solo on princess...room share?

jwave

Does Princess still do this (where they will assign you a roommate)?

My understanding of the program is this: if you sign up and they have another single same sex passenger they will pair you up, if they don't you get a room to yourself without paying the single supplement. Is this right?

If so, does anyone know how often (percent of time) they find a roommate for you and how often they don't?

I am thinking about traveling solo, and I would really like my own room, but really don't want to pay for two when it is just me. I am worried about the room share option, being matched with a total stranger, whom I would know NOTHING about....plus I snore.

I think this is part of the problem that Princess was running into. Those that wanted a single share and found out they were going to have a roommate wanted a stateroom all to themselves paying only the single share rate. We had a post from a CC member about a year or so ago that this took place.

Since it never guaranteed a single a room to themselves, I never quite understood the problem.

It wasn't long afterward when Princess discontinued the single share program.

I think this is part of the problem that Princess was running into. Those that wanted a single share and found out they were going to have a roommate wanted a stateroom all to themselves paying only the single share rate. We had a post from a CC member about a year or so ago that this took place.

Since it never guaranteed a single a room to themselves, I never quite understood the problem.

It wasn't long afterward when Princess discontinued the single share program.

Yup. I remember this. The poster was incensed that they would actually have to share the cabin.

I certainly would not be upset if I signed up for the program and actually got a roommate, but it would be even nicer to get a solo room.

I do have a hard time paying 200% for a room that only I will be in. I know that the cruise line counts on double occupancy, so I understand their point of view.

I don't know, it is a tough call.

I certainly would not be upset if I signed up for the program and actually got a roommate, but it would be even nicer to get a solo room.

I do have a hard time paying 200% for a room that only I will be in. I know that the cruise line counts on double occupancy, so I understand their point of view.

I don't know, it is a tough call.

Book the lowest category inside cabin. This way when you have to pay 200%, it is not so painful. Maybe you'll get lucky and get upgraded...don't hold your breath though.

I often cruise solo in a cabin, and that's my choice. Rarely, though, have I ever paid 200% for a oceanview or inside cabin. It's more like 150 - 175%. Still bad but not 200%. For instance, on the cruise I just booked today, the cost of an oceanview is 159% of the 2-person cost.

Ahhh... good to know.

Yep - especially flash specials. They are almost always 200% now. I have a $500 cruise booked in Oct and it is 200% for an inside. Though the repo the following week which is cheaper and is 150% (I think).

i believe this was more of a safety and security issue than anything else....Prrincess probably does not want to be responsible for assigning you a roomate that may be a danger to you physically or financially. makes sense. I know of no hotel that would assign you a random roomate. It's called liability!

Does Princess still do this (where they will assign you a roommate)?

My understanding of the program is this: if you sign up and they have another single same sex passenger they will pair you up, if they don't you get a room to yourself without paying the single supplement. Is this right?

If so, does anyone know how often (percent of time) they find a roommate for you and how often they don't?

I am thinking about traveling solo, and I would really like my own room, but really don't want to pay for two when it is just me. I am worried about the room share option, being matched with a total stranger, whom I would know NOTHING about....plus I snore.

To date, I've sailed two cruises solo. the single supplement rate depends on the category and itinerary. Caribbean cruises are usually ~ 150%. I am paying nearly 200% for Sea Princess, but that's a very popular Canada/New England itinerary.

You'll find solo cruising can be a good experience. Anytime dining works really well. For a new experience every day, ask the Head Waiter for a large table "share". You can repeat your favorite stories and jokes. :p

The lower supplement rates are usually, but not always, restricted to inside and oceanview cabins. I book inside because I spend very little time in the cabin and size isn't an issue. Just bring a nightlight.

Have you visited the solo message board? Lots of good info there.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. I had decided I would just book my cabin at the 200% rate when a friend of mine here decided she wanted to go, so now I have my trip and a roommate I really like.

I hope I still do after 12 days....;)

Archived