missed ports--I did a Mexican Riviera cruise in October 2006 and our ship almost had to miss Mazatlan due to a hurricane, and there were several other ships sailing that week that missed their ports because of the hurricane (they had slightly different itineraries than our ship did, I guess, and ended up stuck on the wrong side of the storm). The same thing can easily happen in the Caribbean too. So, I'd be sure to pick a ship that will meet your needs in case you aren't able to get into port and end up with extra sea days.

I'm much more of a Caribbean fan than Mexico. However, for your first cruise, and since you are traveling with little ones, I'd suggest cruising out of the closest port to your home! Traveling to and from the port can be the biggest hassle of the trip.

Also be sure you are on a family friendly line, and look for ships that will have a nursery for your 13 month old.

Personally I'd recommend Disney - they do an awesome job!

This is my first cruise, I plan on leaving late September early October with my wife and two daughters, 13 months and 6 years old. I was thinkin the 7 Day cruises...

I would recommend the Caribbean for a first cruise for the following reasons:

1) Prices are lower due to competition

2) Mexican cruise starts with 2 sea days (you might not like this)

3) Water is better / warmer

4) Perfer the ports

5) Access to cruise company private beaches

Western Mexico is OK if you can get a cheaper deal - air + cruise. The weather may also be a bit better - less humid.

Archived