Port embarkation times?

melos

If the schedule says we're leaving a port at 9PM, what time do we have to be back on the ship? Do you give yourself a little leeway, or are they very strict?

Not for initial embarkation, but for ports we're visiting.

Thanks!

If the schedule says we're leaving a port at 9PM, what time do we have to be back on the ship? Do you give yourself a little leeway, or are they very strict?

Not for initial embarkation, but for ports we're visiting.

Thanks!

The time back on ship is 30minutes before scheduled departure of the port. No leeway. They will have the time posted in the daily program and at the exit of the ship. You will miss the boat if you're not back. The only exception is if you are on a Holland America Shore Excursion, then they wait.

Our experience has been that all passengers are to be onboard 30 minutes before the ship leaves the port. So...a 9:00 p.m. departure from the port would mean that everyone will be requested to be back onboard by 8:30.

We had a close call in Grand Turk and my son did not get back to the ship until 20 minutes before the ship was scheduled to depart. They let him on and I was soooooo relieved. I don't think that they want to leave anyone but I have heard of people arriving as the ship is leaving the pier and the ship does not stop for them. Hope this helps. Cherie

We never cut it that close when we are out and about on our own. WE always try to get back at least an hour before the ship sails.

We have seen people miss the ship - also saw some crew members miss the ship.

On our Veendam cruises in March, the Captain blew the ship's whistle several times to warm passengers and crew that we were leaving. And we did see passengers and crew members running to get on the ship at the last minute.

We have been on a few HAL tours that were delayed and the ship did have to wait for us. On a recent Westerdam cruise, in Puerto Chiapas, one of the tour buses literaly got stuck in the mud and we had to wait about 1/2 hour for them to get back.

Archived