Has a hurricane blocked your way from NY?

Has anyone been on a ship from NY that was heading south in hurricane season and had a storm in it's path? What happened? Big detour? DH is looking at a cruise in Sept. and is wondering what the ship would do?

Has anyone been on a ship from NY that was heading south in hurricane season and had a storm in it's path? What happened? Big detour? DH is looking at a cruise in Sept. and is wondering what the ship would do?

yes we turned left(to Canada) instead of right to Bermuda....and had a great time anyway,.

We were re-routed due to 9-11. We were supposed to sail out of NYC, but the port was closed. So, we sailed out of Boston instead. Princess paid for us to go there, instead. Also, a hurricane devastated Bermuda the week before. So, we were delayed by one day. Princess paid for the hotel in Boston for the one night. But, we were still able to go to Bermuda (1 day shorter for the itinerary). But, it was still beautiful.

I don't really care where I go. As long as I'm on a cruise ship, I'm happy!!

Not a hurricane but a nor-easter in February caused us to change course and slow down so much that we missed our first port of call, San Juan. Some of the crew said it was the biggest waves they had seen on the Dawn and many were sick.

I sat in the Spinnaker bar (deck 12) and led the 'wave' party ----we did the wave every-time a big one splashed the windows.

Thank you all; I'm glad you still had a good time on your altered cruises.

We were in big waves on our '05 cruise when sailing between two hurricanes, and we would totally understand the missing ports or switched itineraries.

Thank you all; I'm glad you still had a good time on your altered cruises.

We were in big waves on our '05 cruise when sailing between two hurricanes, and we would totally understand the missing ports or switched itineraries.

When you were in these big waves was it constant or something that you sailed through and that was the end of it? We are looking at cruising from the NY port but the prices are unGodly for prime sailing time. I was looking at a Sept 2009 cruise from there which was more reasonable but I'd hate to be dealing with nightmare waves the entire cruise. Thanks :)

When you were in these big waves was it constant or something that you sailed through and that was the end of it? We are looking at cruising from the NY port but the prices are unGodly for prime sailing time. I was looking at a Sept 2009 cruise from there which was more reasonable but I'd hate to be dealing with nightmare waves the entire cruise. Thanks :)

We had rough seas the first 3 or 4 days of our cruise. We left from Port Canaveral in Florida and sailed between hurricanes Rita and Phillipe on the way to St. Thomas. The volleyball court / basketball / golf deck didn't open until our last day at sea because of high winds. The first couple days on board we appreciated the railing in the hallways, there was a little bit of drunken walking going on before we got to the bars.:rolleyes: Some passengers were affected worse than others. We were lucky and only felt a little wonky one morning, most likely from the two different air pressure systems from the storms. We figured that was as bad as we could probably get and we've gone back the following two years also in September and both out of Florida still.

We had rough seas the first 3 or 4 days of our cruise. We left from Port Canaveral in Florida and sailed between hurricanes Rita and Phillipe on the way to St. Thomas. The volleyball court / basketball / golf deck didn't open until our last day at sea because of high winds. The first couple days on board we appreciated the railing in the hallways, there was a little bit of drunken walking going on before we got to the bars.:rolleyes: Some passengers were affected worse than others. We were lucky and only felt a little wonky one morning, most likely from the two different air pressure systems from the storms. We figured that was as bad as we could probably get and we've gone back the following two years also in September and both out of Florida still.

Thanks for the reply back :) I'd like to think I'd take it all in stride as you did. I had visions of dishes falling and the ship tilting so I'm glad it wasn't that way at all. When we sailed the Liberty in April we had high winds and they did close off the upper decks a few times. That was my first time of returning home and feeling like I was on a ship for a week until my balance went back to normal :)

We hit a huge storm & then a hurricane crossing from the Azores to New York in 2002. It was fun & exciting, especially when the huge windows on the promenade deck blew out.

Our arrival was delayed about 12 hours.

Steve

Archived