Fuel surcharge going up to $11

NCL Corp. is raising its fuel supplement from $9 to $11 per person, per day for the first and second passenger in a cabin. For additional passengers in the room, the amount is going from $4 to $5 per person, per day.

The amounts apply to new reservations made on or after June 20.

That's an extra $225.00 for a family of 4 on a 7 day cruise :eek:

Suddenly camping in the backyard with the family does not seem to be such a bad idea (firepit, marshmallows, lemonade, polish sausage, hot cocao and cold beer :D )

Suddenly camping in the backyard with the family does not seem to be such a bad idea (firepit, marshmallows, lemonade, polish sausage, hot cocao and cold beer :D )

but are the beds comfortable?

Nita

What gets me is that NCL ships are not sailing at capacity. We leave Sunday on the Dawn (our 3rd cruise on the Dawn and our first that hasn't been full). Why do these cruise lines think that aren't selling out like just a year ago? Money is tight for everyone. If they keep raising fuel surcharges, they might as well accept that they'll be sailing with fewer passengers.

Yet, you can hardly blame the cruise lines for raising fuel surcharges. Fuel is more expensive. A lot more expensive.

I totally agree, everything and everyone is being affected by what is happening in the fuel industry. I am surprised it didn't happen a year or more ago.

Nita

What gets me is that NCL ships are not sailing at capacity. We leave Sunday on the Dawn (our 3rd cruise on the Dawn and our first that hasn't been full). Why do these cruise lines think that aren't selling out like just a year ago? Money is tight for everyone. If they keep raising fuel surcharges, they might as well accept that they'll be sailing with fewer passengers.

If they were worried about the price of their cruise and wanted to sell out their ships, they would drop the price. Unfortunately, they aren't in the business to provide $5 one week cruises, are they. They are in the business to earn a buck, not lose their shirts.

I agree, the fuel costs are effecting everything.:eek: I just setup a CC group cruise to Bermuda for next year and hope it doesn't effect the prices I was quoted. I'll find out tomorrow when the details are finalized. In either case, I'm booking tomorrow so I shouldn’t be effected and I can drive to the port.;) Click on the link below if you'd like more info and would like to join the group!

Thanks for the update. It is not a surprise though as NCL has been in the position in the recent past of having the highest fuel supplement among mass market cruise lines. Glad they feel their bookings are strong enough to command a higher premium over their competition. More power to them.

I really like your thinking. Especially the cold beer part..

Unfortunately this is just the tip of the iceberg. I literally just watched a report on NBC News that talked about the travel crisis. Jet fuel has increased 100% in just the past 12 months. (I'm sure that fuel for the ships has also increased nearly that amount.) The airline industry is calling this a crisis that will be far worse than 9/11 and many won't survive.

They are predicting a 75-100% increase in airfares over the next 9 months. Some airlines are mothballing planes and decreasing the number of available seats. Even then they say the airlines won't be turning a profit.

They also said that as a result, many leisure travelers are simply going to stay home due to the high costs. That will lead to lost revenue for many tourist destinations and tourist activities. It would appear that the cruise industry is going to be facing the same issues that the airline industry is going to face. Will families from the midwest and Rocky Mountains be willing to pay $1000 a person just to fly to the cruise ports?? Those on the east coast, Florida and west coast can obviously drive to the ports, but those of us in the middle are kinda stuck....

Just as NCL launches their F3 program and RCCL is launching the Genesis program, the number of cruisers is probably still going to drop. Doesn't bode well for the success of those.

We are totally doing the happy dance for living in Florida, so no airfare costs for us! :D

But....I work in tourism here in Florida, so this does not bode well for my job. :confused:

$11 pp per day. Ouch! I remember the days when you could get a cruise for $60 pp/per day. I wonder what the ceiling will be...$25 pp/per day...or more...?

CeleBrat

Or they could sail full far below cost and bleed millions. Not going to happen. The surcharge generates far more revenue that a few empty cabins.

But....I work in tourism here in Florida, so this does not bode well for my job. :confused:

CeleBrat

I think a lot of the area that rely on tourism just might have a lot to worry about (Orlando, Tahoe, Hawaii, Vegas etc). So to try to help you out, I booked flights and a vacation in Orlando for early Sept ;). Besides, we always have fun there :D

So that means the old (current) fuel surcharge is $182 for a family of four. Under the new prices, it will be $224, or a difference of $42. I sure liked it better last cruise when there was no surcharge, but I can't blame the cruise industry for passing on their increased costs.

To put it into perspective, that's about 56 gallons of regular auto fuel, or 4 fill-ups on a mid size car at current fuel prices (~4.00/gal). Not sure how that makes me feel, but it was fun to calculate. :rolleyes:

In the words of the Carpenters, I'm afraid "We've Only Just Begun." The price of a barrel of oil went up $7. today and "experts" are predicting $150. a barrel oil by July 4th? Unemployment increased much more than expected and the stock market is way down today. At a time when airlines are phasing out their huge, fuel burning planes, the cruise industry is building bigger fuel burning mega-ships. As fewer and fewer people book liesure travel, more and more jobs will be lost creating even less potential customers. It's a vicious cycle. If this is not a recession, I don't know what is?

Unfortunately this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Just as NCL launches their F3 program and RCCL is launching the Genesis program, the number of cruisers is probably still going to drop. Doesn't bode well for the success of those.

They may have to sell those ships for scraps before they even sail.

Below, Pictures of the way people might be cruising in the next couple of years:

boat_people.jpg

boat-people20040229.JPG

... mosquitos, snakes, rain, wind, humidity, dishes, leftovers, no ice, ....:rolleyes:

I wonder why NCl did not hedge their fule costs with options for lower costing fuel when they were available like airlines do???-- was it because they are already are in bad financial straits and had no money available???Southwest Airlines did that and so far they are the only airline not asking for extra fuel surcharges, baggage charges etc.

My guess is when fuel costs settle down, NCL will not reduce the fuel surcharges-- they will just increase their cruise price because

the market will bare it.

big green

My guess is when fuel costs settle down, NCL will not reduce the fuel surcharges-- they will just increase their cruise price because

the market will bare it.

big green

I hope you're correct and fuel costs eventually settle down!

I think though that, like the airlines often do, if one or two of the cruise lines go the other way and don't increase the cruise price, the others will fall that same way to keep their prices somewhat comparable (but I've been wrong lots of times b4) ;)

... mosquitos, snakes, rain, wind, humidity, dishes, leftovers, no ice, ....:rolleyes:

I got everything covered:

1. Mosquito = Mosquito Repellant

2. Snakes = Snacks

3. Rain = Raincoat/Tent

4. Wind = Windbreaker/Tent (Unless my wife breaks one or two :D )

5. Humidity = Lot of Cold Beer

6. Dishes = Paper Plates

7. Leftovers = Dog

8. No Ice = Ice Cooler

Archived