Re-positioning cruise information needed

sweet sheep

For those of you who have taken re-positioning cruises before, I would like to know how you found them? On the web site or special mail or via travel agent?

I have never done that but wish to and need your advice on how to find them.

Thank you very much:)

Alot of the time they are called - Panama Canal. Some of the cruise sites do say - repositioning. and if you look in the Spring and Fall months, that is when they are.

HAL has a few long cruises every year that start out and come back to the US. Such as the Grand Voyages to the Med., Asia & Australia, and South America. There is the Voyage of the Vikings, the Amazon. and the Round the World Voyage.

I like them all, MaryAnn

Also, almost all of the trans-Atlantic cruises are re-positioning - moving the ships between North America and Europe. There is also usually a 'Voyage of the Vikings' that is r/t Boston or New York to Europe, thus the qualifier of 'almost'. ;)

You'll also find the Statendam usually moving to/from Australia/NZ at some point too.

They are all listed on the HAL site.

I have found mine on Hal's web site. Most repositioning cruises are either in May or September. A lot of them happen when Hal's fleet moves to Alaska, and then back to their normal ports for their Winter cruising. Some, as the other poster said are Panama cruises that leave from Alaska and go to like Ft. Lauderdale, that would be in September and the others go from the East Coast to Alaska thru the Panama and that is in May. The ones we usually take are call Pacific Coastal Cruises. They are either going from San Diego or Los Angles up to Alaska or visa versa. These cruises are short duration's, like 3 - 5 days. I don't know if there are any short duration cruises on the East Coast. There are though Trans Atlantic cruises that are repositioning I'm sure a TA could help you find a repositioning cruise for you.

If you look for a Canada cruise, you will also find Pacific Coastal cruises to and from Vancouver to Southern California in the Fall and the opposite direction in the Spring. Sometimes they do list Coastal cruises too.

I have found mine by searching HAL website - usually under Panama Canal -- the late couple of years the majority of the ships that leave for the Caribbean to go to Alaska have left in April.

For Example the Zuiderdam and Westerdam both leave around April 21 and April 19 in 2009 from Ft lauderdale. The Veendam also leaves around the same time from Tampa.

Then because the Alaskan season has been extended the last couple of years, many of the ships don't leave Alaska until around Sept 25.

You can also pick up a cruise planner at any travel agency for 2009 where you can see the cruises offered. But keep in mind, a few times a couple of the itineraries have been changed.

Most repositioning cruises are either in May or September.
Really it's more like April and October. This year the last AK-bound ship left Ft Lauderdale Apr 27, and we were on it. This fall the first east-bound ships (Volendam and Westerdam) leave Vancouver and Seattle on Sep 28 and 29.

Sorry, KK, I guess you were already typing while I was still looking in the catalog. :)

There are several travel web sites that allow you to input "repositioning" into your request. One of these sites is an advertisor on Cruise Critic, just don't know if I can list it (initials are VTG). I look at it frequently to see if there's something interesting to us. Many of these cruises are a great deal - - especially the transatlantic routes if you love sea days.

I am not a cruise veteran, BUT if one took a "repositioning cruise", would you not have to fly to the originating point of embarkation and THEN take a 2nd flight home from the destination? I'm just wondering if I have this whole "repositioning" thing correct? Help!

You are correct. These are not the same as a round trip where you start and stop in the same place. Sometimes the cruise line can offer a less expensive air fare especially on international flights. Other times you can book your own and do better.

I love repositioning cruises . . . generally they are a little longer, have more days at sea, and sometimes ports that are not usually visited on "regular" cruises. Generally the "per diem" rates are a little better too. If you've sailed before a lot of times there are specials for past guests on repositioning cruises,as they are more work to promote for the cruise line. Repositioning cruises are excellent for groups, since you have more time on the ship as a group together.

Regards, Richard

Archived