Dinner Attire Questions

JessiMommy

I have a question to add to this post... I too am a first time cruiser. We leave this coming Saturday on the Glory.

What category of dress is required/expected for the "Supper Club". We want to eat in the Emerald Room atleast 1 time on our trip. Is that Formal or Informal?

I know that it is NOT casual.....

Please help, we are starting to get our clothes ready and laid out for our trip. We have alot to do, BUT I can't wait!!! Saturday will not come fast enough!!!!

thanks,

Tracy

Thanks hstrybuf,

I hope it is the same on the Glory. Does anyone know if the Glory has the same policy as the Legend? My husband would like the idea of not having to wear a tie. (For him, wearing a jacket is not a problem, but a tie is.............) He is already packing 2 for the formal nights, he said that is enough!

thanks,

Tracy

Okay, I know I'm about to be BLASTED but here goes. I am taking my DH on the Holiday in December for our 27th Anniversary. He doesn't like cruising (he's only been on one) and especially doesn't like to dress up. We are not taking formal or semi-formal clothes he will be wearing Dockers and a Nice Polo shirt every night at dinner, even on the formal night. I have seen everything on a cruise at dinner and I think that whatever makes you happy, Go For It. I want him to be happy and enjoy himself. AND no we won't go to the Lido deck for dinner because I don't want to miss the Lobster and Filet.

Okay, I know I'm about to be BLASTED but here goes. I am taking my DH on the Holiday in December for our 27th Anniversary. He doesn't like cruising (he's only been on one) and especially doesn't like to dress up.

Maybe you'll want to blast me, but why on earth would you treat your husband to an anniversary gift he doesn't like...do you dislike him???

Honestly --- people watching is one of the perks of a cruise!

When we cruise, we typically dress for the occasion. We always have a private table, and take advantage of this fact by being able to fully speak our minds to each other - and this includes making comments regarding interesting individuals that we see walking by or seated near us... the kind of "fun talk" that one can only make when not trying to act a certain way at a table with strangers...:D

... no doubt we are also, at times, someone's "topic" too... that's life!

BTW... Dockers and a nice shirt with deck shoes is my typical non-formal night attire.... on formal night I do don a jacket - sans tie... I can count on both hands the number of times that I had to endure that noose... LOL

Tom

My husband does not wear a tie PERIOD. He does have a western tie (or atleast that is what I call it on that slides up and looks like a rope) He will wear this with his jacket.

But, on this cruise he wore a nice pair of khaki pants and a nice polo on formal night. His philosphy he paid his price for his cruise and he will dress nicely but he will go to the dining room to eat is supper comfortably. I don't see a problem with it. A lot of people don't dress up in their life off the ship why go overboard on. We work for our money. Now I don't agree with short shorts, tank tops, swimsuits. If you wouldn't wear it in a nice restaurant in you home town don't wear it on the ship.

Of course this is our personal opinion:D

It's called FORMAL NIGHT. It's not called "wear whatever you want to because you paid for the cruise and of course can do what you darn well please" night. It is called FORMAL for a reason. I'm guessing that when these people get an invite to a formal wedding, they wear Khaki's :rolleyes: People seem to make up their own rules to suit them... at least throw a tie on FTLOG. Or eat somewhere else rather than disrespecting other passengers by blatantly wearing something that is not considered even CLOSE to formal... I had an etiquette teacher years back that used to say "always remember that khaki rhymes with...." :D LOL, I will wear them, when appropriate, and that is NOT on formal night, or to a formal wedding, or a formal restaurant... Just another one of the reasons that Carnival has gotten the rep they have, some might refer to it as a floating wal-mart... sometimes when reading the boards, I can see why....

GC...I agree with everything you just said.

It never ceases to amaze me the "we paid for it' attitude that people have...and I am always amazed at the women who think it's OK that their husbands are like that....everyone is different, but that would bother the crap out of me...enough to not have married my DH if he had that "I don't wear suits or ties" attitude...no matter how great a guy he is in every other way. It is just a lack of class and a childish attitude.

The way I see it is it's just a grown man taking a temper tantrum...wearing a suit can not be that uncomfortable....for all you men that think it is, try wearing an underwire bra every day.......

wimps. :rolleyes:

Good question, MrPete. Kids in the hot tubs, babies in the pool, cutting in line, hogging chairs. All the usual topics. Drunks puking all over the ship, loud and obnoxious neighbors and tablemates. Open air pot smoking. We all paid for our cruise, well most of us did, so let's all do what we want! Chaos could be fun! Wonder how many of us would be put off at the first port? :rolleyes:

I hate that attitude.

We work for our money.

As does everyone else:rolleyes: and I do believe it's called a Bolo Tie?

Halos - An underwire bra? I'll take that one to committee :D

It never ceases to amaze me the "we paid for it' attitude that people have:rolleyes:

It's simply called DISRESPECT. No other word for it. Same as parking in handicap or fire lane spaces, going on the 10 or less line with 11 items.

I wonder how these people would feel if they had a formal affair or even a wedding, and people showed up in shoelaces and dockers, simply because dressing up is too uncomfortable. Realize that you've gained some weight and buy your size. How can clothes be uncomfotable?

Or how about being invited to a Halloween costume party, and showing up without a costume? Disrespect.

And then they wonder when people stare at them on formal night (same people that wear their underwear in the halls the night they put their luggage out). Nothing more conforting than sitting at a dining table, with all dressed formally, and then there's the table mates dressed in their Hawaiian shirts, "cause they look great!"

Disrespect.

[quote name='hstrybuf']Me too liv, but at the time I just wasn't up to posting what I [b]really[/b] thought. :rolleyes: Everyone else has done a good job though and I echo their opinions.[/QUOTE]
No...no Hystry I wasn't talking about yours. I was talking about the it's my cruise I'll do what I want attitude :)

I always say that class has nothing to do with money..and I believe that with all my heart. The problem is that for us folks that like class...but don't really have a LOT of money...we need to sail on the mainstream cruise lines instead of the luxury ones, where this debate would NEVER happen....so I guess the moral is that you don't have to have money to have class...but you obviously need a good amount of money to surround yourself with class. :(

And as SOON as I"m done paying for college...and the inevitable weddings..... :eek: I plan on surrounding myself with people that would never think to wear Khakis on Formals night. Call me a snob. I'll cop to it.

2 Categories - [b]Formal [/b]and [b]Casual. [/b]That's it! :eek:

[quote name='JessiMommy'][font=Century Gothic][size=3]Ok I'm the OP of this thread & had no idea what I asked would turn into a conversation about jeans... :confused: since my original question has not really been answered I'll pose it a different way. If we wear the appropriate dark suit/tie and gown/cocktail dress for the 2 formal nights is it assumed that all other nights we can wear things such as slacks/blouse or pants suit etc for me, slacks dress shirt or polo for DH? Is there just those 2 categories of dress? I want to make sure we bring the appropriate clothes.[/size][/font][/QUOTE]

[quote name='MrPeteLI']It wouldn't happen here either if the rules were enforced. The answer would simply be "They won't let you in. Wear what you like."[/QUOTE]
Exactly and I'd love to see this happen.

Halos - Will I be classless when I order 2 apps of Escargot?:D

[quote name='livtojump']Exactly and I'd love to see this happen.

Halos - Will I be classless when I order 2 apps of Escargot?:D[/QUOTE]

No way Cowby! You can certainly be classy and order two...or three... :D

Archived