Take my passport on shore or not?

Help! I need some clarification on whether or not to take my passport with me when we disembark in a foreign port.

I have never missed the ship (knock on wood) but have come very close to missing the ship.

Last year while on an MSC cruise we went to visit the Sandals Resort in St. Lucia for the day. Our cab ride was about 20 minutes to get to the Sandals resort in the morning.

We planned to leave Sandals about an hour and a half before we were due back at the cruise ship so we could do some shopping near the ship. We were having a good time drinking at the belly-up-bar when I realized that the bar clock had stopped. Upon checking my watch I realized that we were due back at the ship in 45 minutes. I thought no problem the cab ride back should only take about 20 minutes

When we caught the cab our cabbie was shocked when we told him were we wanted to go. He informed us that it was rush hour on the island and since St. Lucia had only one road it would take at least 50 – 60 minutes to get back to the ship. He though that we could get back to the ship in time providing there was not an accident or road construction causing additional delays.

Just our luck we ran into both an accident and road construction.

To make a long story short we made it back to the ship less than 5 minutes before it sailed. This was 25 minutes after we were supposed to be back. The ship had one small gangway out with a very irate officer waiting for us. As soon as she saw us she yelled at us to run. We ran, to the cheering of the other passengers watching us from the deck of the ship and there balconies, they pulled in the gangway right after us.

I often wonder what would have happened to us if we missed the ship. Obviously we would have had to catch-up at our own expense. But how does a foreigner in a foreign land fly from one country to another without a valid passport.

On occasion We’ve taken copies of our passports with us when going a shore but suspect that these may not due in the event that one gets stranded.

Please share your insights and experiences especially if you have been inadvertently stranded in port while on a cruise.

In the Caribbean, cruise passengers do not need passports to go ashore. To get back on the ship you'll need your ship ID and perhaps a picture ID (driver's lic.) Leave the passport in the safe on the ship! First--don't get "stranded!" That's an easy one! Always have your watch set to "ship's time". And, should it happen, there are procedures for it--it happens all the time, unfortunately! Now, if you're in Europe, I'd keep it with me.

In the Caribbean, cruise passengers do not need passports to go ashore. To get back on the ship you'll need your ship ID and perhaps a picture ID (driver's lic.) Leave the passport in the safe on the ship! First--don't get "stranded!" That's an easy one! Always have your watch set to "ship's time". And, should it happen, there are procedures for it--it happens all the time, unfortunately! Now, if you're in Europe, I'd keep it with me.

This I knew.

So what what happens if you Inadvertently got stranded? (accidents happen)

Would you want your passport?

Wouod you need your passport to catch up with the ship?

What's the "proceedures" - for the Caribbean - for Europe - for elsewhere and where can I find this information?

Why keep it with you in Europe and not in the Caribbean?

Americans can't get back into the USA via air or land without one - but I think I saw you are in Canada. You need to look at your ports of call and see what the requirements are for a Canadian to get from Point A to Point B to catch up with the ship, or to get from Point A back to Canada.

Personally, think would be way easier to just take passport with you. I didn't last cruise - because worried about losing it - and I wasn't taking any excursions etc so no worries about missing the boat. This time going to Paradise Beach in Cozumel and I will be taking my passport with me - just in case.

What's the "proceedures" - for the Caribbean - for Europe - for elsewhere and where can I find this information?

Why keep it with you in Europe and not in the Caribbean?

You will hear, make a copy and take that on shore. Leave your Passport in the safe. This is backwards. A copy will not get you to the next port or home. Leave a copy with a friend or in the safe in case you would lose it, take the real thing with you. They make waterproof holders, and other things to keep it safe. Without your passport, at the very least, there will be delays getting where you need to go. I would not be in another country without mine, you never know what can happen.

I was on a Med cruise with Celebrity in 2006 and again in 2007 and when we checked in, our passports were collected and copies given to us. The evening before we disembarked, we had to present the copy to them at which time they returned our passports.

I always find these threads on passports so interesting....

I always carry my passport with me, and keep a copy at home, where someone can find it if they need to, and a copy in my safe on the ship.

I've had a passport since I was born over 47 years ago and have always carried it everywhere, just like people carry their drivers license everywhere. When I married my DH 6 years ago, he thought that was odd, but then he didn't have a passport at all!

I was born in France to American Citizens. It used to be, when you traveled in Europe, you had to have a passport to go between countries, so everyone always carried theirs. I haven't been in many years, so I don't know how the EU thing works now.

I would not go into another country without my passport. I always leave a copy in the safe on the ship and another one in our luggage.

I also leave copies of other important documents in the safe and lugguage as well, like drivers lic., medical cards, medication list(if any), and main cruise/flight details. It just keep a back up of everything, just in case.

While on a cruise earlier this year, I had the oppurnutiy to have breakfast w/the Captian. During our discussion he told us that he always recommends that no matter the country, you take your ship card, passport and a credit card with enough funds to get you to the next port. If you do miss the ship, you will have to leave the country that you are in and get into the next country and will need to have your passport to do so. And of course, you will need the credit card to make the arrangements.

I leave copies of our passports with family here in the states and in the ship safe.

~Lilly

I've seen a lot of people recommend leaving the passport on the ship while in port since they "fear" they would lose it while ashore.

Consider this though...which costs less?

1--Visiting the local US embassy or consulate in a foreign country (Caribbean island) to get a super-mega-fast passport issued so you can either catch up with the ship on the next island or fly back to the US.

2--Losing your passport ashore, but still being able to return to the US via cruiseship (until the new passport laws go into effect). Then, replacing your stolen passport while back in the US, at your leisure, with no rush fees.

I chose option #2.

CeleBrat

I recently did a little "Googleing"

There are currently approximately 61 million valid US passports out there.

According to a recent congressional investigation there have been approximately 300 thousand US passports that have been reported "Lost or Stolen".

Remember that's 300,000 LOST or STOLEN not just stolen. So the people who put them in a drawer at home and them can't find them 3 years from now are still counted in this stat.

By my calculations that's less than 1/2 of 1% chance of your passport being lost ot stolen. I'd take those odds any day of the week.

For me, unless directed to turn it over (which you must do when visiting some countries), my passport is on my body any time I'm on foreign soil. Copies are kept in the safe and a copy with my emergency contact back home.

• 1 month later...

I don't care what country you are in...my advice is NEVER leave the ship without your passport! You would not get off a plane in Virgin Gorda or Aruba without it, would you?

Also...if you have any trouble while you are outside the US, or if you are stopped by a policeman on a routine stop, the first thing they will ask you for is your passport...AND THEY WILL NOT ACCEPT A XEROX COPY!!! All a copy will get you is a free pass to the local police station, and a "dime" to call the local consulate.

Then you will find that the US consulate will not be much help to you unless you have your passport on your person. Yes, they will help you get a replacement passport, but you will sit in a hotel room, in "protective custody" for up to 12 weeks before you get your new documents and are allowed to leave.

What a way to spend a vacation. (By the way, the cost of the hotel is on YOU!)

ALWAYS KEEP YOUR PASSPORT ON YOUR PERSON WHEN YOU ARE NOT ON THE SHIP!

On our cruise with Royal Caribbean last year, the ship held the passports of all passengers for the whole cruise. Maybe it was because we were an Australian charter. :)

Didn't cause any problems to us, but I know some people were unhappy because they couldn't draw money in Morea, Tahiti, without their passports. Fortunately, I always carry cash of the country I'm visiting, so was able to be a small time banker for those who wished to buy stamps and drinks.

BTW I don't carry my passport with me unless it is in a secret zippered pocket on my person.

I was born in France to American Citizens. It used to be, when you traveled in Europe, you had to have a passport to go between countries, so everyone always carried theirs. I haven't been in many years, so I don't know how the EU thing works now.

going to the UK or Ireland you have to show your passport. Traveling between countries on the continent, not necessarily, but it doesn't hurt to have them.

On our cruise with Royal Caribbean last year, the ship held the passports of all passengers for the whole cruise. Maybe it was because we were an Australian charter. :)

Didn't cause any problems to us, but I know some people were unhappy because they couldn't draw money in Morea, Tahiti, without their passports. Fortunately, I always carry cash of the country I'm visiting, so was able to be a small time banker for those who wished to buy stamps and drinks.

BTW I don't carry my passport with me unless it is in a secret zippered pocket on my person.

Why would the cruise line need to hold your passport? It's a passPORT, not passSHIP. It's an essential piece of your identification and I can't imagine turning it over to someone else for "safekeeping" or any other reason.

You leave a copy of your passport and insurance details at home in case all your luggage is stolen/goes missing.

It is also a good idea to leave a list of the contents of your luggage as well, or at least the more expensive items.

The person at home can fax a copy of these vital papers to you care of your Consulate to enable you to get a new passport/claim on your insurance.

If you are a young person and they think you might have sold your passport, getting a new passport could be a lengthy process.

I know of instances of all of the above!

First of all, any Canadian flying out of the country requires a passport. I believe it's the same for Americans. If you drive between the two countries you do not require a passport YET. I believe that rule comes into play in January 2009.

If you're in Europe, no you don't need to show your passport when travelling between countries on the continent but I can guarantee that if you're asked for ID at a hotel, bar or by police and you show them a driver's license from a state or province in Canada or the US they likely won't accept it.

Passports are the way to go when you're outside your own country whether it's only a trip to the Caribbean or Mexico or somewhere on the other side of the world. I always have mine in a money belt type thingy under my clothes.

I believe that when referencing carrying your passport, credit card, etc. in a money belt, Rick Steves said something along the lines of "You wear it under your clothes like your underwear and think about it, you could lose anything else or have stuff stolen but at the end of the day you're still wearing your underwear."

I agree that you will need it if you miss the ship and leaving it in the safe on the ship will not do you any good.

But what about snorkeling/water sports? I'm thinking it would look silly and be impractical to strap a waterproof money belt to me when we are all in the water. The entire group will go, so there isn't anyone to watch it on the excusion boat or on shore.

Do you leave it in a backpack and hope for the best?

I always take mine, my DH's and the kids passports into every port. I bought a Vera Bradley backpack solely because it has a zipper pocket on the part that goes against my back. No one knows the pocket is there, and it is the perfect size to fit all 4 passports. Stealing the passports would be near impossible, because I am wearing them against me. This silly backpack is one thing I will not travel without!

Kim

Archived