Rental Car from MCO to Port Canaveral

I would like to save some money from renting for the week, and just rent 1 way to the port (arriving a day early) and perhaps 1 way back to the airport (4 people, 7 day Mariner cruise). Does this make sense? Should I try 1 way to the port and take the Royal Caribbean shuttle back? Hmmm. What have you done?

I would like to save some money from renting for the week, and just rent 1 way to the port (arriving a day early) and perhaps 1 way back to the airport (4 people, 7 day Mariner cruise). Does this make sense? Should I try 1 way to the port and take the Royal Caribbean shuttle back? Hmmm. What have you done?

If you go here to the East Coast Departure Boards - Florida there is a thread called "I Work in Port Canaveral" where you can get all of the best information from someone who works there.

I have taken you to the last page where they are discussing things like this now. Any question you have can and will be answered by them. ;) Post this question over there. ;) It is a great source of information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=436720&page=199

Hi! We just came back from a week aboard Mariner and I have to tell you that we used Enterprise to get from the Disney area to the port and it was completely seamless. They picked us up and then we dropped off about 1.5 miles from the port and they have a courtesy shuttle that takes you to the pier with no problems - they're very helpful! From Disney, it was about $60 for the one-way rental. They charge a little more, but it was totally worth it - no issues whatsoever. Highly recommended!

My husband and I did this for Mariner last August. We rented from Thrifty and everything went smoothly. It was the cheapest way for us to get to the port. It was just the 2 of us, so we could rent a small car and it would still hold our luggage. If you are considering a minivan or SUV, the savings may not be as significant. You could also look into a private transfer (i.e., a car or van that picks you up from the airport). If you have a group of 4, that will likely be cheaper than 4 roundtrip transfers from RCI. Those are $60 round trip, so the four of you will be paying $240 to wait for a crowded bus to fill up. You can find private transfers for all 4 of you for less than that. Hope this helps.

We recently reserved a full size car from Thrifty (only thing is you have to take shuttle from airport to rental site whereas Budget, Dollar and another I forget is just outside of the luggage area of airport) for $24/day. When we got to rental office they upgraded us to MINIVan for just $13/day more. I know it was actually alot more per day for Van when I was shopping for car. So just a thought and wait til you get to rental office.

There are shuttles that are fairly inexpensive (we took Arts Shuttle which is now shut down unfotunately) for under $100/4 people each way. This may be a good alternative.

Wow! Many thanks Pepsicruiser, for dropping the line about Arts Shuttle. We were booked with them for our July trip to MCO from PC. If I hadn't been browsing today, I might not have known they are closed down. Went ahead and rebooked with another shuttle service. Thanks for saving me an unnecessary headache on the last day of our vacation!

Wow! Many thanks Pepsicruiser, for dropping the line about Arts Shuttle. We were booked with them for our July trip to MCO from PC. If I hadn't been browsing today, I might not have known they are closed down. Went ahead and rebooked with another shuttle service. Thanks for saving me an unnecessary headache on the last day of our vacation!

NP It was on the boards a few days ago and maybe it was pulled or moved. They worked great for me but some kind of legal thing happened. GL and enjoy the cruise.

NP It was on the boards a few days ago and maybe it was pulled or moved. They worked great for me but some kind of legal thing happened. GL and enjoy the cruise.

It was pulled. :confused: It can be read about on the East Coast Departure board - Florida. "I Work in Port Canaveral" There is information over there on what other options there are for those of us that were going to use them. ;)

If you go here to the East Coast Departure Boards - Florida there is a thread called "I Work in Port Canaveral" where you can get all of the best information from someone who works there.

I have taken you to the last page where they are discussing things like this now. Any question you have can and will be answered by them. ;) Post this question over there. ;) It is a great source of information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=436720&page=199

Also, you can query "rental cars" or anything else that interests you about Port Canaveral and probably find an answer there.

It was pulled. :confused: It can be read about on the East Coast Departure board - Florida. "I Work in Port Canaveral" There is information over there on what other options there are for those of us that were going to use them. ;)

As I recall I say pulled or MOVED as I didn't do research to see where it went:D

As I recall I say pulled or MOVED as I didn't do research to see where it went:D

It was pulled, I had checked my post history to try to see where it was moved to but it was poofed. I would like to know where the quote that is being posted about art's is coming from. It is not the one liner on art's website.

Be sure to rent a car in Orlando especially if you're going in one day early as Port Canaveral and Cocoa Beach are both slow, lazy and beautiful. We were so impressed as it's by far the nicest and cleanest port city we've ever departed from. We rented from Budget. We picked up our luggage, rounded the corner and were floored when we saw a line that would have taken at least one to two hours at Budget. There must have been 50 people! After 10 minutes in line, I went to the front and ask them if we had the frequent renter number to expidite. And, we did. So we hot-footed it across the street and were in our car in less than 5 minutes. The message is be sure you're entered into their system as a registered user. It's so simple to get on the tollroad from the airport to Pt. Canaveral. Seems like it was only one right turn with little to no traffic. We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn which is right by the cruise terminal for a really cheap government rate - $105 a night. Free hot breakfast plus they'll watch you're car for free while you're crusing. We went to Fish Lips for dinner ... another wonderful experience with delicious food. We dropped the car at Budget around 10:30 am the following morning and were on the ship by 11:30 am. For the trip back, we used Art's Shuttle - thank goodness that went well. However, we got to the Orlando way too early for our 3pm flight home so next time we'll use Enterprise for the ride back to Orlando as it's an easy drive. The Mariner is a fabulous ship! Be sure to peek into the control room as Captain Johnny manuevers that big ship out of the tight ports. You'll see what I mean. And, hang over the decks to watch the last minute "runners" getting back aboard in Cozumel. It's a hoot!

Another thing for the rentals on airport property...let one person in your party go to the rental car desk while the other waits for luggage. You'll save alot of time and trouble getting to the desk early before the rest of your flight gets there. (that is unless you have a fast pass for rental co.)

I would like to save some money from renting for the week, and just rent 1 way to the port (arriving a day early) and perhaps 1 way back to the airport (4 people, 7 day Mariner cruise). Does this make sense? Hmmm. What have you done?

That's exactly what I did last year. Even renting for less than a day was cheaper than the shuttle. I dropped the luggage off at the port early then we returned the car and they shuttled us to the ship. Budget was the cheapest and closest to the port last year.

You'll love the Mariner!

I was able to get a weekly rate of about $156 (after taxes/fees) with Simply Wheelz (by Hertz). This weekly rate was about the same as separate rentals too and from. I hope this proves to be OK.

(Sorry about this being on the 'wrong' board, but there is clearly interest here.)

We've done two one-way rentals for each of our Mariner cruises. The first time we chose Budget and the second time we chose Avis - both had excellent service and I'd recommend either one of them. (We prefer to use one that is located inside the airport, for convenience).

There are loads of discount coupons available. Just google "Avis (or Budget) discount codes". Try the websites for Costco, BJs warehouse, etc. You don't have to be a member - just use the code when making the online reservation at the rental agency's website. You never have to produce your membership card.

Remember that the location you are returning the car is Cape Canaveral for Budget, and Cocoa Beach for Avis.

Archived