Take my passport on shore or not?

Twoweebles, sometimes you simply do not have a choice if you want to stay. In some countries when you check into a hotel, they take your passport. You have a choice of course, don't check into a hotel in that location or turn over your passport. On some cruises the port authorities will demand that the ship have possession of all the passports when they come into that port. You again have a choice, don't go on the ship to that port/country or turn over your passport. You may not be comfortable but in some countries you really do not have a choice if you want to visit them. If you do turn it over, the local authorities will know that you did it since it is their requirement. Simply put that is just the way it is.

I'm not sure - maybe they're matching it to your electronic photo from your cruise card??? :rolleyes:

I don't disagree with you about turning over my passport - I've had a passport since I was 16, and was always of the thought that it was my "lifeline" to my home country when travelling. But when you check in at the pier in Valparaiso, you're not given a choice, they keep your passport & give you a numbered receipt for it.

Well then, I will never go there. I am a well-traveled, savvy individual who has been around the world since I was two years old. Noone gets my passport. Noone I trust enough. So I would simply not disembark.:mad:

• 2 weeks later...
While on a cruise earlier this year, I had the oppurnutiy to have breakfast w/the Captian. During our discussion he told us that he always recommends that no matter the country, you take your ship card, passport and a credit card with enough funds to get you to the next port. If you do miss the ship, you will have to leave the country that you are in and get into the next country and will need to have your passport to do so. And of course, you will need the credit card to make the arrangements.

I leave copies of our passports with family here in the states and in the ship safe.

~Lilly

I agree with this wholeheartedly. We missed our ship in St. Thomas pre 911. We're Canadian. We only had our ship ID, a bit of cash and a Visa (with no knowledge of our PIN number to get a cash advance). I would recommend your passport, credit card, ship card, cash and your driver's license. We couldn't even rent a car without one and had to get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale and wait for the ship to arrive back in port 4 days later! Don't take any chances - you never know!!!

Twoweebles, sometimes you simply do not have a choice if you want to stay. In some countries when you check into a hotel, they take your passport. You have a choice of course, don't check into a hotel in that location or turn over your passport. On some cruises the port authorities will demand that the ship have possession of all the passports when they come into that port. You again have a choice, don't go on the ship to that port/country or turn over your passport. You may not be comfortable but in some countries you really do not have a choice if you want to visit them. If you do turn it over, the local authorities will know that you did it since it is their requirement. Simply put that is just the way it is.

Is there a way to determine beforehand which countries and/or cruises want to take possession of your passport? I'd like to avoid them.

Take your passport, driver's license, credit card (with knowledge of your pin) and your ship ID. We missed the ship in St. Thomas with nothing but our snorkel gear, ship ID and credit card and a bit of cash. Couldn't rent a car without a license. Had to get from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale to wait for the ship to arrive 4 days later! We can laugh now, not so funny then.........

Is there a way to determine beforehand which countries and/or cruises want to take possession of your passport? I'd like to avoid them.

I had it happen to me in Europe. I don't know how you can find out. I really did not worry about it. I handed it over and when I left they gave it back. I believe the communist countries were particularly bad about it. Maybe some others have better knowledge.

Take your passport, driver's license, credit card (with knowledge of your pin) and your ship ID. We missed the ship in St. Thomas with nothing but our snorkel gear, ship ID and credit card and a bit of cash. Couldn't rent a car without a license. Had to get from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale to wait for the ship to arrive 4 days later! We can laugh now, not so funny then.........

Sorry to hear about your misadventure. Missing the ship happens quite often for many reasons. I just got off the RCL Adventure in the Southern Caribbean. We left two pax in Curacao and two in St Thomas. I was told the two that we left in Curacao were able to get to St Thomas but never heard about the other two. St Thomas though is about 45 miles from Puerto Rico. The captain did warn us at the first port of call to be sure and take our cameras with us. That is so we could take a picture of the ship leaving without us as we stood on the pier!

When I get off the ship at a port, I always carry my passport, DL and two credit cards. You never know when you might need them. Don't leave home without them.

• 4 months later...

We lost our daughters passport (age 10) in NZ (not on a cruise, and didnt decover it till we left to catch our plane to Australia)... They could not let us on the plane with out first consulting Australia to give us permission.... I didnt have copys of any of our PPorts but I would without a doubt... The questions because she was a child etc... My advise have photocopys too....

I have been in ports where you are required to take your passport with you; otherwise you couldn't get back on the ship. I have a little square thingy that hangs around my neck. It has a place for my passport, credit card and SeaPass, and a zipper pocket for change. I keep money in it as well and it stays under my clothes. I pull it out when necessary. That way it stays safe. I do keep copies at my office and in my suitcase in case of emergencies.

We always travel with our passports if we are in a foreign country. Why not? What if something happens? You never no. I would want to be able to get a flight if I had to. Well unless you want to spend 2 weeks there waiting for the paperwork to process to get you out of the country. Depending on what country that could be a positive or a negative.

Whew! That was a close one!!! We make copies of our passports before our trip and keep them with us when we go ashore, leaving our real ones in the safe. That way they can help you as long as you have the copy with the appropriate numbers, picture etc.

I just wanted to apologize for not reading the entire thread before jumping in with my 2 cents, sorry. When we went on the Legend last Sept. it was on these boards the tip to make copies and keep with you when going ashore etc. I believe it was the impression then that if you did get stranded the numbers from your passport on the copy would expedite things to get you on your way. After reading everyone elses posts, this in retrospect doesn't sound like the best way to go! Thanks for your patience! Happy Cruising

• 2 weeks later...

I found all of the posts on this thread so interesting. We have traveled extensively and have almost never taken our passport on shore (although we do carry copies of the face pages). In fact, on our most recent Orient cruise, our passports were collected upon check-in at the pier. In some ports, they were returned to our stateroom as local authorities required that we carry them ashore. When we disembarked in Bangkok, we had lots of stamps that weren't there when we checked in. For those who say they will never give them up, don't plan to travel to destinations that require that they be in the hands of ship's personnel. I realize that many of the posts were referring to the Caribbean and rules there are somewhat lax. I remember being in Cairo in the early 80's and when I checked into the hotel, they collected my passport. I was distraught but later learned that this is the norm. That was my first introduction to having my passport out of my hands. If I want to travel to different places, I need to investigate what their procedures are. If I'm not comfortable with those procedures, I need to stay home.

I found all of the posts on this thread so interesting. We have traveled extensively and have almost never taken our passport on shore (although we do carry copies of the face pages). In fact, on our most recent Orient cruise, our passports were collected upon check-in at the pier. In some ports, they were returned to our stateroom as local authorities required that we carry them ashore. When we disembarked in Bangkok, we had lots of stamps that weren't there when we checked in. For those who say they will never give them up, don't plan to travel to destinations that require that they be in the hands of ship's personnel. I realize that many of the posts were referring to the Caribbean and rules there are somewhat lax. I remember being in Cairo in the early 80's and when I checked into the hotel, they collected my passport. I was distraught but later learned that this is the norm. That was my first introduction to having my passport out of my hands. If I want to travel to different places, I need to investigate what their procedures are. If I'm not comfortable with those procedures, I need to stay home.

You are exactly right! When we did a Med Cruise they collected our passports at embarkation and we got them back the night before disembarking. I guess we could have refused to give up our passports, but then they would have refused us boarding. They also collected our passports at check-in to our hotels in Barcelona and Venice and held them until we checked-out.

A very good friend of mine works for the State Department and he recommended taking the copy only and leaving the passport safe in the room. His reasoning? There are plenty of pickpockets that blanket touristy areas. If you lose the original passport, you'll be making a visit to the US Embassy to see someone like him! If you only lose the copy, you'll have less of a problem.

Second suggestion he made is to buy a money belt that stays inside your clothes. If you choose (or have to) carry the passport, there is a much less likely probability that they will be able to steal it from that place than a front or back pocket or separate bag.

A very good friend of mine works for the State Department and he recommended taking the copy only and leaving the passport safe in the room. His reasoning? There are plenty of pickpockets that blanket touristy areas. If you lose the original passport, you'll be making a visit to the US Embassy to see someone like him! If you only lose the copy, you'll have less of a problem.

Second suggestion he made is to buy a money belt that stays inside your clothes. If you choose (or have to) carry the passport, there is a much less likely probability that they will be able to steal it from that place than a front or back pocket or separate bag.

I'm not questioning your friend, or looking to argue, but I don't understand...... The copy is not legal proof of anything whatsoever. If you need your passport, I can not imagine anyone accepting a copy. Assuming I'm correct (??) why bother taking anything? It seems like a copy is worthless to carry in port.

Archived