Interesting info on Tips for servers/bar tenders

Somehow, if the pay was as low as some feel it to be, I suspect you wouldn't find as many on their 3rd, 5th, etc contract--or those who have been at sea for 15 years.

Granted, since pay is based on the dollar, they've taken a pretty good hit lately. However, our waitress on one cruise said if she had stayed home in India, she'd be making about $300 a month working for the government. This would be in her field, and she has a master's degree in Government management (or something like that). So far, she has put her sister through college, bought her mother a new house (no dirt floor, and a roof that doesn't leak). Yes, she'll probably quit when the biological clock strikes, but not now.

Do they work hard, and long hours? You betcha. Golly, so do some of our soldiers, for not much more.

so do some of our soldiers, for not much more.

Boy, isn't that the truth!!

Um, you opened up someone's mail? :(

That is a Criminal Code offence up here.

Yeah, and I also find the story hard to believe.

Wouldn't an employee of the airport know where to take the envelope? I am sure there was a name on it. :rolleyes:

It is not as nice as one would believe. They work 7 days a week, and except for a few port days, depending on the shifts, or station they work, they are working 10-12 hrs or more per day. They sign 6 mo contracts at a time, with 2 months off in between. Would you do that for about say 25K per yr, less what ever their country taxes them on their income? It really is close to poverty level, although most come from very poor countries to start with, where there really is no employment. The free room and board really means nothing. A lot of them have families back home, and their money goes back to support them.

Do they work hard, and long hours? You betcha. Golly, so do some of our soldiers, for not much more.

Um, yeah, I was thinking curley's post sounds a lot like what my husband does, and his starting salary was $25K. Enlisted make a lot less. Oh, and he has a ten year contract.

As for the so called ‘Tip Pool’ I suggest some of you ardent believers have a read of this link. Pay particular attention to the Direct Tipping section.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/consumer/tipping06.cfm

Interesting article but keep in mind that it was written over 2 years ago and cruise line policies could have changed since then. :)

If I took that server's monthly pay and added to it my monthly mortgage, utilities, real estate taxes, food, car payment, car insurance and gas costs (all of which the contract cruise employee doesn't have due to free room and board) that's a nice salary.

Interesting article but keep in mind that it was written over 2 years ago and cruise line policies could have changed since then. :)

Exactly my point' date=' little of the drivel thats written has any substance. Things 'could' have changed but until hard evidence to the contrary, why do some of you persist in nothing more than chinese whispers. Every few weeks a bit more gets added on to the story (see the last line in red of your post). By next month it will probably include the barman & the Maitre De. Next year the Captain!!

If you don't do the auto tip, all cash given to anyone is supposed to be turned in and will be split evenly among them. They are under an honor system to turn it in and they can/will be fired for theft if they are caught not doing so. This includes the server, asst server and your room steward.

Exactly my point, little of the drivel thats written has any substance. Things 'could' have changed but until hard evidence to the contrary, why do some of you persist in nothing more than chinese whispers. Every few weeks a bit more gets added on to the story (see the last line in red of your post). By next month it will probably include the barman & the Maitre De. Next year the Captain!!

If you don't do the auto tip, all cash given to anyone is supposed to be turned in and will be split evenly among them. They are under an honor system to turn it in and they can/will be fired for theft if they are caught not doing so. This includes the server, asst server and your room steward.

I think you are incorrect. They are able to keep whatever you give them. If not, they wouldn't give the highest level of service possible because it would not boost what they make by that much. It is just like going into a restaurant that adds the gratuity to the bill for large parties. Have you ever noticed that the service is not as good. I own 2 restaurants and refuse to add gratuity to the large parties because of that exact reason. The servers usually make more than if the gratuity was already added.

It is not as nice as one would believe. They work 7 days a week, and except for a few port days, depending on the shifts, or station they work, they are working 10-12 hrs or more per day. They sign 6 mo contracts at a time, with 2 months off in between. Would you do that for about say 25K per yr, less what ever their country taxes them on their income? It really is close to poverty level, although most come from very poor countries to start with, where there really is no employment. The free room and board really means nothing. A lot of them have families back home, and their money goes back to support them.

Not certain that the country of origin of the employee truly has nexus considering that wages are earned in international waters. I do agree that the employees on a cruise ship deserve every dime that they make.

If I took that server's monthly pay and added to it my monthly mortgage, utilities, real estate taxes, food, car payment, car insurance and gas costs (all of which the contract cruise employee doesn't have due to free room and board) that's a nice salary.

True, but the server may also have a mortgage, utilities, real estate taxes, children to feed, car payment, car insurance etc to pay at home for his family, no? Could you make all those payments on that salary?

Yeah and they CHOSE the job.

That $1221.89 was not earned on an 80 hour pay period! Also, they must buy their own uniforms, RCI only flys them one way (to the ship/home), they have to pay for the other ticket (to the ship/home), then there's the tipping they do to their support below decks. I think it was Princess that charged them $10 a week to pay the crew galley workers etc. That bar person made half what my husband makes in a week, and we're just making ends meet!

Pity pity pity. I do not pity anyone who works on a cruise ship. It is their choice to work there.

I had to buy my own uniform. I have to pay for my own way to work. I worked hard everyday for long hours and I don't get tips.

I get by fine and on less than what that crew member is making.

Gratuities 15% Total Pay: $1,221.89
That doesn't sound half bad to me.

I'm a teacher with 15 years' experience, and that's more than I bring home in two weeks -- not more than I earn, but more than the government lets me keep. Since these folks don't pay taxes the way we do in the US, I assume he was able to keep it all.

Oh, and don't forget that I'm paying for my own house, gas, and groceries. His accomodations might not be luxurious, but they were free!

True, but the server may also have a mortgage, utilities, real estate taxes, children to feed, car payment, car insurance etc to pay at home for his family, no? Could you make all those payments on that salary?
Or he might be a young person who wanted to go live on a ship, meet interesting new people, and see new places before he settles down. Or he might be a person who doesn't get along well with his family (or doesn't have family) and thought this'd be a good way to work hard and live cheaply for a couple years while saving up for his education.

Any number of "or he might be"s could be suggested. I assume that each person who works on a ship (or anywhere else, for that matter) has made an adult decision to work there. I assume that he or she chose the best job available for his or her education and ability level. I assume that they're better off than some've the people in my hometown who work at McDonalds or Walmart. We don't really know anything about their lives outside of the ship, and it's really not our business.

• 1 month later...

Originally Posted by wolfcathorse

That bar person made half what my husband makes in a week, and we're just making ends meet!

yes i agree, those of you making statements like- wow this is poverty level- are really twisted...your husband makes double that in ONE---ONE WEEK! youre not just making ends meet, youre either living waaay over your means or just bragging..im a registered nurse and make that exact amount in 2 weeks..so i think its average pay, otherwise all of you on here are telling me im in poverty??? i sure did know that..i live within my means and appreciate every penny i make...oh and i only go on one cruise a year, not 5....

REALLY?????? Considering they have free room and board, and free food. OHH AND YOUR RUDE!

He's rude. Aren't you rude for publishing this person's private information. Granted he left it behind, by mistake I am sure, but this doesn't give you the right to tell everyone what he made. And from what I see it is his pay for work plus gratuities not just gratuities.

Archived