Age Demographic

Deckhawk

Hi Everyone,

I have been on over 15 cruises, but mostly on Carnival, Royal Caribb and Princess but never in Europe. My travel agent suggested Azamara as a possible option for a 10 day European cruise. Here are my questions:

• Average Age - Our group is between 25 - 35. I have nothing against older travelers, but I don't want to get onto a ship where the average age is near "death." What is the normal age demographic on an Azamara European cruise?
  • Entertainment - How is the night entertainment on the Quest? Does everything shut down at midnight or can we expect to have some sort of nightlife in the disco/lounges?
  • Does anyone have any recommendations for European cruises that say in port later in the night? I think this gives more of a chance to truely experience the culure of a port. For example, I have been on some cruises that stayed in Puerto Rico until 2:00am, this allowed for a nice dinner and some drinks in San Juan.

Thanks for your answers.

R

I'm sure recent passengers will respond shortly to let you know the age mix. I'm expecting the demographic to be a good fit for us, but we're in our 50s.

Something to consider - some Azamara European itineraries feature overnights in some ports. So you could find your nightlife ashore on those nights.

Happy cruising, whatever you decide.

Lisa

Since Azamara has modeled itself after Oceania I would doubt that you would find more than a handful of people your age, Our experience has been that the entertainment is very limited after 11 or 11:30. The age demographic dictates that. From your questions you probably would be happier on one of the mass market lines which cruises in Europe. Good luck in whatever choice you make.:)

My wife and I are cruising on the Azamara Quest in August on the Black Sea itinerary. I am 47 and my wife 46.

Being much older than you are we "near death" as you so eloquently put it?

According to a report out last year, the average age of cruisers is 42.

[*]Average Age - Our group is between 25 - 35. I have nothing against older travelers, but I don't want to get onto a ship where the average age is near "death." What is the normal age demographic on an Azamara European cruise?

[*]

We'll be on Az in the fall and are in our mid-50's (hoping to keep 'death at bay' for a while longer';) ...I think you would enjoy the cruise lines that you've been on more rather than trying Azamara. A European cruise is a big expense...it's good that you are investigating rather than just making a quick decision.

Hi Everyone,

I have been on over 15 cruises, but mostly on Carnival, Royal Caribb and Princess but never in Europe. My travel agent suggested Azamara as a possible option for a 10 day European cruise. Here are my questions:

• Average Age - Our group is between 25 - 35. I have nothing against older travelers, but I don't want to get onto a ship where the average age is near "death." What is the normal age demographic on an Azamara European cruise?
  • Entertainment - How is the night entertainment on the Quest? Does everything shut down at midnight or can we expect to have some sort of nightlife in the disco/lounges?
  • Does anyone have any recommendations for European cruises that say in port later in the night? I think this gives more of a chance to truely experience the culure of a port. For example, I have been on some cruises that stayed in Puerto Rico until 2:00am, this allowed for a nice dinner and some drinks in San Juan.

Thanks for your answers.

R

Hi Deckhawk !

Based on your requirements, I agree that Azamara may not be the line for you. The passengers tend to be somewhat in the more Senior range, and there is very little nightlife at Midnight. I would suggest looking into Celebrity.

Personally speaking, I am in my late 40's, and I LOVE sailing with Seniors. I have made many wonderful friends over the years, and always find it a pleasure to be in their company. I almost always sail with My Parents and some of our relatives who are in their 70's and 80's, and we always have a great time.

"Near Death" you say ? Sorry, but I disagree. Each and Every day is a gift of Life. I wish you all the best finding a Cruise that fits your goals.

Great feedback, thank you. I think I will probably suggest that we stick to Royal. And just to clarify, 40, 50s or even 60th is not near death. I actually like cruising with this demographic. I think it add a sense of class to a cruise line. One of my biggest complaints with Carnival is that the quality is comprimised because they have so many children that they cannot control it (and the cruises are just...cheap).

However, I about 15 year ago I was on a cruise through the Panama Canal and 4 people on the 17 day cruise went from "near death" to death. It was actually very sad. :( All were very old.

I agree with Andy re. looking into Celebrity. Our last 2 cruises were with them in 2005 and 2007 and they were great with very few children, however this was probably due to the itineraries (Baltic and Arctic Circle/North Cape).

I also like staying up late and found the entertainment very good.

If you are wanting to cruise in Europe have you considered P and O Cruises who sail from Sothampton, England and have 2 adult only ships.

Deckhawk -

Azamara may have an itinerary to your liking and matching your life style, but please stay away from us old folks (mid-70s). We would prefer not to have young whipper snappers (below 60) disturb our morning naps and afternoon siestas. Remember, it's "lights out" for us at 21:00 (9 pm). LOL

Seriously, you may indeed be better off with another line.

YOU CANNOT REALLY BE SERIOUS UNLESS YOU HAVE NOT RESEARCHED

THIS CRUISELINE.

YOUR AGE GROUP IS MUCH MORE SUITED TO THE CELEBRITY CLASS

SHIPS. YOU WILL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIVES ON THESE SHIPS AS

THEY FULLFILL ALL YOUR REQUIREMENTS. WE SAILED THE MILLENIUM IN

2004 AGED 54 AND 52 AND HAD A BALL ! NOW WE ARE MUMMIES 57 & 55

AND FORCED TO GO ON THE QUEST IN OCT 08 TO TURKEY AND EGYPT.

QUESTION ? HOW DOES ONE YOUR AGE ALREADY GO ON 15 CRUISES ?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your answers.

R

We are sailing Azamara in the fall, we are in our late 40's, I am 49.

I love the quieter, more relaxed attitude of a mature generation.

In general I have found co-sailer's to be super friendly, and very entertaining.

No there is not rock climbing, belly buster contests, or late night dancing,etc.

But we are not looking for that, we are looking to relax, see the ports, culture, and people of different continents.

If you are looking for a more refined, mature crowd, with world travel knowledge that you can learn from then this is your cruise line.

Fun and games you should probably looks somewhere else.:)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your answers.

R

I'm 31. I just got back from the 16-days Western-Northern Europe Itinerary trip (Barcelona-Copenhagen) with my mother (my wife couldnt make it) ... There were just a few people around our age (25-35), actually just 5 of us. The cruise line is targeted to the well traveled people, which most of them are between 50-80 years old, I like to meet them, sometimes they are better cruise fellows than people of our age ... Azamara has been one of the best cruise ships Ive ever cruised (including the 6 stars ships category that Ive been to).

We stayed overnights in Bordeaux (France) and London, I met so many nice people and had a lot of fun with the locals in lounges/clubs/bars. If you want to go to Europe looking for a more diverse demographic age range and onboard nightlife you should check Carnival, NCL or Celebrity ... NOT Azamara.

Enjoy ...

If you, Deckhawk (hope your screen name does not mean you scout the deck for the best deck chairs and then "reserve" them), were happy on Royal Caribbean, Princess and Carnival, then might I suggest you stick with them.

Those lines are much higher energy, higher energy than Celebrity.

Personally, we prefer Celebrity and will probably love Azamara. We are both in our fifties.

YOU CANNOT REALLY BE SERIOUS UNLESS YOU HAVE NOT RESEARCHED

THIS CRUISELINE.

YOUR AGE GROUP IS MUCH MORE SUITED TO THE CELEBRITY CLASS

SHIPS. YOU WILL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIVES ON THESE SHIPS AS

THEY FULLFILL ALL YOUR REQUIREMENTS. WE SAILED THE MILLENIUM IN

2004 AGED 54 AND 52 AND HAD A BALL ! NOW WE ARE MUMMIES 57 & 55

AND FORCED TO GO ON THE QUEST IN OCT 08 TO TURKEY AND EGYPT.

QUESTION ? HOW DOES ONE YOUR AGE ALREADY GO ON 15 CRUISES ?

While I am no longer a "spring chicken," I had a dozen cruises (including a 6 week cruise of the South Pacific) under my belt by the time I graduated high school. I was lucky enough to be the child of a cruise line employee, but I'm passing on the cruise experience to my granddaughter next year when she turns 2. While I know she won't remember a thing about the trip, her parents will and the photographs as well.

You and your group would be happier on a Carnival type ship. Also since a cruise is to enjoy and relax your attitude would probably be showing and it would make the "near death" crowd uncomfortable.

We have sailed on Renaissance and Oceana which utilizes the same type of ship and cruise experience and the lack of entertainment would not be to your expectations. Your travel agent should have realized that Azamara would not be a good mix for you.

• 1 month later...

I agree with the above posts. You would be much happier on one of the mass market ships. Oceania, Regent and Azamara are really geared to the 50+ crowd who are not so interested in the entertainment but rather the casual luxury and quiet surroundings. The great food doesn't hurt either.

However, I about 15 year ago I was on a cruise through the Panama Canal and 4 people on the 17 day cruise went from "near death" to death. It was actually very sad. :( All were very old.

Not to make light of it, but a death is one of the most traumatic events for the family. However, given my druthers, I'd rather depart while on a cruise than in a hospital or (heaven forbid) in a hospice. (No disrespect, cruisePRN. Don't know how you do it). I presume very few people 'near death' would be in a condition to go on a cruise. Therefore can one assume that those deaths on the Panama Canal cruise were rather sudden and unexpected? What a way to go! If you can't die in your own bed at home, what's next best? While you are doing something wonderful, such as cruising.

Archived