Another Camera Help

I am looking at purchasing a digital camera with a 12X zoom before we head off to our Alaskan cruise. I am looking at the Canon S5 IS since I have a Canon now. What other camera should I look at that is in the same price range as the Canon S5 IS and also the same features? Since I do have one Canon, I am really favored to Canon but will check out other cameras in the same category.

Thanks

Others will pop in with recommendations.

I have the S3 IS and it is the best camera that I have ever used (never used DSLR). Even if you stopped looking now and chose the S5 IS, I think that you would be happy, these are very well regarded cameras. I am hooked on the 12x zoom, can't imagine being happy with anything less. The movie mode on these cameras is really great.

With that said, there are many great choices out there.

MAC

I am looking at purchasing a digital camera with a 12X zoom before we head off to our Alaskan cruise. I am looking at the Canon S5 IS since I have a Canon now. What other camera should I look at that is in the same price range as the Canon S5 IS and also the same features? Since I do have one Canon, I am really favored to Canon but will check out other cameras in the same category.

Thanks

Others to consider are Olympus SP-550/560, Sony H3/H9, Panasonic Lumix FZ18

The Canon P&S and the S3/S5 are category winners. You can try the others but unless the ergo or some other feature out weighs everything on the S5 I'd take it over any other superzoom. It was my alternative to a full DSLR, sometimes I wonder about the complexity I jumped into getting a DSLR versus the all in one the S5 offers:eek:

Here are two glowing reviews for it:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/page20.asp

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S5IS/S5ISA.HTM

Others will pop in with recommendations.

I have the S3 IS and it is the best camera that I have ever used (never used DSLR). Even if you stopped looking now and chose the S5 IS, I think that you would be happy, these are very well regarded cameras. I am hooked on the 12x zoom, can't imagine being happy with anything less. The movie mode on these cameras is really great.

With that said, there are many great choices out there.

MAC

I live just east of you!!!!!!!!!!! Small world:D

I am looking at purchasing a digital camera with a 12X zoom

Just a reminder not to be overly focused (pun intended) on the X-factor that many camera makers use and retailers love to tout. Unlike binoculars it doesn't fully reflect the max lens magnification but rather the ratio between the Wide-to-Telezoom capabiity. In other words you ALSO need to look at the lens in terms of 35mm equivalents (expressed as mm). For example both a 12-144mm and a 40-480mm may be advertised as 12x. The lower the first number is the 'wider' the field-of-view. The bigger the latter the more 'reach' (but less field-of-view) has.

So which one is better? It depends on what you are looking to do with the camera. Assuming the lenses are of equal quality the 12-144 is better suited for wide-angle, interior or general photography while the 40-480mm may do better for outdoor sports or animal watching. There is another thread around here on the same topic but you also want to look at the f-stop rating of the lens at the wide/zoom settings. The lower the numbers (ie, f2.8-f4.0) the 'faster' the lens is which is better for lower light than say a f4.5-f8.0 While I haven't used one I've read and heard good things about the S3/S5 as well as the Oly.

One last tip I'll add is to check out http://www.pbase.com/ and look for photos taken with the model camera(s) you are looking at. If you look at the EXIF details you can gain an insight at the settings used by the photographer under different situations (bright daylight, overcast or indoors). The camera is only part of the process of capturing a great photo. The rest is up to the person pushing the shutter button!

Cheers

Chris in VA

I've been using a Canon S-400 for several years. It's a nice camera but with our upcoming Alaska cruise, I wanted to get something with a better zoom for capturing wildlife shots.

I was looking at the s-5, and the s-100 and Lumix FZ18 with it's 18X zoom. All good cameras but the one thing I didn't really like was the fact they weren't pocketable. I would prefer not to lug a bigger camera around.

I ended up buying a Panasonic Lumix TZ5. It comes with a Lieca 10X zoom and .28mm wide angle len's that's great for group and landscape shots. It also does HD movies, has a 3 inch lcd screen and is pocketable. I just got it this past weekend and it's really fun to use and takes great pictures.

You might want to add this camera to the list of cams you're looking at.

I just bought a Sony H50 for our Alaskan cruise in July. So far, I love the camera. It has 15x optical zoom, and is a 9.1 megapixel camera. In the off chance that you want to use it as a video camera, it takes wonderful video as well. unlike my previous digital, you can zoom while recording. One must on a super zoom camera, is image stabilization. The camera has sensors that will eliminate most, if not all camera shake. If you are taking pictures at full zoom, you will appreciate that option.

Just a reminder not to be overly focused (pun intended) on the X-factor that many camera makers use and retailers love to tout. Unlike binoculars it doesn't fully reflect the max lens magnification but rather the ratio between the Wide-to-Telezoom capabiity. In other words you ALSO need to look at the lens in terms of 35mm equivalents (expressed as mm). For example both a 12-144mm and a 40-480mm may be advertised as 12x. The lower the first number is the 'wider' the field-of-view. The bigger the latter the more 'reach' (but less field-of-view) has.

So which one is better? It depends on what you are looking to do with the camera. Assuming the lenses are of equal quality the 12-144 is better suited for wide-angle, interior or general photography while the 40-480mm may do better for outdoor sports or animal watching. There is another thread around here on the same topic but you also want to look at the f-stop rating of the lens at the wide/zoom settings. The lower the numbers (ie, f2.8-f4.0) the 'faster' the lens is which is better for lower light than say a f4.5-f8.0 While I haven't used one I've read and heard good things about the S3/S5 as well as the Oly.

One last tip I'll add is to check out http://www.pbase.com/ and look for photos taken with the model camera(s) you are looking at. If you look at the EXIF details you can gain an insight at the settings used by the photographer under different situations (bright daylight, overcast or indoors). The camera is only part of the process of capturing a great photo. The rest is up to the person pushing the shutter button!

Cheers

Chris in VA

Thanks

You are correct

Thank you guys for all of the info. I really do appreciate it very much. I knew I could get some excellent info on this board. I still really have not yet decided what to purchase. I really think that the older I get, the more I get like my Dad..........Hating to spend money!!!!!!!!!:D

I still really have not yet decided what to purchase. I really think that the older I get, the more I get like my Dad..........Hating to spend money!!!!!!!!!:D

Well, I can't speak for my dad but I gotta admit my FIL has a good system - he lets the son/sons-in-law do all the research for the high-tech gadgets they want and then HE often buys the same model. That way he has tech-support in the family:D

Cheers

Chris in VA

My first digital camera is a Kodak EasyShare DX7590 with 38-380 zoom, and I find it takes wonderful pictures. It is not pocketable, but it has an optical viewfinder, which I find indispensible. I just have too much difficulty seeing the screen in sunlight. I recently purchased the Kodak EasyShare Z1012 IS, a bit larger, and am looking forward to taking in on my upcoming cruise. Before digital, I carried an SLR with 28-300 zoom lens and a point and shoot zoom. I miss some of the features of an SLR, but am not willing to move up financially ans size-wise. EM

• 3 weeks later...

I have ordered the Canon S5 IS digital camera but so far have not yet received it yet. I am going to have to call them and see what is going on. The way more luck has been, it will be on back order. I might even cancel my order if I can because that would be the second or third order that I have cancelled since it was on back order and I would not be able to get my camera before my next Alaskan cruise.

I am new to photography, so please be patient. If I do not get my Canon S5 IS digital camera, I have been looking at the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTI. Now, I do not know that much about cameras but I can get this one for about the same price as the S5 camera. Would the Rebel be better than the S5 camera?? Does the rebel have more features and be able to get a lot more accessories??

The main features that I know I want is excellent quality pictures, nice zoom and lots of bells and whistles on the camera.

Thanks,

David

Archived