Walk for the Cure walk????

I understand that this is done on all 7 day sailings, can someone tell me how this works? We will be on the Glory.

The Walk for the Cure is normally done on the last day of the cruise. The fee is ten dollars, eight of which goes to breast cancer research. The fee is charged to your Sail and Sign card. You get a t-shirt and a wrist band.

You'll walk a given number of laps around the jogging track, enough to equal about one mile.

Obviously, it's a very, very worthy cause.

We took part in it on the Valor on May 17th, which was our last sea day. It's called "On Deck for the Cure"; Carnival's been doing it for about a year and has raised over $250,000 so far.

I was disappointed that more people didn't participate. Dominika (assistant cruise director, pictured below) said she really doesn't think Carnival pushes it enough, and asked that we mention that on our comment card. Truthfully, I'd have to agree. I barely noticed it in the Capers. In any event, there were about 20 of us up there, and we did our 9 laps and then drank pink lemonade!

301128833_y8zpk-M.jpg

And we're off...

301129029_adosh-M.jpg

When we cruised the Miracle (5/17)...there was a flyer explaining the walk around day 2 in Capers...Then nothing about it until the last sea day when the walk was held...They could have sent another flyer mid week as a reminder. Our CD did make an announcement, on the day it was held, and it conveniently was held 1/2 hour before his disembarkation talk...as he said we will be done by 11am....in time for everyone to attend his talk (lol)

I understand that this is done on all 7 day sailings, can someone tell me how this works? We will be on the Glory.

Walking is 'allowed' on any cruise on any ship, no permission is required.. ;)

So feel free to walk as much as your little heart desires..! :)

Guest LADY TORTOLA

I just got off the Miracle and on our second night we got a Pink paper with our Capers explaining all about the walk and it said to keep checking the Capers later in the week for the day and time. We checked everynight and found it to be on our last full day at sea at in the morning. The line at the formalities shop to sign up was very long as there was about 100 people walking so I would recommend to get there a bit early! We all put our t-shirts and wristbands on and gathered for our walk around the deck. Our cruise director started us off and by the end we were just walking and talking to everyone having so much fun we did not realize we had walked a mile! It was one of the best things we did on our cruise and we would strongly recommend everyone to check their Capers for the "On Deck for the Cure" and take part in it.

How cool! When did they start this program? I'll be sure to participate on my March 2009 Glory cruise.

Cindy

This was implimented on Carnival about a year ago. It started on Carnivals sister company about two years ago on Holland America Line. I think it is also now being done on Princess.

We (a group of us from Saints and Sinners) did this on our group cruise on the Liberty last October. The turn out that day ship wide was almost 400 people. People who couldn't do the walk also put up the $10 donation. They sat on the side and cheered us on. As mentioned before you get a t-shirt and a wrist band. $8 goes to The Cure and Carnival keeps $2 for the cost.

This is a 1 kilometer walk which is 6/10 of a mile. Takes about 30 minutes out of your day with the thank you before and after the walk by the cruise staff. Water and pink lemonade are provided.

It will make anyone who does this feel great.....;)

I do the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer every year in DC (39 miles!). So, this thread really grabbed my attention! Is this only done on the Valor? Or, is it fleet wide with Carnival? And, I'll be taking a closer look at the Valor for our next vacation just because of this cause. Kudos, Carnival!!!

I was thrilled to see this event taking place. It is very near and dear to me, as I am now a four month survivor and will be a five month survivor when we take our cruise next month. :D

carnival.com/ondeckforthecure

Archived