Misty Fjords Sea Plane Tour

BIG4YA

I am looking for some feedback on the Misty Fjords sea plane tour. This tour is going for $248pp through RCCL and I am wondering if it is worth it? Also does anyone know what tour company RCCL uses for this tour?

I am looking for some feedback on the Misty Fjords sea plane tour. This tour is going for $248pp through RCCL and I am wondering if it is worth it? Also does anyone know what tour company RCCL uses for this tour?

Try Michelle at Island Wings. I flew with her 3 weeks ago and it was great.

The ship Misty Fjords tours are not the best. They are tightly scheduled and can be pretty impersonal. You also will have NO opportunity to get on land in the fjords, which is a possibility with an independent. Ship contractors are Taquin and ProMech, I've flown with both, certainly well run companies.

We took a flightseeing trip with Southeast Aviation, which we booked independent of the ship (we were there on May 7th, I think). They picked us up at the visitor's center right at the dock (we were the only ship in port) and took us to their hangar. There were 5 of us plus the pilot, and we had a wonderful trip! We landed in the fjords, and got out of the plane for maybe 10 minutes; there were harbor seals watching us, although they didn't get too close, they were fun to watch. They had several times we could choose, we went at 1:30 or 2:00 in the afternoon; the weather was sunny in Ketchikan, cloudy as we got into the fjords but not hazy or raining. Amazing scenery, really worth the $197 (an early booking special) per person. Our favorite excursion!

We flew with Misty Fjords Air & Outfitting, booked independently. It was $239 PP I think. 2 hours total, 1:15 flight time plus 15 min on the lake stop plus travel to and from the visitor center. They have several pilots and 3 different size planes. On our trip, it was just the two of us, the pilot and a lovely woman from Atlanta that we all would have loved to toss out the emergency exit (she was a moron - sorry, but she was). Th trip was beautiful. There are MANY different operations making these flights. There were a ton right there off the cruise ship dock. I would just be aware of the flight length to make sure you get what you pay for.

We also flew with Island Air (Michelle) and it was great. This was last Saturday. Cost was $458 for two. She does a great job, lands and lets you walk on the beach. You can smell spring in the air, and seeing the dense forest is amazing.

We booked through the ship for our up coming cruise. The time restraint kept me from booking independantly. Now, I am concerned that our group is not going to get what we expected.

Hope it all goes well!!!!!!!!

What is your time concern??? Many people have half port days in Ketchikan with easy booking of independent Misty Fjords flights.

I can tell you- independent is superior for this particular excursion, bottom line.

Gotta put my 2 cents in! We went with Michelle at Island Wings and it was the highlight of our trip!!! She is a great pilot. I was nervous at first, but she is such a great pilot that as soon as we took off, the nervous feeling was gone!!!

The nice part about booking with Michelle is that she let us decide which way we wanted to come back. So we got to see different scenery on the way back. We actually saw Mahoney Falls (where we took the cart expedition) from the plane!!

Don't miss out - it was wonderful!!

After reading this thread, I cancelled the tour I had scheduled with the cruise line and rescheduled with Michelle at Island Wings. Can't wait till July! This is our trip to Alaska and our first cruise.

After reading this thread, I cancelled the tour I had scheduled with the cruise line and rescheduled with Michelle at Island Wings. Can't wait till July! This is our trip to Alaska and our first cruise.

You will be glad you did.

You won't regret it. We were on that flight last Friday and besides the fact that the Misty Fjords were not at all misty (we had amazing weather the whole week), the flight was wonderful!

I would highly recommend Island Wings also. We flew last Friday (I believe the poster Droste above was on my flight).

It was incredible. Like Droste stated above, it wasnt "misty" but Michelle said it was the some of the best visibility she's ever seen. There wasnt a could in the sky and it was 70 degrees. Saw a Bear and her 2 cubs from the air.

Out of the 5 excursions we did, 2 of them were through Independent Operators (Island Wings and Harv and Marvs) and these were the 2 BEST excursions we had. I would always recommend independents whenever possible since these guys may not be around much longer with the way fuel prices are going. Harv and Marv (Jay) indicated he expects gas to go up to $10/gallon and if it does he's out of business. He's already making a backup plan....

I would highly recommend Island Wings also. We flew last Friday (I believe the poster Droste above was on my flight).

It was incredible. Like Droste stated above, it wasnt "misty" but Michelle said it was the some of the best visibility she's ever seen. There wasnt a could in the sky and it was 70 degrees. Saw a Bear and her 2 cubs from the air.

Out of the 5 excursions we did, 2 of them were through Independent Operators (Island Wings and Harv and Marvs) and these were the 2 BEST excursions we had. I would always recommend independents whenever possible since these guys may not be around much longer with the way fuel prices are going. Harv and Marv (Jay) indicated he expects gas to go up to $10/gallon and if it does he's out of business. He's already making a backup plan....

We too, did tours with both Harv and Marvs, and Michelle with Island Wings. These excursions were priceless. I sure hope they don't go out of business!!

Good Sailing,

Barry

I have a choice of going with the following companies: Southeastern Aviation (8am or 10am), Family Air (not sure of available time), Carlin Air (8am), and possible SeaWind (10am). Any thoughts? Island Air is not available.

We're going with SeaWind Aviation in August. I can certainly say that I was very pleased with their customer service in making our reservations. I'm sure we're going to have a great flight with them.

Lesley and Steve are the nicest people you will ever find. You will really enjoy the flight with Sea Wind.

That was a great tour, wasn't it? I just got around to posting my review of our trip if you're interested...

:confused: Hi There,

For all of you that have done the Island Wings tour with Michelle...here is my question. We are in port on the Star Princess and have made a reservation with Michelle. The only time available is 1:30 - 3:30...our ship sets sail at 4:30. Will we have enough time to get back to the ship? Not sure of the location of the helicopter vs the cruise ships. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kathy

We just flew with Island Wings last week. Their dock is a 5 or so minute drive from the cruise ship docks so you shouldn't have any problems. They are a very well-run operation and are well aware of the ship schedules but it wouldn't hurt to mention that you have to be back before 4PM just to be sure.

Archived