hand sanitizer

zippnby

Does Carnival offer guests a shot of hand sanitizer before entering the dining rooms or other restaurants? Princess was actually quite anal with the use of hand sanitzer. It was pretty nice. I think it cuts down on people getting sick due to cross contamination. On my last carnival cruise they did not have this practice in place. I was just wonder if Carnival has adopted this practice

Thanks-

No unless there is a known problem, very rarely in other words.

Its been pretty much proven those hand sanitizers dont work anyway from what Iv read in the news.

I think Carnival has one of the lowest rates of ship board noro virus reported. There have been links to show which cruiselines had the highest rates, and it wasnt carnival.

Does Carnival offer guests a shot of hand sanitizer before entering the dining rooms or other restaurants? Princess was actually quite anal with the use of hand sanitzer. It was pretty nice. I think it cuts down on people getting sick due to cross contamination. On my last carnival cruise they did not have this practice in place. I was just wonder if Carnival has adopted this practice

Thanks-

No they do not, and it's widely accepted in the medical community that the presence of hand sanitizer stations actually gives people a false sense of safety and leads to people not being as dilligent in frequent washing.

Additionally, even most alcohol based sanitizers are not effective against viruses including the Norovirus.

Have you ever seen hand sanitizer stations in hospital cafeterias, or any self serve restaurants???

I feel like a comedian telling a joke, but ok folks, do any of you laugh when you read that you are supposed to wash your hands under running water for 2 minutes or whatever its supposed to be ...... and you are there trying to hit that motion sensor and keep the water running steadily???

it's widely accepted in the medical community that the presence of hand sanitizer stations actually gives people a false sense of safety and leads to people not being as dilligent in frequent washing.

I don't know about your medical community, but they're pretty common in my medical community...as is handwashing.

I don't know if we had a problem (didn't hit me if we did). There was a sign that said that the hand sanitizer machine was not meant as a replacement for hand washing with good old soap and water but that it was there as a convenience. This is not the first time I've seen them though. :)

Mike

Thanks-

Just because I'm such a nerd about infection control, here's a link to a Center for Disease Control fact sheet on NoroVirusand cruise ships: http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/norovirus/Norovirus.htm

and here's an excerpt that you'll appreciate Zipp:

"How to prevent getting and spreading noroviruses

..Wash hands often. Wash hands after using the bathroom or changing diapers and before eating or preparing food. Wash hands more often when someone in your home is sick

..Avoid shaking hands during outbreaks

..Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer along with handwashing"

These Units which dispense the type of Alcohol which does cleanse some particulates off your skin..does help as imagine as before so many did not even use this...

The Viral and Germ Infections ..mostly may be washed off your skin by good HOT Water and Soap washing at least for two minutes briskly...

But as you all have seen not many brush there teeth properly ...

The Alcohol is as effective as a pap Smear is accurate...

Have you ever seen staff use the W.C. and not wash...:mad: These have to be reported as this is precisely what helps cause mass outbreaks aboard the ships.

Carnival has done very well in training crew members on most of there Cruise lines..

When using the Lifts (Elevators) use your knuckles... as how often do people put those in any oraface ((?))

Shaking Hands.. well elbows work well too ...Stopping any more contamination is so important to kill the Virus and/or germs..

I saw earlier someone mentioned on this thread that Hospitals did not have the dispensers...

I just arrived home from one of the countries best and they have them all over. In ER and ICU CCU etc...

Other facilities i go to have these as well. They are not there to look at....:eek:

Last July on the Victory there were hand sanitizers everywhere.. A free standing thingamajig (LOL) that dispensed the gel...

Outside the buffets, restaurants etc

This May on the Miracle.. not a one to be seen!

Have you ever seen hand sanitizer stations in hospital cafeterias, or any self serve restaurants???

Yes, our hospital has them in the cafeteria. Of course washing your hands is the most important step, but there are a lot of other pathogens out there against which sanitizers are very effective.

Hello all...

We were on the Pride 2 weeks ago and they had the hand sanitizer wipes at the beginning of all of the buffet lines. Meant for you to wipe and then get your tray.

My kids (10 and 13) called me a germ-a-phobe most of the trip. I was on them about hand washing and using the hand sanitizer. I had heard that the hand sanitizer alone is not enough to kill the norovirus.... but it can't hurt to use both right?:D

But they were paranoid about the Noro virus the whole 2 weeks. They even took the little dishes of snacks out of the bars.

But I stopped using the hand sanitizers the day I noticed the number of people rubbing their hands all over the spout to get sanitizer. Ugh!

Archived