Opinions on Disney

simo

About a year ago we had put down a deposit on a Disney cruise (7-night) that sails Oct. 4 - it is about $3,000 for 4 of us. It was $599 for 1st and 2nd and then a little less for 3rd and 4th. We are contrasting this with a 4-night on something like Monarch, Sovereign or Imagination for roughly $1200-1400.

Our kids will be 9 and 6 at the time. The Disney cruise is on a week that they would miss 6 days of school including traveling to get there. The other cruises they would miss 3 days of school as we would go during a shortened week (not an option with the Disney cruise as it is just this one week that was the deal).

We are debating what to do. Part of me wonders if this is the cheapest we could ever hope to go on a Disney cruise for - as I have not seen prices this low since then. Also, if the kids would be the perfect age to go on this cruise now - they are not huge Disney fans but they would like all the Disney stuff I'm sure. The other side is that they will probably like any cruise - and so maybe the extra money and time off school would not be worth it. We are also doing a Disney land vacation in 2009.

Opinions and advice needed. Thanks in advance.

You can't compare the price of a 7 day cruise with a 3-4 day cruise on the older ships, Sov, Monarch, Imagination.

I've been on Sov twice, Magic once and Imagination's sister ships twice. I had to make the decision between taking Wonder (3 days ending our Walt Disney World Vacation) and taking Sov.

I chose Wonder. For September, the 3 day Sov (suite) and 3 day Wonder (Verandah) were pretty much the same price. So we went with Disney.

If you don't think the kids will like All Things Disney, then why don't you look into 7 days on a newer RCCL or Carnival ship?

I wasn't clear - I was comparing the price because we just went on Monarch (4-day). Prior to that we had been on 7-day or 9-day cruises and thought that was the way to go. We were pleasantly surprised with the 4-day and thought it was a great (and much cheaper) vacation. We also thought it might be plenty long for the kids and that 7 days (8 including travel) might border on being too long of a vacation for them.

The 7-day newer RCCL ships look wonderful - and are about the same price as this Disney cruise. It is coming down to the question of whether this is a price on Disney we won't be able to find again - vs. being able to take 2 smaller cruises for the price of one big cruise.

Don't know if that makes sense.

Thanks - any more advice welcome.

We have been on two Disney cruises. In fact they were our first two cruises and what got us hooked on cruising in the first place. First let me say that a$3000 for a family for a 7 day Disney cruise is a great deal. I don't even want to say what we paid for our first Disney cruise as it was outrageous, but back then I didn't realize there was such a price differenc. And you know what? I'm glad I didn't because it might have deterred us from taking a cruise with Disney and that would be something I would regret.

Disney cruises are definitely unique. You just can't get those special Disney touches on any other line and your kids are the perfect ages to enjoy it to the fullest. In a year or two, your nine year old will probably be too old to really get the same benefit. I say do it now and enjoy it. We have taken our kids out of school for a week here and there for family vacations and never had a problem. In my opinion a Disney cruise is something I would recommend any family do at least once. Now that our kids are older and we have discovered other lines and the value they offer, I would probably not to a Disney cruise again, at least for the prices they charge. But I am so glad we took the two Disney cruises and I don't regret them for a moment. We have some really special family memories that couldn't ever be duplicated on any other mass market cruiseline.

We are now grandparents, having raised 6 children to productive adulthood, and all of them survived and enjoyed special vacations away from school. Of course, we always pre-arranged with teachers so they had appropriate homework to do while on these trips and we made certain they did it.

Our children are grown now, and with children of their own. Each year, we have been fortunate with treating one family to an off-season vacation. (The homework rule still applies.) One of these was a 4-night Bahamas cruise on Disney Wonder in December 2007. The children on this trip were ages 6, 7 and 10 at the time of the cruise.

They, their parents, and we all loved this cruise. Disney may not always offer a bargain cruise price-wise, but you seem to have found one. The ship quality and the activities, both on-board and ashore, surpass many we have experienced on more main-line ships. The staged production shows were the best we've seen, and the kids loved them. Many on-board activities are geared to various age groups and our grandkids loved those as well. The food was quite good, the cabins comfortable, and the staff helpful. The one drawback for adults -- 600 kids in one place at one time -- it was often crowded and noisy in public areas -- but that noise was from laughter and excitement and it was easy to get caught up in it.

Will we do it again? Yes, hopefully, and likely in early 2010 with a different family and two grandchildren who will then be ages 5 and 2. Our opinion -- go for it!

Here's why you should go for it: according to your signature, you've already sailed on a number of different cruise lines. This great fare on Disney will allow you to add yet another cruise line to your "history". And, you never know, you might LOVE it!

We do...!

CeleBrat

Ages 6 and 9 are perfect for a Disney cruise. I did a 3-night on Disney Wonder and it was great. My son, age 5 at the time, really loved the kids program and the whole ship. The cabin, a balcony, was so spacious and there was a little bath tub. There was the Mickey pool with the slide and the free sodas- including Rootbeer.

He loved the private island with Captain Jack Sparrow and all the other animated figures.

Really for young kids- I recommend doing Disney once. I wouldn't do it over and over but once really is a thrill for them.

As for the other ships you mentioned- they aren't the best of any fleet. If you aren't going to do Disney- do Celebrity or one of the newer RCL ships.

I wasn't clear - I was comparing the price because we just went on Monarch (4-day). Prior to that we had been on 7-day or 9-day cruises and thought that was the way to go. We were pleasantly surprised with the 4-day and thought it was a great (and much cheaper) vacation. We also thought it might be plenty long for the kids and that 7 days (8 including travel) might border on being too long of a vacation for them.

The 7-day newer RCCL ships look wonderful - and are about the same price as this Disney cruise. It is coming down to the question of whether this is a price on Disney we won't be able to find again - vs. being able to take 2 smaller cruises for the price of one big cruise.

Don't know if that makes sense.

Thanks - any more advice welcome.

Ooohhhh I gotcha now. The only thing that holds me back from recommending Disney is that you said your kids aren't really that into Disney. They are at a great age for Disney. But if they don't love Disney they may get bored.

I seriously got bored on our last Disney cruise. Yet we are doing it again so that my youngest can remember a Disney cruise...lol. :)

I would say our kids don't dislike Disney - it is just that they are not Disney fanatics (sp?) like some kids. We do read lots of the Disney stories and they like the characters, etc. It is just not something that they request all the time (like for clothes, toys, etc). My son, though, likes pirates and I think he'd really like the pirate ship at Castaway.

I wish this was not so hard to make a decision. I should rest assured that their first cruise is going to be great, no matter what we decide . . . lol

Thanks for your help.

I would say our kids don't dislike Disney - it is just that they are not Disney fanatics (sp?) like some kids. We do read lots of the Disney stories and they like the characters, etc. It is just not something that they request all the time (like for clothes, toys, etc). My son, though, likes pirates and I think he'd really like the pirate ship at Castaway.

I wish this was not so hard to make a decision. I should rest assured that their first cruise is going to be great, no matter what we decide . . . lol

Thanks for your help.

If your son likes pirates he would probably really enjoy a Disney cruise. In addition to the pirate ship at Castaway Cay he can see Captain Jack Sparrow on the cruise and best of all join in the fun of Pirate Night and the Pirate Party. The wait staff dresses as pirates and there is a big party on deck after dinner with a special pirate show and even fireworks. Lots of passengers dress up and join in the fun. It is one of my favorite features of the Disney cruise.

If your son likes pirates he would probably really enjoy a Disney cruise. In addition to the pirate ship at Castaway Cay he can see Captain Jack Sparrow on the cruise and best of all join in the fun of Pirate Night and the Pirate Party. The wait staff dresses as pirates and there is a big party on deck after dinner with a special pirate show and even fireworks. Lots of passengers dress up and join in the fun. It is one of my favorite features of the Disney cruise.

Agreed! The Pirate Party would be a blast for him!

We have been on two Disney cruises. In fact they were our first two cruises and what got us hooked on cruising in the first place. ... Disney cruises are definitely unique. You just can't get those special Disney touches on any other line and your kids are the perfect ages to enjoy it to the fullest. ... In my opinion a Disney cruise is something I would recommend any family do at least once. Now that our kids are older and we have discovered other lines and the value they offer, I would probably not to a Disney cruise again, at least for the prices they charge ...

Your experience and mine are almost identical! I'm still not sure how that Disney video promoting the cruise line ended up at our house... I still would like to go again on another Disney cruise coupled with a trip to WDW before my kids start leaving home.

About a year ago we had put down a deposit on a Disney cruise (7-night) that sails Oct. 4 - it is about $3,000 for 4 of us. ...

Our kids will be 9 and 6 at the time. The Disney cruise is on a week that they would miss 6 days of school including traveling to get there. The other cruises they would miss 3 days of school as we would go during a shortened week (not an option with the Disney cruise as it is just this one week that was the deal).

We are debating what to do. Part of me wonders if this is the cheapest we could ever hope to go on a Disney cruise for - ...- they are not huge Disney fans but they would like all the Disney stuff I'm sure. The other side is that they will probably like any cruise - and so maybe the extra money and time off school would not be worth it. We are also doing a Disney land vacation in 2009.

Opinions and advice needed. Thanks in advance.

I may be flamed for this but I wouldn't worry too much at ages 6 & 9 missing school. In the long haul missing 6 days of school won't make any difference in your children's educational success.

I would do Disney if you can afford it at least once. The experience is great on board and Castaway Cay is really fun. Having the characters wander around in a small setting on the ship is great for the kids - way different at the parks where one waits in line to get a photo. Also the entertainment is the best. We also liked studio sea for family entertainment and games.

Good luck with your decision.

About the school, let the teacher know about the trip ahead of time, get homework for them (we put them on "Independent Studies" for a week or more out of school). On the Disney website there is a letter for the school just for this purpose. It does matter, 6 day out of school and if they get sick during that same semester...in Cali we have SARB. They are getting really tight besides our school district is very very strict. I am using the letter minus the Disney stuff for our cruise. The school/school district really done want you to take them out for very long because they don't get that money, so you put them on an Independent Study Program and they will shut-up so to speak.

We are taking our 5yr old out of school in Oct for 2 weeks, 1 day of school and even for Kindergarten they can stay behind...as for the cruise, they'll love it and you'll wonder why you even fret over it at all.;)

If you can't find the letter, email me dszubi@sbcglobal.net and put something in the subject re: CC - Disney letter or you'll get deleted as spam.

It does matter, 6 day out of school and if they get sick during that same semester...in Cali we have SARB.

It doesn't in my school district in PA. They built in a "One Week Family Vacation Leave" into their school policy. :D

But we do always let the teachers know ahead of time, no doubt.

About the school, let the teacher know about the trip ahead of time, get homework for them (we put them on "Independent Studies" for a week or more out of school). On the Disney website there is a letter for the school just for this purpose. It does matter, 6 day out of school and if they get sick during that same semester...in Cali we have SARB. They are getting really tight besides our school district is very very strict. I am using the letter minus the Disney stuff for our cruise. The school/school district really done want you to take them out for very long because they don't get that money, so you put them on an Independent Study Program and they will shut-up so to speak.

We are taking our 5yr old out of school in Oct for 2 weeks, 1 day of school and even for Kindergarten they can stay behind...as for the cruise, they'll love it and you'll wonder why you even fret over it at all.;)

If you can't find the letter, email me dszubi@sbcglobal.net and put something in the subject re: CC - Disney letter or you'll get deleted as spam.

Just curious- what is SARB?

Archived