Westerdam vs. Rotterdam vs. Eurodam

Stevero2

I have posted this as a response to another thread, but, to play it safe, I am posting it as a new thread here.

Last year, we sailed on the Maasdam and hit a tropical storm at sea, quite unusual for December, but truly a terrrible experience, particularly on a small ship like that.

This year, we may have a choice between 12 days to the Panama Canal on the Rotterdam, which is also, evidently a small and older ship, 7 days to Aruba and Curacao on the Westerdam, a larger ship that has only a 92 health rating and a history of Norovirus outbreaks or the new Eurodam with the same itinerary. For a combination of smooth sailing and, although not totally predictable, healthy sailing, which would be the best bet and, if unavailable, the second best?

We just got off the Westerdam. It was a healthy sailing. We went on the kitchen tour and it looked good to me.

It was smooth except for one evening.

I was told by someone who should know that ships aren't using the stabilizers as much because they use a lot more fuel. We had the stabilizers out on the rough night.

I really liked the Westerdam. Great food. Wonderful service.

I think you are asking which is the better chance of not happening, not winning the big lottery prize, or not getting hit by lightning. Both are extremely rare occurences.

That being said, rough seas in winter (gee imagine that?) is the greater threat than getting Norvirus on a ship. The size of the ship matters some, but not a huge amount when you condsider there isn't a wide range of ship sizes in the choices you suggest.

All in all, pick the intinery you wish to go on and can afford. Don't base it on chances of rough seas or Norovirus, as those are too infinite to predict and base such a decision on. Remember, you are buying a vacation, not a worry festival.

I checked on norovirus outbreaks on the Westerdam. According to the CDC site:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

There has only been one reported norovirus outbreak (2007) on the Westerdam since it was commissioned in 2004.

The Zaandam and the Ryndam look like the most norovirus troubled HAL ships.

I also looked at the health report. I'm hoping and guessing that they would be in tiptop shape now after having that report. I imagine they took immediate action because it is a relatively low score. Their previous score, 6 months earlier, was 97 0r 98.

You must have been in the same tropical storm that we were in sailing on the WESTERDAM in Dec. of last year!!!!!! With Hurricane force winds it would be a rough sailing on practically all ships. It was a freak thing as has happened many times during the later half of last year into this year. It is La Nina.

Anyway, we liked the Westerdam. We have found in cruising over the years that Stewards both Cabin and Dining are the luck of the draw. We've had almost all good service from both. We liked Jason the cruise director. But my point is go with the one you want and an itinerary you want for the right price and then don't worry about what has been said. There are still plenty of good reveiws out there with the bad. We were very satisfied. So go and enjoy yourself!!!! Have a great cruise whichever one you choose!!!!!!!

I was on the Westerdam in May and there was no health problems. It is a fairly large ship and with one reasonably rough night, it seemed very stable (of course it helped being in a midship cabin lower level). Crew was very friendly and helpful, all-in-all a great ship. Did you check the member cruise reviews? That might be helpful in your decision. I, personally prefer a larger ship because they seem more stable in rough seas (this is coming from a person who is prone to sea-sickness).

I would pick the Rotterdam over the Westerdam any day ! The Rotterdam is a beautiful ship and is Hal's flag ship. :)

The Eurodam is brand new and could be interesting.

Having been on both Rotterdam (4 times) and Westerdam once, I have to say that there are advantages to each. The Rotterdam is older than Westerdam by 6 years, and about 170 ft shorter but is not as small as maasdam which we've also been on.

We crossed the Atlantic both ways on Rotterdam, experienced several encounters with rough seas, and loved every minute of it. I would not use the size or age as a basis for comparison. We've never wxperienced a code red on any HAL ship but have only done 2 cruises during the "Noro-season". Just missed a code on the Noordam by one cruise in Jan_Feb of this year.

I would look at itinerary, cabin availability, price, length of cruise, season, etc. We've had a few negative experiences on the HAL ships we've been on but none was ignored by the powers that be, or was a deal breaker. I wouldn't hestitate to try any HAL ship; we're less likely to go on some anytime soon due to their presently set itineraries but perhaps in the future. Our next cruise is a transatlantic on the Eurodam.

If you have any other questions please ask.

GN

Archived