Off the Beaten Path

saileyellie

...as far as shore excursions go, what have you done that's off the beaten path, or different from the typical tourist options? Any neat bookshops, coffeehouses, wildlife areas or such that aren't overrun with cruise tourism mania? Or maybe you just tried something that appealed to you, but that you don't hear about often. I got a guidebook for Alaskan Ports of Call and it lists the same excursions that NCL's website does. What else is there?

For instance, I read on Budget Travel, that a thing not to miss is buying fresh fish from dock vendors - caught that morning and cooked up just as you get off ship. sounds delicious!

What are your ports?

For Juneau, IMO, it's worth renting a car to get to those hidden spots, although there's many unexplored corners even downtown. Just start walking up into the hills above town. It's impossible to get lost, although the stairs and hills may give you a heart attack.

A 'hidden' bookstore is The Observatory up Franklin Street past the last trinket shop. Dee is pure Alaska, from her collection of Alaska-themed books, to her big ol' sleeping dog getting in your way.

For instance, I read on Budget Travel, that a thing not to miss is buying fresh fish from dock vendors - caught that morning and cooked up just as you get off ship. sounds delicious!

Where was that supposed to be? 'Cause I'd love to try that myself! ;)

Are you talking about salmon bakes?? My preference in Juneau is Thane Ore House. There is plenty you can see and do, outside of the hords of people. Even simple walking tours. :) I like the cargo runs/mail flights for getting to those out of the way areas. It's an eye opener being able to get a peek of a different way of life.

But overall my Alaska experiences are "off the beaten Path", just how I travel.

since I enjoy quilting I will be checking out the fabric stores for unique Alaskan prints. I know there is a fabric store in Sitka that looks interesting. I checked it out on the internet and even saw prints that I like. any other quilters out there?

since I enjoy quilting I will be checking out the fabric stores for unique Alaskan prints. I know there is a fabric store in Sitka that looks interesting. I checked it out on the internet and even saw prints that I like. any other quilters out there?

We were in skagway a couple of weeks ago and there was a fabric/quilt store in downtown. Now it was off of the main st.(Broadway) and for the life of me cannot remember what the street name was. So when you are walking downtown just look down the side streets. i wish that I could remember the name but if you do a search about Skagway maybe it will come up.

marilyn

Fresh Fish was in Wrangell, at the docks.

I don't believe any of the cruise lines go to Wrangell. This small town built a new dock for the ships and then was told, sorry. :mad:

It's definitely a 'real' Alaska town if anyone gets the chance to go there independently.

Let's face it. We are all going to Alaska with our closest 2000 friends (unless you are on Cruise West which has only a few pax) and will be in towns with 6000 more outsiders who have disembarked from ships. So you are going to have to experience SOME congestion in the dock area before you find your out of the way places.

But if you pre-schedule your tours privately, you will be with much smaller groups and will not feel the "get on the bus" syndrome you get from ship's tours (nothing wrong with the security one might need to feel on a ship's tour. I'm only responding to the poster who wants to get away from that).

And keep in mind that your time in port is short. There is so much to see and do. You will just have to decide what is important to you. it is possible to do a private tour and still walk to the hidden gems.

Archived