Catacombs of the Capuchins, Palermo - On My Own

Hello All:

We will be in Palermo on the Holland America Noordam in September and we are interested in visiting the Catacombs of the Capuchins on our own.

I searched the boards and could not come up with any specifics.

Has anyone done this? Did you take a cab, or maybe higher a cab for 2 hours to take you, wait and take you back?

Any information is appreciated, costs etc.

Thanks

Matt

My 79 year old Mum and I did it on our own last year. We caught the HOHO bus and got off at the stop indicated on the map issued with the ticket. I remember crossing the street by a large flower stall and walking to the left a short distance before taking a right turn. We walked about a mile up this road before following signs down a small road to the right. Sorry I can't be more specific but it was relatively easy to find, and an easy walk

We did this a few years ago on our own (we seldom take tours anywhere). As I recall, we simply used a local bus (there was a line that had a stop at the corner very close to the catacombs. We had walked into the center of Palermo (from the port) and got the bus info from a local tourist information office. The catacombs are in the city, so its not like you need to have a taxi wait (you could always get a taxi or bus back to the central part of town). Also keep in mind that they do close the place at noon and do not re-open until about 3, so you need to go there early in the day. The place is worthy or at least an hour or your time, and you will certainly understand the word "macabre" once you have visited.

Hank

Archived